ATX Community

NT-Number of tax returns down?

TAG

My feeling is:  I feel that the number of tax returns I/my firm prepares this year is going to be down substantially for this year  from years past.  At this time, I haven't done the statistics, its just a feeling.  I don't believe I've become that much more efficient. 

Terry 

My billings were down for February but that does not mean I have fewer returns or that I have reduced my fees.  It simply means that I purposed to work 75 to 80 per week this year instead of my 100 to 105 in years past.  The back log just keeps growing.  I have about 120 done and approaching 150 in house to do with continued drop offs coming in at a pace of 10 to 12 per day between now and the 20th of the month and another 50 that will come in after that.  We are right now committing to a 3 week  turnaround.  By the 15th we will be committing to a tax season  completion.  After the 15th - no commitment.  On April 15th, I will be committed.  They're coming to take us away, ha ha, ho, ho, hee, hee............................... 

• Like 3

I have more and more earlier.  So, my stack is huge.  And, clients are calling unhappy.  "But, last year you had mine done by now!"  Maybe I'll send the complainers to HRB.

I am thinking that is some of my issue also sans the unhappy callers.  I worked on 6 decent size business returns in February that I did not do until April of last year.  And I have seen many more that are in earlier  - thus adding to the backlog.  We are being as honest as we can with our folks about the turn around time and the nearly universal response has been "whenever".  The only caller that I am aware is the one that tried to do her own on TT and screwed it up requiring it now to be amended.  And I am suppose to drop everything I am doing and work on that? I don't think so!

• Like 1

I am going to be way up this year but that is attributable to the fact that I moved my office out of my home this year to a highly visible location downtown.  Most of what I've done thus far are new returns.  My regulars just started rolling in last week.  It could get a little tricky in the next few weeks.

• Like 3

I have more and more earlier.  So, my stack is huge.  And, clients are calling unhappy.  "But, last year you had mine done by now!"  Maybe I'll send the complainers to HRB.

Remind the callers that, thanks to ACA and other significant changes, it's complicated many returns, slowing you as you work carefully to be sure you provide all your clients with the best in professional, proper returns.  And that accuracy is more important than speed, because you don't want your clients to ever overpay.  

• Like 4

For me, the returns seem to be rolling in...

Some new clients, but the production has been well ahead of last year.  I expanded, by buying another two practices, but with the combined billing, we are ahead of the plan, plus, we are at a 47% completed rate compared to 21% last year.  With twice as many returns in the door than last year.

Sweet!

Rich

• Like 3

I have had a couple of those and was able (thanks to my WIP spreadsheets) to tell them, "Yeah, but last year I had all your docs in-hand by Feb 10th and this year you didn't bring them until Feb 28th."  And with some, "Yeah, and last year we had to amend because you got corrected 1099-B's in late March and we agreed to hold off this year just in case."

• Like 5

For me, the returns seem to be rolling in...

Some new clients, but the production has been well ahead of last year.  I expanded, by buying another two practices, but with the combined billing, we are ahead of the plan, plus, we are at a 47% completed rate compared to 21% last year.  With twice as many returns in the door than last year.

Sweet!

Rich

What do you mean by 47% completed rate compared to 21% last year?

I'm more caught up than ever before, but have only had one client say she was going to try to self prepare this year (thought of saying, are you up on the new repair regs then?) and have plenty of new ones. I attribute it to my assistant being well seasoned. She's taking her income tax class at community college this semester and is acing it, plus she's now getting an idea of why things go where they do on returns. Never been this relaxed in March. Kinda scares me too though....

Oh yeah, I'm at a week turnaround. Really. At least to the point where I'm looking at the return and asking more questions if I have any. Less than a week if I work hard.

Edited by joanmcq
  • Like 3