ATX Community

IRS Launches Tax Preparer Directory

Yardley CPA

I found myself in the directory.  :P

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/irs-watch/irs-launches-tax-preparer-directory-73577-1.html

http://irs.treasury.gov/rpo/rpo.jsf

IRS Launches Tax Preparer Directory

Washington, D.C. (February 5, 2015)

The Internal Revenue Service has launched a new,online public directory of tax return preparers as part of its effort to promote its Annual Filing Season Program for testing and continuing education of tax preparers on a voluntary basis.

johnkoskinen.jpg

John Koskinen

This searchable directory on IRS.gov will help taxpayers find a tax professional with credentials and select qualifications to help them prepare their tax returns.

“This new directory will be a practical tool for the millions of Americans who rely on the services of a paid return preparer,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen in a statement. “Taxpayers can also look to these tax professionals for help if they have questions about the new health care provisions on this year’s tax forms.”

The directory is a searchable, sortable listing featuring the name, city, state and zip code of attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents and those who have completed the requirements for the voluntary IRS Annual Filing Season Program. All preparers listed also have valid 2015 Preparer Tax Identification Numbers, or PTIN.

Taxpayers can search the directory using the preferred credentials or qualifications they seek in a preparer, or by a preparer’s location, including professionals who practice abroad. Tax preparers with PTINs who are not attorneys, CPAs, enrolled agents or Annual Filing Season Program participants are not included in the directory, nor are volunteer tax return preparers who offer free services.

The IRS said the directory can also be a resource for taxpayers who want to get help from tax professionals on the Affordable Care Act tax provisions that affect returns filed this year.

To help taxpayers navigate the different types of professional tax help available, last December, the IRS unveiled IRS.gov/chooseataxpro, a page that explains the different categories of professionals. Taxpayers can also use a new partner page available on IRS.gov that provides links to the web sites of national non-profit tax professional groups, which can help provide additional information for taxpayers seeking the right type of qualified help.

In 2010, the IRS launched the Tax Return Preparer Initiative, which generally requires anyone who prepares federal tax returns for compensation to obtain a PTIN from the IRS. As of the start of the filing season, more than 666,000 tax return preparers have active PTINs for 2015. Currently, anyone with a valid PTIN can prepare federal tax returns for compensation. At a minimum, taxpayers should make sure their tax preparer has a valid PTIN and includes it on the tax return.

However, in 2013, a federal court invalidated the IRS’s efforts to require mandatory testing and continuing education of tax preparers in the case of Loving v. IRS, which an appeals court upheld in 2014. In response, the IRS unveiled the Annual Filing Season Program last year to provide testing and continuing education on a voluntary basis.

Edited by Yardley CPA

Goodness, I'm #3 out of 79 CPAs in a 5 mile radius, and 342 in a 10 mile radius with another 52 others with afsp.  10 mile radius of listed CPAs, EAs, and those in the afsp total 456.  That's a lot of competition in our little state, and many people drive more than 10 miles to see me!

ETA - So that I could see the competition I'm more likely up against, I widened my search to 25 miles because some people do drive that far to see me.  The message asked if I wanted to see the top 1000 names or it suggested that I narrow or refine my search parameters. 

I am #1 in my zip code, but was sure they went in alphabetical order; until I added more miles and saw that they were not.  I wonder if people are really referring to that list.  I have several new clients, but am pretty sure that they were all referrals; as per usual.

I ask when someone calls if they were referred to me by a client and which one.  I don't take on many new ones and then almost only from referrals. Kids and grandkids seem to fill in when my elderly clients pass away. 

Absolutely correct!  Clients have started asking if it is all right to refer anyone!

• Like 1

I am not sure what it says that I am the only AFSP (E.A. documents have not come in yet) within 250 miles....

That distance takes in Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indianapolis and several other large cities...

Only one other AFSP on my list.  Remember, you had to take the compliance test if you were not a RTRP; as well as the hours of credits.

Jack, I'm on the list (AFSP) and likely within 250 miles of you....hmmm

funny thing, though...If I search my zip code with 5,10, or 100 miles, I show up as 0 miles away (as I should)....but if I expand search distance to within 250 miles, I do not show up at all.

Maybe the government used the same website creators as they did for healthcare.gov?  Makes no sense!!  We are only about 50 miles apart....

• Like 1