ATX Community

ATX issues..feel free to add to the list

jshtax

First off this software sucks ass because it has issues in the stupidest of places. I know those of you out there that ATX must have pictures of in compromising places that think he can do no wrong and is the greatest software since AOL might take offense to this but I do not care as those people need to wake up.

1. The annoying server connection issue. I tried to error check a return and I got the message 6 times in a row.

2. When trying to open a client I type their name in and it populates with returns that have nothing to do with the name I typed in. This is not a big issue until I go to click on the name and the entire list resets itself.

3. Still not as smooth between entering data but better than last year.

4. Program freezing for no reason while working on a return. Can last up to a minute before waking up.

5. Dont get me started on the rollover process.

I don't have your issues with the server because I use stand alone. Overall, I am much more pleased with the software this year. And I don't think ATX is monitoring this board anyway. But I do have a couple of pet peeves:

1. The education credits. The input is clunky and the information does not flow like it should. No where does the software check the grants and scholarships against the qualified ed expenses. This is a joke.

2. The home office worksheet. While I appreciate where they are going with the form, it is clunky and hard to work with.

3. E-file CA 541. Their inability to get this form to E-file is a joke.

4. CA 100S Schedule B depreciation differences. It is a joke that I have to override all the fields to get the CA depreciation in when the depreciation comes from the rental activity. This should flow through to the form.

With that being said, I am still happy with the software. Good value for a good product. Just no support anymore, which is a dirty shame. They were one of the greatest support departments ever, now they are the biggest joke ever.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

Like at least some, I have had near zero issues this year. But I am right with you, Tom, on the education credit stuff and also the HSA input. I constantly find myself going in circles with each of these. I really miss that neat ed optimizer chart in the past. And I am annoyed that the General City return for Ohio is so crappy. But that is mostly an Ohio issue and ATX was way generous for so many years providing the variety of forms they did. Guess there will always be something to complain about but I haven't yet gotten to complain about the cost for the package, for my business any way.

• Like 1

Like at least some, I have had near zero issues this year.

Agree, I have been happy with the software this year. Also standalone. Agree with others that education credit stuff and home office are a slog. Annoys me that we can't enter three numbers for supplies or whatever and add them by typing = a + b + c right on the line like we used to. Hate to see "Rollove" for " Rollover". Otherwise I'm a pretty happy camper.

Since the last update fixed the sever retry issue for me, I don't have any real issues.

Can't open multiple returns, not a big deal for me. A bit of hesitation on worksheet data entry, but way better than last year.

The Print Manager is so much better than last year. The Education Credit is annoying but workable once you get used to it.

I agree, the Home Office Worksheet is a design failure. Last year, other than dealing with the slowness of opening the program,

opening returns and loading forms to print, ATX 2012 worked OK for me.

How about not being able to enter 157.55 on 8949 you have to round up or down

Agreed.

I've never had the server issue, and the software has worked pretty well for me.

I agree with Tom's comments on Education and Home Office.

I have had the program freezing up issue, but only during the past 2 weeks or so. It wasn't happening in the beginning.

Overall, I have been happy.

Agree about the letters. I spend more time fixing them on almost every return. And we need direct access to the master letters without having to be in a return. And a default font, including size, that you choose for the letter text under preferences should be added. Often when I'm editing a letter it defaults to 10pt Arial or Georgia, neither of which I use.

• Like 1

No issues for me. In the spirit of full disclosure, I had no issues last year either. I'm working on a stand alone and I have always felt ATX is an excellent program. Some of the quirks I would like to see corrected for next year (assuming there is a next year):

- Biggest issue for me is the 8949 issue (as mentioned by JSH). It makes no sense to me that the form makes you round. When entering W2 information, Interest, Dividends...all those forms allow you to enter the entire number and the program rounds for you automatically. Why shouldn't 8949 work the same way? Some of you may say, "I round myself and have no issues with the form." That's all fine and good, but from a pure data entry standpoint, it would be so much more efficient if the form allowed you to enter the whole number.

- It would be nice if form 8283 had a Payer Manager ( similar to W2 and Schedule B ) and stored the names and addresses of the Goodwill and Vietnam Veterans and all the other charities that people make non-cash contributions to.

- I also would like to see improved education credit input features.

Besides these relatively minor things, I'm happy with the program and I hope ATX is around for 2014 returns.

• Like 1

No server issues, Im on stand alone. I agree with the ed. credit input and Home Office sheet but I can live with them. I hate having to add my default state on every rolled over return. Maybe I missed something but I always have to add it manually.

I left ATX in 2010 (after about 15 years ) for TaxWorks and I was very happy with it vs. ATX. I would have stayed with them given the choice. After getting full tax software packages for the last three years for $400 ATX is a bit more expensive and I don't see any additional value.

• Like 1

The education credit worksheet is very much like it was last year. That was when I hated it. The Home Office was a mystery the first time or two, but finally got that figured out. All in all, taking the bad with the good; the good far outweighs. Standalone, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 16 G Ram.

Unless all of you submit your complaints and suggestions through the suggestion box, all your complaining and whining will be just complaining and whining.

I said this before, when we were at the CAB meeting, we were all shocked at how FEW suggestions and complaints were submitted. Suggestions and complaints that are reported or submitted from the most users get attention.

• Like 4

I don't get this one? I round all numbers. Can you explain what I'm missing here?

On the 8949, it does not round the data entry like it does on pretty much every other form. It instead throws an error and requires us to do the rounding. Not sure why this form was coded differently like this.

Unless all of you submit your complaints and suggestions through the suggestion box, all your complaining and whining will be just complaining and whining.

I said this before, when we were at the CAB meeting, we were all shocked at how FEW suggestions and complaints were submitted. Suggestions and complaints that are reported or submitted from the most users get attention.

I like you Jack but you come across very abrasive. No complaining or whining just trying to get a feel for all the issues people might be having so we can let them know. With that said haven't you tried to tell those assholes at CCH for years about a particular issue only for them to laugh in your face?

No server issues, Im on stand alone. I agree with the ed. credit input and Home Office sheet but I can live with them. I hate having to add my default state on every rolled over return. Maybe I missed something but I always have to add it manually.

I left ATX in 2010 (after about 15 years ) for TaxWorks and I was very happy with it vs. ATX. I would have stayed with them given the choice. After getting full tax software packages for the last three years for $400 ATX is a bit more expensive and I don't see any additional value.

you have missed something because I never have to add my default state on any return I rollover. Do you have your preference checked for your state or do you have all?

A button on the Printing Menu:

"SAVE THE SELECTIONS FOR PRINTING LATER"

So I can make all the selections for that Client, and then let someone else print it.

Not just "save selections", as that only seem to "stick" if you print the return.

Next:

THE ABILITY TO DESIGNATE WHERE EACH CLIENTS PDF CAN BE SAVED. And it remembers to the next year.

Smith, James goes in his folder. Jones, Jane goes in hers.

NEXT:

THE ABILITY TO HAVE THE CLIENT NICKNAMES CARRYOVER ON THE CLIENT LETTER. So, I do not have to check the box, and then type in the clients names each year.

NEXT:

THE BOX FOR ATTACH CLIENTS LETTERS BE LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE ALL THE SELECTIONS IN IT SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SCROLL TO GET THE STATE CLEINT LETTER OR THE MAILING SLIP.

NEXT:

MAKE THE PRINT SELECTION BOXES A LITTLE LARGER

When you have to click those boxes for each return, three times, having them a little larger makes it easier to hit them quickly.

NEXT:

WHEN SELECTING WHICH PAGES TO PRINT, IF YOU DELETE A FORM AT THE TOP, IT LOSES THE WORKSHEETS AND OTHER ATTACHMENTS AUTOMATICALLY

If I delete the 6251 as a Federal form to print, Down below the various other detail pages disappear....

NEXT:

WHEN IN THE PREPARER MANAGER, IF I SELECT 30 CLEINTS TO PRINT A REPORT, GIVE ME SOME CONTROL TO PRINT TO 1, 2 or 3 PAGES WIDE.

I have to send it to Excel just so that I can get some page size control.

That was a start.

Maybe we can take this to the "complaints Section" that exists at ATX?

Rich

• Like 1