ATX Community

WIN8

Randall

I changed the subject line from the 2012 ATX subject.

Jack,

Does ATX, QB, Peachtree and programs like that have any problems running on W8?

Does W8 have crash problems? stall or close out programs?

Are there installation problems installing these programs with W8?

Any problems with multiple programs open in W8?

I think Vista did have some of these problems.

WIN 8 is mouse unfriendly. I do not have any systems, nor do any of my computer customers have systems (at least not yet) witn WIN8 on them.

I was at a vendor symposium at Infotel (google them if you want to know about them) where Microsoft had a tablet PC with WIN 8 on it, and another desktop with WIN 8. After my hands on experience doing the basic things, I stand by my recommendations.

Go to a computer store and try it yourself hands on. You will HATE the interface for WIN 8, unlsess you are using a touchscreen device.

I just bought a Laptop that came with WIN8. Will load ATX2012 later today and let the board know the results.

I have already loaded ATX Client writeup and is working fine. However as Jack pointed out there is a learning curve for WIN 8 if you do not have the touchscreen.

DevM,

Does your laptop have touchscreen? Which laptop did you buy? How much ram? HD? the traditional HD or the ssd (solid state)? I'm looking at laptops? I'm finding you have to be careful because so many of the offerings (with W8) don't really have the touchscreen. Those with touchscreen have limited ram and either the traditional hd or a small ssd.

Win 8 does not take more "computer" to run than Win 7. Some units on the shelf with Win 8 are the exact same thing which was available a few months ago with Win 7.

Win 8 works fine without touchscreen. (While touch can be useful, those inputting numbers and letters will likely be forever in need of keyboard entry, which MS is well aware of.)

There is a way to simulate a fairly familiar desktop with Win 8, instead of the "tiles".

Unless an application was doing something it probably should not have been doing, anything which worked with Win 7 (and probably Vista and XP) will work with Win 8. I still use dbase III (circa 1986) on a daily basis - which works fine with every flavor of Win so far.

Despite thoughts (and some good reasoning) of doing so, MS is not likely to introduce a desktop OS which breaks existing applications. Application developers should not use OS dependent code (easy to do). While it would be nice sometimes to use some code, trick, or function available in one particular OS, supporting different versions for different OS releases is expensive and makes little sense.

Jack is correct and gives sage advice. No reason to add more unknowns right before anyone's busy time. On the other hand, I would add "new" is a relative term. MS has been making their "new" items available for public trial months before release, which is always after they have tested it fairly well in a closed beta test. A "new" OS has been used plenty before official release, and does not worry me.

What do I use most? Vista for daily work as there is nothing I need from a new computer, and it takes time (read costs money) to "move" into a newer computer. Have others with XP, 7, and 8 for non work use, and for testing. I actually just threw away my set of Win 3.1 install floppies last Friday...

I had 720k floppies for Win 3.1, not the fancy 1.44's. Sometimes I wish we had to learn to use our computers... There is a distinct trade off between hiding the operation from the user and the power of knowing what is happening. I suppose a fair comparison is becoming a preparer versus paying for some preparation software!

• Like 1

I had 720k floppies for Win 3.1, not the fancy 1.44's. Sometimes I wish we had to learn to use our computers... There is a distinct trade off between hiding the operation from the user and the power of knowing what is happening. I suppose a fair comparison is becoming a preparer versus paying for some preparation software!

Do you recognize this? Load *.*,8,1

I'm using Windows 8 on one computer, which is a home theater PC. For that purpose, I find it works well. As far as stability/crashing, I haven't noticed any change from Windows 7. It runs and especially boots faster than Windows 7. Sleep/hibernation is also improved. It's got a Storage Spaces feature which I like, it protects against hard drive failure by making data redundant across multiple drives.

The new interface (Start Menu/Screen? Whatever it's called?) would likely drive me crazy to use on any computer where I'm trying to get actual work done, switching back and forth between the new and old desktop. It could be that I'm just too used to the old start menu, but I'm doing my best to keep from installing one of the third party start menu programs to see if I'll eventually become more comfortable with the new interface.

I've found that I'm using keyboard shortcuts more than I used to. Without a touch interface, all of the horizontal scrolling in the new apps feels wrong. At least a mouse has a scroll wheel, but I feel like trackpads are awful for precise scrolling.

Anyway, Microsoft is moving to yearly Windows releases so that they can continue to compete with Apple, which have a similar release schedule for OSX.

http://www.theverge....update-low-cost

They say Windows Blue will be bringing further big interface changes to Windows. Hopefully those changes streamline the Windows 8 experience a bit--I think I'm going to wait and see how Blue turns out before upgrading the rest of my computers.

DevM,

Does your laptop have touchscreen? Which laptop did you buy? How much ram? HD? the traditional HD or the ssd (solid state)? I'm looking at laptops? I'm finding you have to be careful because so many of the offerings (with W8) don't really have the touchscreen. Those with touchscreen have limited ram and either the traditional hd or a small ssd.

Randall,

I bought a Toshiba 17" laptop. No it is not a touch screen.

I have following setup:

All programs are loaded on to a server running 2008.

1 Desktop and 3 laptops running Win7.

1 Laptop running WIN8 (new laptop) just to try it out.

Jack,

Agreed. i would not want to try a new computer with a new realese during the Tax season. I will try it our during November/December as these are the slow months.

Accounting client of mine called in a panic on Friday. Computer crashed (video card) and bought a new one with Windows 8. Installed Peachtree (Sage 50; whatever they're calling it this week) and it will NOT run. Sage will NOT help as they do not support Windows 8. I told him to downgrade to Windows 7.

As for me, my new computer (that I am still configuring) is Windows 7. My principle on computer OS changes is to make the change as late as possible and let other people be the guinea pigs for errors, incompatibilities, and other problems. So far, so good. ^_^

• Like 2

As for me, my new computer (that I am still configuring) is Windows 7. My principle on computer OS changes is to make the change as late as possible and let other people be the guinea pigs for errors, incompatibilities, and other problems. So far, so good. ^_^

I couldn't agree more. My new computer is also Win7. To make matters worse, my exact system is now "on sale" at Tiger Direct with Windows 7 for $110 more than I paid for it a few months ago. I think that speaks for the fact that concerned buyers are looking for Windows 7 systems while the big push is for Windows 8; which nobody with a business appears to be liking very much. My 10 year old XP system is also up and running in my office because there are things I can do on that one that I cannot do on the new one. However, I doubt that it would have handled another year of ATX. Catherine, I am still configuring my new one too. I am like a kid with a new toy.

Christmas came early for me as I am now working in the new addition on my office, which more than doubled my space. Just a little fine tuning left to do and I will be ready. Just goes to show that sometimes hard work does pay off. :)