ATX Community

12.5 is here

Argo

Downloaded the file from the site in 65 seconds. Ran the file on the server. All seems well so far except the pesky "open the return in last year's program and save again" for about 40% of the files in my rollover manager.

This year, anyone using a server and workstations should do the initial install ON THE SERVER. Prior years were not compatible with server operating systems hence the instruction to load from a workstation and save the files on the server.

Do the updates on the server as well.

Does everyone understand that any comments about "...the way it was last year..." are totally irrelevant?

The former program was Excel spreadsheet based and used an Acess 97 (yes, 1997) database. It became incompatible with server software in 2008 due to netframework 4.0 being used in server operating systems.

The 2012 program is NOT in ANY WAY like the previous years. I don't yet know the format or database configuration they are using, but before this season ends I will know.

Another pet peeve of mine.... "All I want is software that will work,,,," This is 2013. Computers and software MUST adapt to the changing environment. Regular and frequent changes are part of life now. If you do not have the necessary tech skills to deal with the changes, and you intend to continue in this chosen career field, you must either learn it yourself, hire a tech skilled tax professional, or have a long term contract with an I.T. company that can do it for you. This is not 1990 anymore!!

If we took the same attitude about tax law as seems to be the overiding attitude about tax software and providers, we would have all stopped doing taxes in 2002.

Rant over.... (for now)

BTW, I am 56 years old, have been a geek all my life, and I constantly update my computer I.T. skill just like my tax skills. I work for a firm and have my own practice. I said this to reinforce the idea that it is possible.

• Like 1

That's really nice, Jack, good for you.

I just downloaded from the ATX site. The first attempt failed to download anything, said it couldn't be completed. The second attempt appeared to download, security scanned it automatically, icon appeared on the desktop. Double click to open and it says it's a partial download.

Downloaded the file from the site in 65 seconds. Ran the file on the server. All seems well so far except the pesky "open the return in last year's program and save again" for about 40% of the files in my rollover manager.

This year, anyone using a server and workstations should do the initial install ON THE SERVER. Prior years were not compatible with server operating systems hence the instruction to load from a workstation and save the files on the server.

Do the updates on the server as well.

Does everyone understand that any comments about "...the way it was last year..." are totally irrelevant?

The former program was Excel spreadsheet based and used an Acess 97 (yes, 1997) database. It became incompatible with server software in 2008 due to netframework 4.0 being used in server operating systems.

The 2012 program is NOT in ANY WAY like the previous years. I don't yet know the format or database configuration they are using, but before this season ends I will know.

Another pet peeve of mine.... "All I want is software that will work,,,," This is 2013. Computers and software MUST adapt to the changing environment. Regular and frequent changes are part of life now. If you do not have the necessary tech skills to deal with the changes, and you intend to continue in this chosen career field, you must either learn it yourself, hire a tech skilled tax professional, or have a long term contract with an I.T. company that can do it for you. This is not 1990 anymore!!

If we took the same attitude about tax law as seems to be the overiding attitude about tax software and providers, we would have all stopped doing taxes in 2002.

Rant over.... (for now)

BTW, I am 56 years old, have been a geek all my life, and I constantly update my computer I.T. skill just like my tax skills. I work for a firm and have my own practice. I said this to reinforce the idea that it is possible.

And that is why we like having you on OUR side. Your knowledge has much value.

I just downloaded fine; downloaded to 'save' and then 'ran' when prompted. The download was fast, as indicated earlier. I opened my return as a test, and none of my assets are assigned to their proper activities. Yuck. I have 4 rentals and a Sch C with 8829.

A bit peeved, but nothing like others are having. I'm with you Jack. I just read the 'install on network' instructions, and apparently a lot of network users didn't read before installing. A lot of the issues with the program (except for the mailing slips) can be traced to not navigating the new program properly. It does come with an instruction manual. I went to the Small Firms User Conference and got to see some of the upgrades to the program, so it wasn't entirely new. I also got to talk with some of the programmers regarding how I used the spreadsheet, and what issues I was having with my same-sex couples.

One nice thing is that they were looking at allowing ATX & Taxwise users to PPR ProsystemsFX without paying the PPR fee. I have one return that would run much better in a more robust program, and as soon as I get a minute, am going to call my salesperson to set that up.

One nice thing is that they were looking at allowing ATX & Taxwise users to PPR ProsystemsFX without paying the PPR fee. I have one return that would run much better in a more robust program, and as soon as I get a minute, am going to call my salesperson to set that up.

Please tells us more, I would be interested in Prosystems FX.

MAS

OK, I got the update, installed it, rebooted the computer. Program starts, so far so good. Then I did an update to get forms updated. 32 forms updated and processed 100%. All looked good. Opened a return, closed the return. Still good...and then a box pops up with this message:

Network Update

An application update has been applied to the network. A restart of your application is required to apply this update to your workstation. If you have any unsaved changes, you will be prompted to save

OK

I hope this is a generic message. I don't run the program on a network. Single user, running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 12 GB ram & Intel i7-2600 processor.

OK, I got the update, installed it, rebooted the computer. Program starts, so far so good. Then I did an update to get forms updated. 32 forms updated and processed 100%. All looked good. Opened a return, closed the return. Still good...and then a box pops up with this message:

Network Update

An application update has been applied to the network. A restart of your application is required to apply this update to your workstation. If you have any unsaved changes, you will be prompted to save

OK

I hope this is a generic message. I don't run the program on a network. Single user, running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit with 12 GB ram & Intel i7-2600 processor.

Just wondering, if you installed the software as network, instead of stand alone? When you intially install it, you get two options, stand alone or network, I am asking this because I installed it as stand alone on mine, however I need to add another computer soon. I might have to reinstall it as a network?

MAS

Please tells us more, I would be interested in Prosystems FX.

MAS

It was brought up as a possible feature. I can never remember who my sales rep is, so I need to call up and see if they are indeed offering us this option. I figured this would not be the best week to call however.

My fixed assets for my own return rolled over 'unassigned'. I'm reassigning them; a pain since I have 4 rentals, a Sch C with 8829. But do-able.

If this is my biggest issue, I do feel lucky.

Network Update

OK

This is normal when the program is open on a workstation and updates (either forms or program) are installed. Not a problem. Move ahead. All updates should be done on the server. Then when workstations log in, all updates will be applied, or they will get a message like you saw.

MAS and Jack, my initial install was a stand alone installation, so I'm not sure why I got the message. It hasn't reappeared so I think my setup is OK. Things seem to be working as they should, although I only have one return on so far. My first client is coming in on Saturday, a very easy return with multi state being the only issue.

Try opening it several times. It took many tries (3-5 maybe) to get a return to stay open.

Had to do it to several different returns.

It appears stable (as stable as this years program can be) so far.

Make up a few dummy returns and keep opening them. Hopefully it will work properly.

Maybe this is because the have had (and still do it seems) so many network problems that they have network on the brain.

I use win 7 stand alone.

Ugh! I finally was able to download the stupid update. When I open the return I get this:

Cannot Open Rolled - Over Return

This is all I have as I transferred from Lacerte to ATX 2012. My old laptop with Lacerte and ATX 2011 is dead. Now what do I do?

Ideas?

Jackie

Argo, if you have the 2011 archive disk or your install codes, you can put the 2011 ATX program on your new machine and restore all your tax returns from last year, if you backed them up or exported them to somewhere other than the dead laptop. Then you should be able to roll to 2012, yes?

Thanks jklcpa and grmy2h

Ok, so I had to Install Lacerte 2011 on my new computer. I am know going to convert the returns, then rollover 2011, and hope for the best. If this doesn't work I guess I will use Lacerte for one more year.

I hope ATX gives me my money back.

Jackie

Eli, I was nervous about that too, and chose to download and save from the website rather than from inside the program. Went very quickly, and then clicked 'run' when prompted. All went smoothly, although opening the program was slow as it processed the update, and I was on pins & needles.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Opened the program, still getting the block about being on a network, clicking ok shuts the program down. Restarted & all seemed ok. Tried opening one of the returns and when the box came up about some forms not yet being available, the same network box is again popping up. Clicking OK is the only option and it shuts the program down.

Unacceptable! I can't even get past the opening of the return to work on anything now.

ETA: I reinstalled update 12.5 again. Now everything seems to be working...for now...and the program no longer thinks I'm running on a network. The "About" menu selection does show that it's a standalone installation. I have no idea how this glitch happened. There weren't any choices to be made when running the update. Weird.

ETA again - still now working. This is maddening.

• Like 1

Eli, I was nervous about that too, and chose to download and save from the website rather than from inside the program. Went very quickly, and then clicked 'run' when prompted. All went smoothly, although opening the program was slow as it processed the update, and I was on pins & needles.

Good luck!

Thanks, Joan! I guess i Will try it in the morning. good night!

Eli

Yup, I've done a projection, worked on my own return, and completed two. Don't have that many available to work on yet. Only issue was in my return, my assets in the asset manager lost their 'assignment' and didn't link to the rentals and Sch C. Not too big an issue, but I'll check depreciation on my rollovers. I'm tempted to roll over another return just to see if it works, but I don't have ready to roll, and I don't roll returns until the work is on my desk.

Is anyone able to actually use the software ? That is, rollover from 2011 and open a return ?

Yes, we are using ATX 2012 and are rolling over and preparing tax returns. To date we have processed 52 returns. We have had the issues of not being able to get into the return initially most of the time. I found out that if I roll it over on one wokstation and then go to a different workstation to open it initially, it will open 75% of the time on the first try. Then I can go back to the first workstation and it'll open their too. Don't ask me why. I have ATX installed on 5 workstations plus the server and not all workstations seem to function alike. One of them seems to have a lot less issues than the others and that is the workstation we are opening all returns on initially.

The program is still way to slow to satisfy me, but we are actually able to process. Still hoping for some major improvements ASAP.

I found downloading the update and then installing it in the program worked best. I never was able to get the download to work within the software.

After 24 hours I am up an running. I was able to open my returns and begin working on them. After some sleep I will try and process my first return.

Jackie

Ugh! I finally was able to download the stupid update. When I open the return I get this:

Cannot Open Rolled - Over Return

This is all I have as I transferred from Lacerte to ATX 2012. My old laptop with Lacerte and ATX 2011 is dead. Now what do I do?

Ideas?

Jackie

Jackie, I had a return that I had rolled over earlier that would not open. 12.5 was supposed to be the answer. When I first installed the update, I got a message "cannot open rolled over return." However, I deleted the previous roll over, rolled it over again, and Miracle of Miracles, IT OPENED! I don't know if this is your issue. Good luck!