ATX Community

ATXers community feedback via Suggestion Box

HV Ken

When I was on the phone with ATX tech support this am, the rep told me that they are asking customers that used the ATXers community to provide feedback via the Suggestion Box and that they are counting the number of comments they receive via this avenue.

Come on gang - let's at least go down swinging! (By that I mean - putting up a fight) Share why the ATXers community was so important to you. Don't let us the ones to blame.

Rah rah rah!

HV Ken

When I was on the phone with ATX tech support this am, the rep told me that they are asking customers that used the ATXers community to provide feedback via the Suggestion Box and that they are counting the number of comments they receive via this avenue.

Come on gang - let's at least go down swinging! (By that I mean - putting up a fight) Share why the ATXers community was so important to you. Don't let us the ones to blame.

Rah rah rah!

HV Ken

Sorry Ken, no thanks. Even if I thought it would do some good, I won't be a party to begging any company for anything. I'll speak when the time is right...with my wallet.

Do you really believe they have not been monitoring these other forums and already know how we feel.??? In fact, they had to know how we would feel before they even did it. We had been a close knit community for years. I would rather not beg either.....I did send them an e mail early on and received no response.

Do you really believe they have not been monitoring these other forums and already know how we feel.??? In fact, they had to know how we would feel before they even did it. We had been a close knit community for years. I would rather not beg either.....I did send them an e mail early on and received no response.

I have to agree with Bob & Marilyn on this one. I think we have the beginning of a great thing here. We have the chance to be a close knit community once again. Just in the two weeks or less that the board has been up & running there are over 100+ members. I would prefer to stay here.

Eli

I agree with all of the above. I will not beg ATX for nothing. I actually like this forum better then theirs anyway. We can be ourselves here. I feel at home here..

I will be sending erc some money to keep this one up and running I figure if we all sent just $10.00 it would take care of at least 12 months if not more. I would also be willing to send more if need be.

Marge

After reading Ken's post I wavered on whether to send a message to ATX, because I doubt I would use their in-house community if revived, even if I decide to use their software next year.

However, I did want to express my opinion to ATX, so I did finally send them the following Suggestion:

"Regarding the unprofessional, unannounced, and unexplained termination of the Community, I have 6 words.

You People Blew It - Big Time."

"Regarding the unprofessional, unannounced, and unexplained termination of the Community, I have 6 words.

You People Blew It - Big Time."

I guess they really didn't blow it big time. Most of the posts on the old board had a hundred readers at best. If ATX really did have 70,000 customers, that's a trivial number to loose.

I guess they really didn't blow it big time. Most of the posts on the old board had a hundred readers at best. If ATX really did have 70,000 customers, that's a trivial number to loose.

Here is what the ATX website says "Find out why 34,000 tax professionals used ATX to prepare 2006 tax returns."

Don:

You are right, of course, with respect to the raw numbers. 100 or so out of that large number isn't a terrible loss.

But I'm also evaluating the action from my perspective as a sales rep (the other hat I wear). In the sales business, that group would for the most part be considered "product champions" - people who actively promote the product among their peers without compensation or incentives to influence their support. However, even conceding that the size the "product champion" group is still a small part of the whole, the perceived damage to the company's reputation is "big time" as far as I'm concerned. With a flick of the switch, they threw most of their product champions overboard.

IMO, hubris is a greater challange to the long-term success of any enterprise than the temporary effects of a few bad decisions. And it's often the least-recognized fault of many management teams, because by the time the damage is done they've usually moved on, often leaving a disaster in their wake..

I agree with all of the above statements and this board may very well present a better avenue for peer to peer reviews of tax preparation, accounting, write-up, as well as any other software that some one wants to know about due to the fact we are not in any particular companies back yard. I will be evaluating other software as well. Whie ATX has some quirks, I am sure other companies do as well. For the money, it is a good product. Closing down the community was a bad mistake because we lost the knowledge and helpfulness of all of our peers. Even those who were not congenial usually offered some of the best advice. It appears this board is rapidly expanding to that level and I for one am pleased.

Terry D.

I agree with all of the above statements and this board may very well present a better avenue for peer to peer reviews of tax preparation, accounting, write-up, as well as any other software that some one wants to know about due to the fact we are not in any particular companies back yard. I will be evaluating other software as well. Whie ATX has some quirks, I am sure other companies do as well. For the money, it is a good product. Closing down the community was a bad mistake because we lost the knowledge and helpfulness of all of our peers. Even those who were not congenial usually offered some of the best advice. It appears this board is rapidly expanding to that level and I for one am pleased.

Terry D.

John wrote "hubris is a greater challange to the long-term success of any enterprise than the temporary effects of a few bad decisions. And it's often the least-recognized fault of many management teams, because by the time the damage is done they've usually moved on, often leaving a disaster in their wake."

Let me say one more time with emphasis:

The discontinuance and termination of the old Forum was a bad move, no question. But as I said before and John has said more eloquently above, the person who made this decision has reached their level of incompetence and will be promoted and move on. The problem as I see it is their attitude.

Discontinuation with no warning, no archive, no explanation, just a short terse message demonstrates an underlying attitude toward the customers that is likely going to get worse over time. That's the part that bothers me the most.

I also agree that of the 34,000 customers, there was only a small percentage who used the forum. That fact, however, does not make its discontinuance any more a logical or sound business decision. When ATX was founded, Glynn and William built the business with a good product priced right, the support and the forum, and I must mention the camaraderie that was built over the years between William and the customers. William was ATX. These two had the insight to see the value of the forum with ATXers helping each other. Support and other ATX personnel were nearly always present on the board and responded to customers frequently. So it is beyond my comprehension as to how discontinuing an element of your business that was so much a part of the success of the business can be thought of as a sound decision.

Even if there were only 100 users of the forum, there were many 'lurkers' who read the postings. As the owner of a tax-related Yahoo group, I notice that while there are over 1000 group members, probably fewer than 100 post messages asking or answering questions.

I am a fairly frequent poster of messages, but I read many more messages than I post. Often someone asks or answers questions on subjects for which my own knowledge is too limited to answer or even ask, but by reading the questions and answers, I gain valuable knowledge and new insignts.

I would have certainly renewed with ATX's MAX program until they presented us with this slap in the face. Now I am almost certain to switch. One message they seem to be sending is that this is just a prelude to more high-handed ways of cost cutting based on the idea that losing a few customers is OK if it improves the bottom line. However, I am more interested in MY bottom line than theirs.

What next? They have dropped the free zillion forms they promised to continue forever. They dropped the message board. They dropped the 'chat' feature. Next: drop free e-filing? Drop including W-2/1099 as part of MAX? All of thise are good things to market separately to improve profits. All they have to worry about is to keep up the cost cutting without losing too many clients.

I am much like a cheap switch....Easy to turn on and just as easy to turn off.....Being cheap though...If I am turned on then off, I might break and not be able to be turned on again.

This is what has happened....ATX turned me on...Then harshly and violently turned me off....I am broke and ATX will never turn me on again. For various reasons that I will not get into here...I MAY use their software for another season.....but they will never....NEVER regain my trust and devotion...If they were to bring back the former community, I would not take part in it. I have found a new home.

ouch....drank that slushy too fast

Rah rah rah!

HV Ken

I MAY use their software for another season.....but they will never....NEVER regain my trust and devotion...

JB................your very correct about the aspect of trust & devotion.

My office will do a complete comparison of all the tax software product's on the market this off season. Actually we've already began ordering demo versions.

The decision they made was totally unprofessional in my eyes. Not going to get into everything here, but my office must look at additional options due to reason's beyond them taking away the community board.

Regards,

Single Dad

After a couple days of being "back to normal", I've had some time to assess my thoughts on ATX. I have been extremely happy with the software over the last 6 years that I've used it. Each year got better, as I got used to its improvements and developments. Much of this I credit to the community, because there was always help and some sort of feedback to whatever problem I was experiencing. I never had to call tech support, because my answers were within the forum. It was invaluable. I now feel a sense of abandoment, and wonder what else will be abandoned without notice. Its kind of hard to trust this company with my livelyhood.

On another note, this forum is a great start in regaining the camaraderie, than we once enjoyed, and I will also be willing to support it financially.

Robin

What next? They have dropped the free zillion forms they promised to continue forever. They dropped the message board. They dropped the 'chat' feature. Next: drop free e-filing?

They already did that. The 1040 program used to have unlimited free e-file - now is has NONE! 1040 Office had unlimited - now it has 100 returns.

JB................your very correct about the aspect of trust & devotion.

My office will do a complete comparison of all the tax software product's on the market this off season. Actually we've already began ordering demo versions.

The decision they made was totally unprofessional in my eyes. Not going to get into everything here, but my office must look at additional options due to reason's beyond them taking away the community board.

Regards,

Single Dad

Over in TaxProExchange I am running several threads on this very issue, evaluations of most of the major options. Please feel free to read them, and to contribute to any of them you are able to. I'm hoping that we get a lot of feedback as users check out the trial copies of the alternatives. There is a thread for Creative Solutions/Ultratax, Drake, ProSeriesFX, and Orrtax. Anyone who wants can start on on Lacerte. I did not, because there is NO WAY I would go with Intuit unless they were the ONLY software available. But that's just MY opinion, so feel free to include it if you want to.

KC

I would have certainly renewed with ATX's MAX program until they presented us with this slap in the face. Now I am almost certain to switch. One message they seem to be sending is that this is just a prelude to more high-handed ways of cost cutting based on the idea that losing a few customers is OK if it improves the bottom line. However, I am more interested in MY bottom line than theirs.

What next? They have dropped the free zillion forms they promised to continue forever. They dropped the message board. They dropped the 'chat' feature. Next: drop free e-filing? Drop including W-2/1099 as part of MAX? All of thise are good things to market separately to improve profits. All they have to worry about is to keep up the cost cutting without losing too many clients.

This is what you want to putting into their suggestion box, not bring back the community. Any company that is not interested in their clients bottom line is not really interested in the client. It is only as ATX did those things that enhanced our business with better service, problem solving, product, etc that we stayed and spread the word. If our costs go up and we receive less service, product, etc what is our incentive to stay. Ultimately, our bottom line suffering will cause their bottom line to suffer...unless their ultimate direction it to terminate ATX anyway.

Mike

KC....I feel exactly the same way as you do about Intuit. But, doesn't Proseries belong to them or did that change? Anyway, my feelings go all the way back to Parsons Tech and that is a long time to hold a grudge. But, once stabbed..........etc. I am old enough to consider hanging up this business though that would not be my wish as present. I was hoping for at least a couple of more good years, mind willing. It also concerns me that with so many on this board talking about giving up ATX, what good will this forum be as regards ATX? We all know that it has been an excellent software. I have always known that the Parsons scenario could happen again. Who is to say that it won't happen no matter which software any of us chooses to purchase? <_<

It also concerns me that with so many on this board talking about giving up ATX, what good will this forum be as regards ATX?

I understand your concern. If the majority of people on this forum are using any one of a number of "other" programs, the "program" help would be affected. While the program help would be affected, the IRC technical help is still available since it is not affected by what software you may be using.

Moreover, the camaraderie that we have would still be in effect and available. Perhaps we could get erc to change the name of this forum to XATXers.

I already did that. Two days later. When it went down 3 hours after I had been on it, I attributed it to systems problems and possibly the fact there was severe weather in the Northeast. After 2 days, I emailed tech support. My responder said they had no warning either. It was a "corporate decision." He suggested the suggestion box. I gave them an earful including that I wasn't buying their story/reasoning due to the manner in which it was handled, and that I would reassess whether I wanted to continue the software next year. I have already been pitched the early discount sign-up. Ha! I think I will give them another suggestion. I found the forum to be immensely informative for the most part. I will grant you that some persons seem to love to hear themselves talk, and could wander all over the place and off the subject. I usually did not read jokes, or responses that started off the track and seemed to remain there -- especially arguments. There could have been improvements or some other controls. But they were a small percentage and I miss it. Perhaps this is the answer, and will be better! A colleague recently sent me the site so I just found it. I would like to see it utilized between professionals. Is there somewhere that explains all these things on here? Like UPLOAD, BB code help, etc.

Is there somewhere that explains all these things on here? Like UPLOAD, BB code help, etc.

Here is the forum Help, which can be searched:

http://www.atxcommunity.com/index.php?act=Help

for BB Code, there is a button labeled "BB Code Help" when replying.. this tells you how to use the BB Code markup, although it's not usually necessary to manually type it. The editor buttons at the top do an alright of generating the BB Code for you. (you can highlight some text and hit the "b" button, and it'll add the BB Code to make that text bold)

If you want to test out the features and make some test posts, you're welcome to do that in the Website Discussion forum. Go ahead and create a new topic called "Test" and mess around with the features to get to learn them. You can't break anything, so don't worry about making a mess.. just keep it in the Website Discussion forum.

If you still have questions after tinkering with the features, ask in the Website Discussion forum, and I'll do my best to answer them.

I didn't start a new topic for this post - it's just a comment and seems to fit generally into the original title, although it doesn't follow the subject of the last few posts. Nevertheless...

Maybe I'm not doing the math right, but I seem to remember that it was suggested that there were only about 100 or so uses of the original ATX Community. I can't remember where this number came from - maybe it was an esitmate of only the number of posters.

Anyhow, I notice that the number of users of this Community is now approcahing 180. I'd say that's a positive growth curve, especially considering that this Community is growing entirely by word of mouth.