ATX Community

Is anyone else irritated at the H&R ads?

kcjenkins

What about those H&R ads?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find them insulting?

• No, they are just funny
    • Yes, they are really stupid
    • Yes, they are worse than ever
    • No, they are right for their market segment
    • Yes, they are stupid, but effective.
    • I really haven't seen any of them
    • I don't think about them
    • I don't watch TV

I'm getting more irritated with the Turbo tax ads, in particular the business ads. They claim it's so easy anyone can do it and are offering free efile for Corps, P-ships and individual businesses. I think they de-value the service we offer making it sound like we are overcharging to do such a "simple task"!

Well I worked for them for two seasons and saw how they charged so much for nothing and how cold they were with clients. I was always told to get them through as quick as possible and stick to the questions on the screen when preparing. It made clients a number and a name not a person with real worries, concerns and questions about the tax situations. Thats why I branched off and started my own tax prep service and i always share my experience with clients when doing their taxes and everyone of them have had the "h&r block experience" and knw the difference of personal tax relationships that they get with people like us and the warehousing they get with them.... WE R THE CHOSEN ONES!!! LOL! :wub:

What scares me is that I had someone call me to do his return because HR turned him down for an RAL. Do you suppose it was because he wanted to take his girlfriend and her children as dependents, even though she was still married to her "soon to be ex" and he was in jail but she and her children lived with this guy for "essentially" the whole year. No, I'm not desperate enough to take him as a client either.

AnnieR

I had a client recently ask me if HR opening up at our local Walmart was hurting my business. I told her no, actually HR has helped me grow my business. Each year I get new clients that have just come from HR upset because of their mistakes, and pay me to redo their returns. They love the personal attention, my willingness to sit down and discuss things with them and the fact that I can quote them a price over the phone.

In defense of HR there are some who work for them, at least in the past, that are very competent. I took their basic training course years ago and the lady teaching our class was excellent! To put it to you this way, after leaving her classs if I needed my taxes done by someone I would definitely go to her. I have never had any doubt that she knew what she was talking about. Sadly she is the exception!

Deb!

Sadly she is the exception!

I, too, took the basic course years ago and had the same experience. She was great. She was definitely the exception. I worked one season and was so frustrated at the owner/manager, who, quoting Jim Cramer," KNOWS NOTHING", I left and did not work in taxes for a couple of years.

I also noticed the new personalized avenue ads they're showing - the couple above a room of preparers they're trying to find the right one. I highly doubt that service is immediately available to customers. Meaning if you want a specific person you'll have make an appointment and wait - many customers like their walk-in service.

Even though the checkstub loans really tick me off, I have to say there is one HRB commercial that I thought was really funny.

The one where the guy is sitting in his office at work and he keeps hearing tax terms. In the room next door, the boss walks by and catches 2 co-workers whispering those tax terms into to the ventilation system so the other guy can hear them.

Boss - "What are you doing?"

Co-Workers - " Driving Jim crazy."

Boss - "He doesn't have people?"

Co-Workers - "No."

Boss - "OK, carry on."

I thought it was funny.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Have not seen any of their ads this year. Of course we are all familair with the general theme of such ads. My take is that no matter what business you are in, you cannot be all things for all people. Block has a target market, as do I. Candidly, I have no interest in bargain hunters and hopefully I have seen my last EIC return. To directly answer the question; they do not irritate me at all.

The HRB ads are so-so. Sometimes they're irritating, other are cute.

But what really gets my attention is the "Lady Liberty" standing on the side of the road in her green nightgown & crown waving at cars as they go by. Not that's high class advertising for ya.

Lady Liberty is usually a guy! I have to wave to them when I go by.

I kinda despise all of the ads as they are misleading to say the least and make no suggestion of the real intent to rip people off and pray on their ignorance. I get really irritated at the file your taxes for free ads. Why would anyone want to mess with something like taxes and the IRS if they have no clue what they're doing? Do your return for free, screw it up and we'll penalize the crap out of you, intimidate you into paying amounts you may not owe and make your life a living hell for at least two years and will thank you for it from the new friendlier IRS. Sounds like a bargain to me. It's even a better deal for the IRS now cause they need the extra money to pay-off all of the bail outs.

I primarily dislike the DIY ads that basically say that now you too can preparer a complex business return without knowing a thing about taxes.

Kind of implies that what we all do is plug numbers in and charge hundreds of dollars like evil money grubby devils.

Oh jeepers -- you mean we're supposed to do MORE than that?!?!?!?!? No one told ME!!!

:P

I primarily dislike the DIY ads that basically say that now you too can preparer a complex business return without knowing a thing about taxes.

Kind of implies that what we all do is plug numbers in and charge hundreds of dollars like evil money grubby devils.

Sure, those business returns are so simple a cave man could do them using Turbo Tax. That's why Alley Oop does his own Form 1120 with Turbo Tax.