ATX Community

this just in on 12.8 update IMPORTANT!

joanmcq

7:15 PM EST: Our testing team just received a new 12.8 Release Candidate and is in the process of testing it. If testing goes as we expect it to tonight and in the morning, we are targeting a mid-day delivery on Friday.

Below are some items that are planned to be released and/or corrected with the ATX 2012 Program Update 12.8. Please note that this is not an all-inclusive list.

Important Network Workstations

Network workstations must be closed prior to downloading the update on the network server. We are making some changes to improve the performance when your workstation is trying to sync with the server. You may want to open Preferences and turn off automatic updates prior to Friday if you are concerned about picking up the update after you are actively working in ATX 2012 on your workstations.

Impact on filing returns with Form 4562

The release of the Forms update for the 4562 is dependent upon changes that were made in the 12.8 program update. The timing of downloading and applying the 12.8 update is very important. In order to give customers time to get the updates in the proper order, we will release the 12.8 approximately 12 hours before releasing the Forms update for the 4562. .

Q: How will I know if I pick up the updates out of order?

A: If you pick up the Forms Update for the 4562 prior to downloading and installing 12.8 and open a return that includes a 4562, your return will close.

The Following Functionality has been added to the product

• Print a list of Return Errors: You will have the ability to print an error report from the Check Return diagnostics pane.
  • Interviews: The interview content is now available for Forms 1040 and 1065. You can get more detailed information on how to use the Interview in Program help.
  • Print Acknowledgements: You can now print your acknowledgments
  • E-file Reject Status: The acknowledgement history dialog explains why an e-file is rejected and steps for reject correction.
  • Print Preferences: You can now change the default print selection for Statements and Federal Attachments for State returns for all three print copies. This will allow you to eliminate the extra pages printing with your return.
  • Printing Statements: Multiple statements will now print on a single page instead of printing one statement per page.
  • View all downloaded forms: We have added a new forms tab to the Forms Update Report that will allow you to view all of the forms you downloaded.
  • E-file Manager's Report Menu: You can now print a marked client list from the E-file Manager's report menu
  • Custom List design changes and rollover: These changes allow you to design a list and preview it on the same screen. Custom lists are now included in the list of rollover over return items.
  • Title area remains visible while scrolling: The titles will remain visible when you scroll right or down on various panes and worksheets.
  • Exported Return naming convention: All exported 2012 returns has a .atxExport extension

The following issues have been resolved in this Program Update for the Client Letter

• Right-Click to "re-add" federal and state letters and cover sheets to signature forms.
  • Issue where state section of the client letter was not displaying direct deposit information, but did state that a paper check would be mailed.
  • Client letter for NJ Business forms
  • Having to open print manager to make a client letter say that the "paper check will be mailed"

The following issues have been resolved in this Program Update

• The application will NOW automatically collate your printed sets of returns
  • Corrected various issues relating to drop-down selections on forms
  • Fixed missing data on custom and itemized lists when printing to PDF
  • Improvements in JumpTo accuracy.
  • Changing the font on inserted text in a return
  • Form Update Report issues have been fixed
  • Added additional coding to prevent the use of forms that become corrupt during the download process.

Fixed Asset Manager (FAM) Items

• Rounding issue corrected that was visible in the depreciation reports on the 4562 under the Accumulated Depreciation column when Bonus depreciation was taken
  • Real property calculations using SL/GDS method and MM convention (such as R-5) revised to use optional MACRS table rate regardless if the asset was placed in service in a short year. This change will make subsequent year current depreciation consisted with ATX 2011.
  • Bulk Sale feature revised to filter the list of available assets based on similarities in assets, such as holding period, property type (1245, 1250)
  • Navigation from diagnostics to a referenced asset enabled
  • Home office worksheet and Fixed Assets linking completed. The business use percent in Fixed Assets Home Office copies will now show the correct business use percent from 8829, 2106, Schedule A, Schedule F (1040)

Kim Manuel
VP - Customer Relations

What is the cost for Proseries (equivalent to ATX Max package) this year? Back in 2005 or 2006 the cost was about $3000-$3500 plus the cost of additional states. Also, don't know if this is true but my associate says the HR Block sells their tax software for tax preparer, I check their website but I only software for personal use, any know if this true?

MAS

Today my program is crashing and crashing with no relation to the forms being updated and I am just taking information from the clients to input when I can. One tax file-1040, sch A, crashed 5 times in front of the client. This has become castastrophic for me and I have my charge card out and calling Pro Series now. Will deal with refund for program later. Nothing to lose right now... Already lost thousands so far this year.

On the other Board, I read that it takes two weeks or more. Better check carefully on that factor. Makes them not an option for me.

Well, with 12.8, maybe I will reconsider. I guess we could work on ProSeries 2012 (start from scratch, as if it were a new client) and tough it out until they got the conversion done, right? Joan, I think on a TMI thread you said that Lacarte and ProSeries were NOT forms based. Please tell me I read that wrong, and ProSeries IS forms based. I hated dinking around with Drake. I can't take that.

i got the proseries complete library for $2000 locked in for 5 years, they are giving 40-60% of regular prices, negotiate with them

Is that the PowerTax Library that includes Business returns and all states? I had a litte trouble trying to decide what you get with ProSeries Professional. It appeared to me that you get all 1040 forms, and PPR for states and business. So, they will haggle with us? Cause I am in the mood to haggle.

ProSystem fx has a worksheet view and an interview view, as well as being able to keep government forms open alongside worksheet view. You can toggle back and forth between views. As long as you have at least two monitors, you can keep government forms open as well. And, different preparers in your firm can use whichever view they prefer; you can switch to your preference when you review their work. Very flexible.

Pro fx also has a conversion program you use on your own computer, no waiting to receive your files back.

Back in 2006 when I was shopping, unlimited everything ProSystem fx was $10,000. They offered me $5,000 locked in for three years. After my first year when I knew what returns I was preparing, my sales rep and I recalculated and decided that pay-per-return would come in a bit cheaper, between $4,000 and $5,000 with e-filing. If I remember correctly, you usually need at least 200 returns to do better with unlimited pricing. During 2011, I spent $6,200 with CCH, but that included my web site Site Builder, online research IntelliConnect, and the CCH User Conference in San Antonio (great CE).

I'll see if my rep knows who covers your area and nudge them a bit.

Pro Series is stating 10 days for conversion. I have gone 4 weeks with out being able to work a full day. What is there to lose. They are not experiencing problems. What is 2 weeks when we are in the peak of client days and not working at this point. If you cn't pull up a file, then what?

Yes, I agree. I thought I had nothing to lose when I purchased Drake on 2/07, but I could not get my head around it. I must be a freak of nature, cause many love it, but I decided to keep plugging along with ATX. Well, now, there is no plugging along even. Whew, I am about to decide if I can download ProSeries and work on everybody like they're a new client while ProSeries converts my files, I might can live with it. Never thought I'd say that. Oh well, never say never. So, is ProSeries form based for sure? Do we know?

I believe Proseries is.. used it for 6 years before switching to my own firm and have used ATX for 7. No more. That is a good idea to reenter info as new until conversion comes back.. Spoke with rep and ProSeries time frame is 3-5 days but due to the influx of "new users", she is stating 10 days. Advised they are pulling all of their resources from everywhere to accomodate the "new users" and switchovers..