ATX Community

Audit: 17 of 19 paid tax preparers got it wrong

cred65

Forgetting to report tips doesn't surprise me at all, depending on how the scenario went. I'd imagine a lot of preparers basically take your forms and ask minimal questions. If there aren't allocated tips on the W-2 it probably doesn't even cross their mind to ask. Especially if they choose an occupation in this "audit" that we don't typically associate with tip income.

• Like 2

Some of these "beware of your tax preparer" scare-monger articles also mark as "errors" using a 1040 instead of a 1040-A or 1040-EZ. Well, I don't like those short forms and don't bother with them. Far as I'm concerned, it's not an error; it's a choice. An error would be using a 1040-EZ for a non-eligible return.

Garbage.

• Like 9

I have always been for regualting tax preparers and requiring minimum education requirements. This article cites the small amount of preparers that are CPA's and lawyers. I think we all know that it goes without saying that designations behind your name does not make you the expert. No designation placed behind one's name will eliminate errors or fraud or suggest that because that designation exists the risk of fraud and mistakes are reduced. I think it would have been more important to look at the statistics of errors coming from the large tax mills. Sure because there are more of them the percentages would naturally be higher. Catherine I agree GARBAGE!

• Like 3

I have always been for regualting tax preparers and requiring minimum education requirements. This article cites the small amount of preparers that are CPA's and lawyers. I think we all know that it goes without saying that designations behind your name does not make you the expert. No designation placed behind one's name will eliminate errors or fraud or suggest that because that designation exists the risk of fraud and mistakes are reduced. I think it would have been more important to look at the statistics of errors coming from the large tax mills. Sure because there are more of them the percentages would naturally be higher. Catherine I agree GARBAGE!

I agree. I have had an idea for a long time that I wish the IRS would look at. Regulate the software. There is no reason that Turbo or HRB's software or ATX or ProSeries or Prosystem or any of them cannot make the software inactive without a registration process that can be shared with the IRS. All e-files and printouts could have the SS# or PTIN number of the purchaser of the software imbedded in the submission. So these TT mills that pop up and then disappear would have their SS# on every single return that was produced from that copy. And the IRS could then have a database of the software and user that is creating these fraudulent tax returns. If you are a legitimate user of TT for your personal return, it is no big deal, because you are putting your social on the return anyway. If you are a professional, your PTIN needs to be on the return as well. It would make it very hard for some hack off the street to go buy a copy of TT and start printing out "self prepared" returns because if the registered SS# does not match the SS on the return, the IRS will see it right away.

Just an idea.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

I don't think I have EVER had a client bring me food. What am I doing wrong?

Something! Just had a lady come in this AM with three big custard filled and frosted donuts. Another gal brought two small cartons of cut up assorted fruit; one for each of us. (This was just today)

• Like 2

I have one client that brings me treats from one of the best bakeries in town each year, and another that brings Filipino food (homemade adobo this year!), and another brought a 4-pack of RockStars, and I got a box of truly gourmet chocolate. $85 for 36 pieces type chocolate. My god, it spoiled me.

More adobo promised on Sunday when he delivers his kids 8879.

• Like 2

I don't think I have EVER had a client bring me food. What am I doing wrong?

I have one client who brings me a jar of homemade horseradish every year. I don't even like the stuff but I just smile and say thank you. One of my Ohio clients brought me some buckeye candy one year. Now that I liked!

A surprising number of clients bring "samples" in - - -everything from crafts, baked goods, sponge samples-my all time favotire - - a taxadermist who gave my husband & son 3 skinned, frozen and not clean skulls! Yeah, one of them was a bison - -took about $150 on the gass grill to
clean" them - - - -