ATX Community

IRS begins accepting PTIN renewals

JRS

IRS begins accepting PTIN renewals — but with problems (10-19-2011)

"As of today, the IRS has made available their online PTIN renewal system.

However, three of us at Spidell went online to renew and all three of us experienced problems. After an hour on the phone with the IRS, they informed us that "hundreds" of people have called with similar problems and it would probably be a "couple of weeks before the bugs are worked out."

• Like 1

IRS begins accepting PTIN renewals — but with problems (10-19-2011)

"As of today, the IRS has made available their online PTIN renewal system.

However, three of us at Spidell went online to renew and all three of us experienced problems. After an hour on the phone with the IRS, they informed us that "hundreds" of people have called with similar problems and it would probably be a "couple of weeks before the bugs are worked out."

I waited until 2nd week of December last year for just this very reason!!!

The IRS need new/better programmers!!

There was a glitch the other morning. I completed the online registration successfully, but I couldn't pay the fee. I tried several times and gave up. Later that afternoon, I gave it another shot, and I was able to pay the $ 63. Maybe they were doing some kind of web maintenance. I had the same thing happen when I tried to renew my CPA license--got all the way up to paying and got an error message. The next day I went back in and paid for my license renewal.

So, if at first you don't succeed--give up! (or try, try again)

I tried to renew last night and ran into problems. Today, same thing.

I also have a question. Next to the credientials for my CPA certificate, the system requires an expiration date. Technically the CPA certificate itself doesn't have an expiration date, but I have State of Del individual and firm permits to practice that correspond with the 2-year CPE reporting requirements. So would I use that date as the expiration? I think that's what I did last year.

My license expires every year in November. I thought it might look funny to say that it expired in November 2011 so I renewed it as soon as possible after submitting the PTIN information since I had indicated November 2012 on the PTIN renewal. Some states may not have an expiration date and would let it remain unexpired as long as you paid the fees, took the CPE and stayed out of jail.

What if everyone refused to do tax returns until we have the acknowledgment of our current PTIN registration in our hands?

My initial registration was Dec. 2010. I received my acknowledgment in the mail Sep. 2011.

I will not feel adequately authorized until I have the acknowledgment in my hands. To prepare a return without being properly authorized by the IRS would be an infraction of the most egregious kind.