ATX Community

ATX Renewal

ETax847

Yesterday I get a call from my ATX rep asking me to renew today and that this was the best offer he could offer me if I renew right now.  My renewal rate has jumped up substantially to where I told him I would consider all options before deciding.  Has anyone else renewed this early or do you wait and end up with more favorable pricing?

I've gotten e-mails and a renewal letter in the mail.  Yes, the increase is substantial and I wonder at what point you say "too much" and walk away.  This, just after reading an article about the shortage of Accountants in the United States.  We are so burdened right now.  A stab from ATX is not necessarily appreciated.  

• Like 3

I got my renewal letter--I have until May 31st to accept, which is the usual date.  I moved away from Max awhile back as I curtailed my business and just buy the ATX 1040 package--renewal is for $1,033.60--which I wouldn't recommend if you are doing more than about 125 returns--the per charge cost adds up quickly, especially with partnerships, trusts, and if you need more than 3 different state returns (although at least you don't have to pay until you download the return).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like BrewOne, I stopped using MAX when I spun off my business clients which then reduced my individual base.  I frequently do have to use the PPR for additional states or the odd other return (gift tax this year and next year) but charge for that.  I bill by time and add on additional time to cover the cost.  As BrewOne points out, your add on costs can be significant depending on your practice. 

With only a couple more years to go, maybe, I will stick with what I have and gulp down the annoyance of the push for renewal before April 15.  Give us a break already!  Wait a week!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Randall said:

I don't know why they can't wait until after April 15.

That always annoyed me to no end, but I wonder if it's because many of us don't work the off season, and so might miss any notices sent later.

Like others, I quit MAX 2 years ago.  Last year it worked out to be about the same cost, but then I fired all my non-profits, and a bunch of 1040 clients.  This year I'll fire more 1040s.  Goal is to hold onto tax season but without extensions and without clients who stress me out, lol.   This year the delay in so many K1s is kinda screwing that up, but as long as I have everything done and double checked, I'm ok with just plugging in the K1s later on.

• Like 6

I have been using ATX since 2004. First Total Tax Office then Max.  But I am getting old and don't need the money that bad so I just finished my last tax season.   I am very familiar with ATX and like it a lot.  If they made a "1040 LIte" I would buy it just to do my return as well as my brother's and daughter's. 

But since the 1040 product costs about $1100, I guess I will be doing those three returns next year on Turbotax.  Unless someone here can suggest something better.  Its just that it seems that there is no program in the $300 to $400 range.

1 hour ago, Lee B said:

I used Drake Pay Per Return this tax season.

It cost $355 which included 10 personal tax returns.

I have retired and Drake PPR worked perfect for relatives and my own.

• Like 5

I have been with ATX since they bought out Saber (?). In a word from the beginning. I have watched each year their constant increases while we are continually challenged by Free file and of all things offers from neighborhood banks to file taxes. Their charges for efiles increase your cost not insignificantly while other providers provide it without cost. My practice is  a small home based business so i will likely seek another provider. You would think they could produce a lite version but no they won't. I am going to check out the above mentioned Drake PPR to see if it might be a viable solution.

• Like 1

Makes me think. Our first official order was in 1984, $35. Currently, for the most similar program, the price is $79. In 1984, we calculated and filled in preprinted paychecks. Paper "reports" were printed to get figures to enter into tax forms. W2 fill in was possible, if you or we knew the proper "printer control codes" for the brand and model of printer being used.

Inflation charts tell me I should be charging about $105.  But nope, and we have exponentially more functions/features than 1984.

--

The reality is, there is usually one code base these days, with the ability to hide/disable things if you want a lite or different "versions". The cost is actually MORE, to produce the lesser versions (time adding/testing the code to hide/disable things). The savings of a lite version are often from reduced support costs via restrictions on support in some manner (the cost of one long support issue can take a couple of years for the customer's license fee to recoup).

--

Written as I chuckle to myself pondering pricing. I just filled up our EV for under $10 (~250 miles) and tomorrow, I get to fill up our ICE, about 30 gallons at $5.80 per, good for about 600 miles. The last time I got gas, it was at least a dollar less per gallon. We would have no ICE car, except it is the one SWMBO allows the pups in, and it can be flat towed behind our motorhome. We have no room for a car trailer or I would get a second EV to drag around on trips. I am allowed to keep our Wrangler, carbureted, 4WD, top and doors off, and I get to use the third pedal!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scottmcfly said:

I have been using ATX since 2004. First Total Tax Office then Max.  But I am getting old and don't need the money that bad so I just finished my last tax season.   I am very familiar with ATX and like it a lot.  If they made a "1040 LIte" I would buy it just to do my return as well as my brother's and daughter's. 

But since the 1040 product costs about $1100, I guess I will be doing those three returns next year on Turbotax.  Unless someone here can suggest something better.  Its just that it seems that there is no program in the $300 to $400 range.

I dropped back to 1040 to do my 1065, 1120S and 1040, plus my fiancee's 1040. Still cheaper than paying someone to do all of those or messing with some other software. But then I added 8 or 9 simple paid returns that more than pay for the software.

• Like 4