ATX Community

"It's a Very Simple Return"

RitaB

My new policy on simple returns is to tack on $50 for the first “it’s simple” and $25 for each subsequent “it’s simple,” up to three.  Then it’s gonna be, “You’re right, this is really too simple a return for me to prepare as I specialize in difficult returns.  Thanks for calling, but I can’t take this engagement.”

"I should just do this myself," gets a punch in the stomach thru the phone.

• Like 12

Had one walk in off the street this week who had the return done last year by a local back porch preparer (translated low fee).  Asked our fee.  We prefaced the response with, it is going to be A LOT more than last year and then quote him a number.  He says he would rather pay that and know that it is right.  (I should mention that this guy was referred by an ex-client).  Then this guy proceeds to ask if we give military discounts.  I ask if he is in the military and he says no, but I was.  Then he proceeds to mention that Liberty will do the return for free.  I start for the door to open it so he does not break it when I kick him out but he stops me and says, I will pay whatever you charge me because you come highly recommended.  This ought to be fun.  :)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Lion EA said:

We can, can't we?  Hey, Catherine, isn't there something in the second amendment about well-regulated militia and tax preparers and jerky wannabe clients?

No you can't shoot them but many idiots don't know that.  My office is full of 2nd amendment and NRA posters, a few of my martial art trophy's, a display of swords and Escrima sticks, etc.  My receivables are -0-.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, michaelmars said:

No you can't shoot them but many idiots don't know that.  My office is full of 2nd amendment and NRA posters, a few of my martial art trophy's, a display of swords and Escrima sticks, etc.  My receivables are -0-.

No NRA posters in my office but beside the door to the inner office (mine) is a photo of me with my Wah Lum Kung Fu double broadswords.  Maybe on the other side of the door I should put up a picture of myself on the line at the spring rifle league matches.  @Margaret CPA in OH you remember holding my pretty purple rifle don't you?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, michaelmars said:

"Wah Lum Kung Fu double broadswords"

I had to google these, nice swords. 

here is my favorite pic

teach your daughter to shoot.jpg

This link is to a Concord MA Wah Lum school double broadswords photo - from their online gallery; not my school.  The photo in my office is the same pose but from the other side so you can also see the lower, horizontal sword.  Also I am wearing all black instead of exhibition red.

Concord broadswords 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

This link is to a Concord MA Wah Lum school double broadswords photo - from their online gallery; not my school.  The photo in my office is the same pose but from the other side so you can also see the lower, horizontal sword.  Also I am wearing all black instead of exhibition red.

Concord broadswords 

Remind me to never, ever make you mad.  You could be scary if ever crossed.

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Just picked up a 7 year old retread client.  2 W-2s and a 1098INT.  Price increase over normal is happening.  After tax year 2008, they have not communicated with me.  Their info was in my drop box today.  I don't know if their return fits the description of "simple?"

Maybe they moved away and just moved back in 2015?  

30 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Remind me to never, ever make you mad.  You could be scary if ever crossed.

Tom
Newark, CA

My family will tell you that my temper is flash-in-the-pan.  Something gets me royally ticked off, for ten seconds I yell at whatever thing has offended me (or some inanimate object for when the thing is a client or family member), it's done.  Can't even remember it; don't hold grudges.  I'm generally a happy person.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Just picked up a 7 year old retread client.  2 W-2s and a 1098INT.  Price increase over normal is happening.  After tax year 2008, they have not communicated with me.  Their info was in my drop box today.  I don't know if their return fits the description of "simple?"

Of course it is "simple"!  They ALL are!!!!!:wacko:

• Like 2