ATX Community

Dear Client

RitaB

Dear Client,

Thank you for calling on Jan 31 to tell me you were coming Feb 1, then showing up Mar 1. Thanks for saying, "Oh, I understand!" when I told you I am two weeks behind. Thanks for calling anyway on Mar 4 to see if I'm done. You are hands down my favorite client now.

• Like 3

Isn't that the truth? Rita has it covered. Why is it that this particular week of the year everyone decides to call and ask if their taxes are done. I am beginning to sound like an echo saying "There are forty ahead of you!" And.........they just keep coming.

• Like 3

Dear Client,

Thank you for calling on Jan 31 to tell me you were coming Feb 1, then showing up Mar 1. Thanks for saying, "Oh, I understand!" when I told you I am two weeks behind. Thanks for calling anyway on Mar 4 to see if I'm done. You are hands down my favorite client now.

P. S. I will call you the minute your return is done. I anticipate that it will be Saturday at 6:00 am.

• Like 2

I love you, too. :wub:

And, I was not kidding. People that rush me to do their return get called early Saturday morning. :mad:

I am hoping some others have some "Dear Client" letters to share; this was great fun when we did this once before. I really need some jocularity over here, cause I'm pretty sure that the next person who walks in here and says, "Bet you are getting busy, huh?" will be leaving on a stretcher.

• Like 1

Dear Client: No, I will not just 'quickly glance over' the return you did on Turbo Tax just to make sure 'you didn't miss something major'. I am, however, glad to hear that doing taxes is really easy because all you have to do is 'punch in the numbers, and the computer does it for you'. Why don't you hang a shingle?

Ever so sincerely . . .

• Like 2

Dear Client,

For the nineteenth time, I do NOT know how to fill out the financial aid form for your sons' private school. I understand that the financial advisor who sent you to me is not in his office today. (He is probably hiding in the closet from your endless calls; he has already apologized profusely to me for sending you here.) However, that -still- doesn't make me suddenly able to help you with the financial aid forms.

I truly cannot understand -why- the financial aid administrator at the school doesn't want to help you, either. It must be one of those mysteries. And not even that fact makes me suddenly able to assist you (for free!) with those forms.

Have a great life. Preferably far from here.

• Like 2

Dear client,

I warned you when you came to me with your foreclosure through Bank of America that they were notorious for getting issues wrong. Since you cash-out refi'd, there should be a 1099-C in addition to the 1099-A they issued, which appears to have an incorrect FMV on it, especially since I looked online and it showed the property was sold for far less than the FMV they reported. No, I do not know of any way to force BofA to give you correct info or not drop your calls. Please do not rant on the phone to me regarding BofA. Outside of calling the state attorney general's office, I can't help you get the form, but I really do need to know if one was issued. Yes, I agree being told one was mailed to you on 2/28, and later being told one was not issued, and having other BofA employees confuse the form with a 1098 is frustrating. But don't rant to me. I already have an ulcer, and had to take an evening off due to a flare-up after your call.

• Like 2

Dear Client,(s)

Since you all live within a couple miles from me, when I ask for your phone number, please do not start with the area code. I KNOW what your frikkin area code is. I could open up the window and yell at you, so yes, I know what area code you are from!!!!

I know! I sit there not writing, and they stand there waiting for me to write, and it's the only area code in this town.

Dear Client,

Thanks for bringing in that sticker off your new windows that has the geographical area shaded that qualifies for the tax credit that you will not be receiving. Thanks for not noticing that our state is as white as the driven snow on there. Clear as a bell. Like an albino, actually. Enjoy your windows.

• Like 1

Dear Client,

No, finding out today that you're leaving on vacation will not make me complete your returns this afternoon. It's already 5 p.m. Considering you booked your flights and hotel ages ago, why didn't you mention this when you dropped off your materials?! And, you definitely will NOT have your refund by tonight.

• Like 2

Dear Client,

I am sorry that you took a $50,000 early distribution from your retirement account and had just 10% taxes withheld to cover the penalty and that you did not consider (or your financial adviser did not explain the tax consequences) the Federal and State taxes on the distribution in addition to the penalty. I feel terrible that you now have a combined tax due that exceeds $10,000 and you don't have the money. Perhaps if you consulted with us prior to taking the distribution, we could have offered you advice to help, strategies, etc.

Please stop yelling at me....

• Like 5

Dear Client,

No, finding out today that you're leaving on vacation will not make me complete your returns this afternoon. It's already 5 p.m. Considering you booked your flights and hotel ages ago, why didn't you mention this when you dropped off your materials?! And, you definitely will NOT have your refund by tonight.

Just received this in an e-mail... Names removed to protect the guilty!!

<<<"I will be mailing in our tax info by the end of this week. I am planning a trip out of town April 11th thru the 18th. I know I have to sign our taxes before you electronically send them? My husband wanted to make sure that we will get them before I leave for out of town. Can you advise me on when I will be able to get the paperwork back, and or if I should postpone my trip. I realize I should have gotten you the info before now, I apologize for the lateness.">>>

Ya just gotta love our clients!!!

• Like 1

New phone message: Thank you for calling, I am not answering the phone today, the more time I spend on the phone ansereing, "How are you coming on my return" and then spending 10 min listeing to your need for the tax return because you have some bill that is due tommorow, and OH by the way you still need to get me ...... and once I get that information, which I told you about when you dropped off your work 3 weeks ago, then I will be done with your return in about anohter week. And by the time I talk with 25 to 30 calls, most of the day is gone, and I have not got a thing done So have a nice day, leave a message and I will call you back this evening before I close up for the day, hope you like phone calls after 9 pm

It must be March Maddness

• Like 3

Dear Client,

I am sorry that you took a $50,000 early distribution from your retirement account and had just 10% taxes withheld to cover the penalty and that you did not consider (or your financial adviser did not explain the tax consequences) the Federal and State taxes on the distribution in addition to the penalty. I feel terrible that you now have a combined tax due that exceeds $10,000 and you don't have the money. Perhaps if you consulted with us prior to taking the distribution, we could have offered you advice to help, strategies, etc.

Please stop yelling at me....

I have lost clients over such issues. It's always my fault that they had to pay tax.

Dear client:

If your dependent child has already filed their tax return on line, claiming themselves, so they can get their $39 refund check back because they didn't fill out their W-4 as exempt, that's your problem, and yes - you will pay for their amended return. And no, you can't efile now with them on your return. And yes - your refund will now take forever. Hey - he's your kid.

• Like 4