ATX Community

PortalSafe?

Janitor Bob

I just emailed a pdf to myself using Virtru and it was fine until I opened the attachment. There was no obvious way to print or save, so until my clients got used to it, we'd be getting a ton of calls. And if they were only getting Virtru emails from me, it could take them many years to remember what to do. Why do programmers make it like this‽

pdf995 suite is $9.95 and can be used with one of its add-ons (another $10 or so, one-time cost) to password protect pdf's.  If you already have Adobe, ou can use that to do the same.  I love my file portal; it comes with my CPA Site Solutions web site.  The web site also has a utility that lets clients send me protected files by email without them having to have any software; click the link and off they go.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:45 PM, KINGCHUCK1971 said:

I use Cudasign for $36 for 3 years. My clients are able to view and sign their documents. They can sign their documents by computer, android, or ios. You have to send them a invite by email.

Took a hard look at this (price is sweet) ----- However given the IRS REQUIRES a signing done such as is done here have a security feature that has the recipient verified BEFORE they can even see the form being signed (such as the 8879) (not required with PDF, faxing, etc., just this type of signing) the regular version ($36.00) for three years does NOT support this.          The PREMIMUM version does but starts at $1,000 a year (10 users and a bunch of other extras, etc.).   To rich for me ---------- However because the person at support answered promptly and even after I gave this reason I could not use ------ went above the normal "customer service" and followed up a few days later with what they had found that MIGHT help me.

Therefore, if you might use this, please consider contacting Mellissa Pottle (CudaSign (formerly SignNow)) @ cudasign.com.      Mellissa Pottle (CudaSign ) <[email protected]>

Thanks, EasyTax

• Like 3

I have looked at a few and if you want the client to be able to receive the 8879, sign, it and send it back to you...ALL electronically, I think cPaperless Signatureflow looks like a great option that only charges so much per signature.  Personally, I just need an affordable way to encrypt the 8879 to e-mail to my customer (I use Virtru...$48.00/year).  I want them to print it, sign it, and either bring t to me or mail it to me with payment...then I transmit.  Although the 100% electronic method sounds cool...I do not really need it at this point 

4 hours ago, Janitor Bob said:

I have looked at a few and if you want the client to be able to receive the 8879, sign, it and send it back to you...ALL electronically, I think cPaperless Signatureflow looks like a great option that only charges so much per signature.  Personally, I just need an affordable way to encrypt the 8879 to e-mail to my customer (I use Virtru...$48.00/year).  I want them to print it, sign it, and either bring t to me or mail it to me with payment...then I transmit.  Although the 100% electronic method sounds cool...I do not really need it at this point 

The cPaperless will work but again, more than I want to spend right now. The Virtru is overkill for me as I do not send many files other than just some signature forms which can be mailed back once signed. For that I send as an encrypted PDF attachment using PDFill to encrypt the form file, (PDFill.com) and it works well (does a lot more too), plus meets my price point ($19.99 one time). You buy the "editor" and all the extra's are free. 

Create, Fill, Edit, Delete and Submit PDF Form Fields
Type, Draw, Comment, Sign and Scan PDF Documents
PDF Ink or PDF Annotator on Table PC

Open, View, Edit and Save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I use e-mail with .pdf files.  The risk of using this method has the same basis as man-made global warming and the Y2K catastrophe.

I am still waiting for a single example of someone intercepting and e-mail and extracting a file from it.

While I agree with you, if I use that my state can come after me.  They forbid the use of unencrypted email for "sensitive information" and not only may I not send it, but if I receive I am supposed to delete that email and inform the sender to do the same.  

• Like 1

This isn't going to stray down a path into political discussion.  I've hidden the last 3 posts going in that direction that had nothing to do with the topic.

Please, let's get this back to the original topic of Portal Safe or other avenues of sending and receiving information securely.

I live close enough to Catherine's state that I do have resident tax returns, NR tax returns, and people with no business at all there but might be picking up there emails while vacationing on the Cape (I gave it away!) so I really push for clients to use FileShare so I don't have to worry about as much.

• Like 1

It's not a question of it being completely safe from everything.  We know that is not the case at all.  It's a question of us doing as much as we can in the perception of most of our clients and still doing our work and staying within the law of all the governments and agencies that have authority over us.  I remember cleaning up a storm and fussing to my family about cleaning up before the inlaws arrived and being asked by my son why I even bothered since MIL was going to complain anyway; my answer was that I would know that I did my best in the time I had.

1 hour ago, Yardley CPA said:

I'm using Adobe and apply a password to the pdf.  I attach that to my email and send it to my client.  Is that not "safe" enough?

I have also been using Adobe Pro.  This year, however, I am using 256 bit encryption with a more complex password sent in a separate email from the attached returns.  My reading is that banks use 256 bit and it has to be better than 128 and my password is now 3 times more complex but sensible to the client.  I am doing my best. 

• Like 1