ATX Community

Learned a Valuable Lesson About Equipment

RitaB

Ouch!! Should we ask what brought about this public service announcement and how long you will take to get back the use of your finger?

My main stapler problem has been periodic bending of the big heavy-duty ones before they get through the paper -- on one side only (and the side is not consistent so it's not the stapler). Then I get to spend several minutes wrestling with the mucked-up staple, dismembering it (they're brittle) and extricating the mortal remains without ruining my nicely-printed return. Sigh.

• Like 6

Everytime I see the word "Anvil" I think of poor Wiley E Coyote and the 'Anvil" falling on his head...

I have 3 different Staplers. I autostaple for the 2 efile signature pages, 1 mid size Ratchet up to 60 pages, and the big Kuhuna heavy duty one for more than 60 pages.. I really hate when the big Kahuna jams. Usually have to reprint because of the bleeding involved.

• Like 3

I feel for you, because I learned that lesson the hard way, years ago. Yeah, the blood does force a reprint, for sure.

KC is correct IF Rita meant there was actual blood on the return when she said, "But I had to reprint the bloody tax return."

Replace "bloody" with "bleeping" or better yet "frikkin" since this is the ATX Community and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the laughs RitaB. I'd "like" your posts, but I've run out already. :)

• Like 5

KC is correct IF Rita meant there was actual blood on the return when she said, "But I had to reprint the bloody tax return."

Replace "bloody" with "bleeping" or better yet "frikkin" since this is the ATX Community and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for the laughs RitaB. I'd "like" your posts, but I've run out already. :)

There was both blood and extensive bleeping. Not gonna lie.

Oh, one more thing: Stay up to date on tetanus shots. Carry on.

• Like 7

Why reprint the return? Just label it so the client knows what it is and move on. That's the courtesy they would show us!

That's hilarious. I am looking at one now with "Dr. Pepper" written in and an arrow to the offending spot.

is there an extra charge for "blood"?

There is now.

• Like 6

Ouch!! Should we ask what brought about this public service announcement and how long you will take to get back the use of your finger?

My main stapler problem has been periodic bending of the big heavy-duty ones before they get through the paper -- on one side only (and the side is not consistent so it's not the stapler). Then I get to spend several minutes wrestling with the mucked-up staple, dismembering it (they're brittle) and extricating the mortal remains without ruining my nicely-printed return. Sigh.

Me too!! I blame it on cheap staples. the wrestling to get the remians out is a real pain. I keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my desk drawer for digging them out. Fortunately, I use a folder that hides the damage.

• Like 2

Me too!! I blame it on cheap staples. the wrestling to get the remians out is a real pain. I keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my desk drawer for digging them out. Fortunately, I use a folder that hides the damage.

Pliers live in my middle desk drawer too. Amazing how many times they have had to be used. I also keep a small paring knife in my arsenal.

Cutting board and small hammer (with the screwdrivers in the handle) lives on the conference table all season; great for flattening recalcitrant staples including new client's prior-year returns. Can also be used as a small child toy (on the floor) - they love banging things.

Penknife in top drawer of each desk, for the envelopes and packages that come sealed to within an inch of their lives.

Pliers to join the crowd; too many broken staples pain-stakingly pulled by hand this year as in any one instance that is faster that way than going down to my toolbox.

• Like 1

It's where I get the extension numbers for the clients that tell me they don't know, can't be bothered to find their W-2s, etc.!

When they say "I don't have any idea how to decide how much to send in with the extension. What would you do?"

Me: You need to start with last year's amount owed and then think about any changes.

Them. "I have no clue about any of that."

Me: Send $5,000.

Them: "WOW that is way too much!"

Me: I thought you had no clue.....

• Like 7