ATX Community

Craziest Request Ever

mrichman333

I had a new customer come by yesterday; he looked like a cross between ZZ Top and Duck Dynasty.  He reeked of Tabaco and had all his tax returns going back to 2000 and wanted to show me all of them.  I told him all I need is last years.

He asked about Casualty Theft and Loss; he said the police raided his home and confiscated all his guns.  He said the guns were legal in FL but not NJ.  He was told the guns were destroyed by the police, and then he slammed his hand down and said the township stole his guns and he want to deduct them.  I explained it wasn’t deductible.

He need to get more paperwork and said he would be back.

He stopped by today with his property tax information and receipts for his father’s funeral expenses and asked if he could deduct the expenses that totaled $7,000.  I explained he cannot deduct the expenses on his return, but it would be deductible on his father estate return if one needed to be filed. (one doesn’t need to be filed)
He continues to say he paid for the food also for all those people, can I write it off as a company picnic. I said no.  He looked at me like I was crazy.

Do people really think we as preparers will lie and cheat for them?  Total strangers but we’ll lie and help them cheat on their taxes.

So what are some of your craziest customers and or request?

• Like 4

Several years ago I had a female client with a newborn.  After 30 to 40 minutes into the interview she began to nurse her baby.  No blankee, no towel, no cover up

no modesty.  Now I know some of ya will say....It's just natural....Which its was, and that's how I viewed it..... t2824.gif

I sure had a story for my wife over supper that night.

• Like 7

When I worked for someone else, we had a no smoking policy. A client asked to smoke and when I showed her the sign, she lit one up, opened the window and flicked the ashes in her purse. I was young and scared to death of her anyway, so I just sat there and prayed for her to leave. She and her husband were plowed at the time, also.

• Like 3

I had a new customer come by yesterday; he looked like a cross between ZZ Top and Duck Dynasty.  He reeked of Tabaco and had all his tax returns going back to 2000 and wanted to show me all of them.  I told him all I need is last years.

He asked about Casualty Theft and Loss; he said the police raided his home and confiscated all his guns.  He said the guns were legal in FL but not NJ.  He was told the guns were destroyed by the police, and then he slammed his hand down and said the township stole his guns and he want to deduct them.  I explained it wasn’t deductible.

He need to get more paperwork and said he would be back.

He stopped by today with his property tax information and receipts for his father’s funeral expenses and asked if he could deduct the expenses that totaled $7,000.  I explained he cannot deduct the expenses on his return, but it would be deductible on his father estate return if one needed to be filed. (one doesn’t need to be filed)

He continues to say he paid for the food also for all those people, can I write it off as a company picnic. I said no.  He looked at me like I was crazy.

Do people really think we as preparers will lie and cheat for them?  Total strangers but we’ll lie and help them cheat on their taxes.

So what are some of your craziest customers and or request?

I actually feel bad for this man. He's had a pretty tough year. As long as I don't feel personally threatened, I'm ok with eccentrics. Good luck.

• Like 1

I'd be glad he had his guns confiscated! I work from home; don't want crazies.

Ditto!!!!  Had one this year that I sent packing.  I was a little (a lot)  afraid of her and did give her name to my County Deputy client.........just in case anything weird happened around here.

I'd be glad he had his guns confiscated! I work from home; don't want crazies.

If the cops took MY legally owned firearms and destroyed them, I'd look more than a little crazy too.  Those are EXPENSIVE pieces of machinery, and to have them stolen and destroyed by the government (at gunpoint, by the way; the government does *everything* by gunpoint) would make me so furious you would *not* want to be around me.

• Like 3

If the cops took MY legally owned firearms and destroyed them, I'd look more than a little crazy too.  Those are EXPENSIVE pieces of machinery, and to have them stolen and destroyed by the government (at gunpoint, by the way; the government does *everything* by gunpoint) would make me so furious you would *not* want to be around me.

I support the ENTIRE Constitution of the United States.  Including the Second Amendment.

• Like 4

I suspect he had been issued a warning before they came in and "stole" all his guns. 

And due to the "DC vs Heller" and "McDonald vs Chicago" decisions at the SCOTUS, one should just be able to walk into any court and get this sort of crap instantly overturned. No level of government in these united states (federal, state, county or municipal) has the power to deny you your right to keep and bear arms. It's not even debatable at this point; it's firmly settled law. What NJ did to that man was unconstitutional.

• Like 3

Not sure I'd want to tell the client about this, but I suspect he will find out soon enough that it's possible to "roll your own" when it comes to guns.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/26/8113047/fedex-ups-wont-ship-ghost-gunner-mill

You can make a perfectly functional firearm, *today*, in the comfort of your own home, from plumbing parts available at your local hardware store.

Any machinist can make specialty parts.    One of the great advances in general manufacturing - swap-out pieces that fit any of the same model of item - is relatively recent.  In the past, individual custom-made items were the rule, and owners of *any* machinery (whether firearm or seed drill) had to craft and fit their own repair parts.  So this CNC machine fedex won't ship is basically no different than a machine that makes automotive parts, except for the open source software code.

• Like 1

This is going off-topic pretty far and bringing politics into the discussion once again. I've had a request to lock the topic, but anyone that wants to discuss guns and shooting could start a new topic and leaving out the politics.  My husband has several coworkers that have built their own guns. That is perfectly legal to do here and to own and shoot them, but not OK to sell them.  Last time he was at the range with them he tried one out and I think he'd like one too.  He's not too subtle about dropping hints about prezzies he'd like to have.  lol

• Like 3