ATX Community

How to transfer ATX 2012 to another computer

taxpro78

I don't know if this will work for 2012 but it's worth a try, install ATX2012 on the new PC, then make a copy of the database folder (old PC) and replace it the same database folder on the new PC. Or export all clients to a usb drive and then import. Both ways worked for 2011 and prior.

MAS

Since the tax year is young, install ATX 2011 on the new computer and copy the database folder from the old computer. On the new computer, open an existing client and resave it, then create a new test client and save it.

Then install ATX 2012 on the new computer and roll a return that you didn't open during your 2011 tests. If that opens and you can make changes and then save, you should be OK. Roll over all the returns from 2011 and voila.

Thank you - but this is not about an individual returns. I need to know how I can transfer the whole database for ATX2012.

Ie - assume that we are in the middle of the year and that I get a new computer, to which I need to transfer the entire program. For the sake of example, the old computer will be destroyed, so there will not be any issue of duplicate databases existing.

Do you know how I can raise this with a higher level of tech support then the random person I'd get on the phone who reads off a script?

I am not sure how many of us are real computer wiz kids! BUT whatever you do do NOT copy database files into a Flash drive and rewrite the same file on the target computer. Databases have index files and many other ancillary files that if they do NOT match exactly your database will be corrupted beyond repair and you must reinstall. This is much more critical with Windows XP and beyond. I have been there and paid the price!

I am from that generation that started with pre DOS (remember something called CP/M). Anyways in the good old days you could just simply copy over files or entire programs from one drive to the other and 99% of the time it worked. But with Windows XP and up that all changed.

My suggestion is to call ATX technical support and get precise instructions on how to move the database without corrupting the files. You will be glad you made that call!

That's how I moved the files onto my new computer in 2010. I installed all my tax programs from the final disks, and the newest program from the initial disk. Exported the returns for the previous years on the old computer to a flash drive, then imported them to the programs on the new computer.

Then rolled over returns as I needed them to the current year's program.

I just learned today that there is a 2nd directory now with the new 2012 version. It is in C:Program Data (which may be hidden), no matter where you installed the program.

The recommendation I received from the help desk is to copy the files from old computer 1 to new computer 2 and run netsetup on new computer 2, even though it is the "server". Didn't make sense to me, but it worked.

• Like 1

The difference between Backup method and Export / Import method is that with Backup method you are able to get efile info also.

Export / Import method will not carry over efile info.

This is true! Which is why when I installed 2011 on this new computer, I used Backup/Restore. To just save the files as I work, I use Export/Import.

• 3 months later...

Was just trying to research this issue too. Moving the program from an old computer to a new one. From XP to Win 8 64. So far the "Restore Returns" seems to be working okay.

I copied the Backup folder from "c:documents and settingsall usersapplication datacch small firm servicesatx2012backup" to "c:programdatacch small firm servicesatx2012backup". Installed atx2012 on Win 8 64. Downloaded the latest update patch and installed. Ran the program and selected "Restore Returns" and checked all items. Because it says it backs up all the data automatically everytime a return is closed. So hopefully that location has the latest copies.

EDIT: The Restore process is very very slow. I think it'll take about 2 hours to restore the information. Also I ran into a lot of popup questions about overwriting people, payers, and companies. There was no previous existing data. What gives. What a lame program. Takes way way too long just to restore 1600 items.

EDIT2: After the restore was done, the program was stuck in an enless CPU usage cycle of 20%-30%, and was non responsive. I tried to give it 10 minutes, but then I had to kill the process.

The way I did it at the beginning of this year was to install the Program on the new computer and update. Reboot. Then, I exported all of the clients to a jump drive, carried it across the room and imported it into the program on the new computer. Not a single glitch. You can also use the backup and restore; also using the jump drive to transfer the info. Slick as can be. I was moving from XP to Win 7....no problems. In fact we moved three years that way.

I also used the Export/Import to move to a new computer/new OS, but NOT this year with the new ATX. In the past, I installed the program on the new computer, exported returns from the old computer to a flash drive, and then imported returns from the flash drive to the new computer. Very fast, and everything was there. I did multiple years.

• 4 months later...

But would if your old computer is not functioning anymore, hence the purchase of a new computer. Anyone found a way to do this? 2008 to 2010 worked perfectly to just copy over the whole ATX#### directory in program files. But this version is alltogether different, even installs different too.

Where is your backup of the returns? Did you not export or backup to an external drive as you went?

I did a "backup" yesterday. Well this is the 2nd time I had to transfer my customer's data from the old comp to a new comp. The old comp is very very very slow. Took about 12 hours to run the backup process. The backup folder is only 456MB, where as the folder in the All Users-AppData... is 1.24GB. The bulk of the data in the AppData folder is in the "Formset" folder. It has 1430 items at 1.24GB. My newly backed up "Formset" has only 435 items at 454MB. The AppData folder seems to have a lot of duplicates items in the "Formset". So hopefully restoring from the newly backedup folder will have everything. It kind of worried me when the backup process mentioned about only backing up items that were changed since the last backup. :/

I'm in a time crunch here, and everything I do with this software takes a very long time, even just updating the forms.

That sounds like an incremental backup, fine for a daily backup if you have a good full backup. If you are moving to a new computer, you'll install the program and then need a full backup of your data. It used to be that you'd use Export and Import instead of Backup and Restore, but I haven't used ATX for years. One of the experienced techies will jump in. (If it were any other software, I'd tell you to call tech support !!)

That sounds like an incremental backup, fine for a daily backup if you have a good full backup. If you are moving to a new computer, you'll install the program and then need a full backup of your data. It used to be that you'd use Export and Import instead of Backup and Restore, but I haven't used ATX for years. One of the experienced techies will jump in. (If it were any other software, I'd tell you to call tech support !!)

Well did that backup process that took about 12 hours to a new folder, so hopefully it backed everything up. During the restore process I'm getting a lot of popups to replace an existing payer named ''. Nothing named, just empty quotes. After the first 30 presses of Skip, I just decided to press Replace All since there's no Skip All option, and it was only at around 100 out of 1576. A way waste of my time pressing a Skip button for 30 minutes straight.

But it looks like items are populating in the returns window. It's just mind boggling how long it takes to restore 454MB of data!!

Lion is correct. Open the program on the old computer. In the Return Manager, export all of the returns to a jump drive. Open the program on the new computer. In the Return Manager, import all of the files into the program from the jump drive. It is amazingly simple.

Lion is correct. Open the program on the old computer. In the Return Manager, export all of the returns to a jump drive. Open the program on the new computer. In the Return Manager, import all of the files into the program from the jump drive. It is amazingly simple.

Well I'm already into the process of Backup and Restore, I have too much time invested into this to try another avenue of restore.

The new comp has a 3.33GHz Core i3 and it takes about 1.5 to 2 seconds per payer to restore. It almost seems like it's getting exponentially longer as it slowly reaches to the end of the 1576 payers. This software definitely has optimization bugs they need to work out. A process that should take 5 minutes max will probably be around 14-16 hours.

EDIT: It finally completed!! Yay.. I think this program would do well on a 10GHz computer.

Well, I got my new computer and put ProSeries on 2009 to 12. Was ready to put ATX 2012 on but after reading all this will leave it off. Have sent my ATX Client files to ProSeries for conversion and will be ready for the new tax year. Won't have it up and running until November as I'm finishing this year with the old computer and will keep the old system up and running for the ATX returns. Still have about 10 returns to do in ProSeries. Just a few things I don't like but I'm happy. Support is great.

August @ ADG Financial.com