ATX Community

What's your office hours this weekend?

rfassett

We close the office for Good Friday, open for 4 hours on Saturday and we are never open on Sunday, most especially on Easter.  I, on the other hand, will work a full 12 to 13 hours on Friday and Saturday and will take Easter completely off.  I am so looking forward to not hearing the phone ring or the door open for nearly three whole days.  Don't misunderstand, (which I am certain none of you do), I love my clients and want to talk to them and see them, but enough is enough.  This is a nice little break until the final week madness begins.  I can hear the caller now.  "I picked up my return back in February and I see I have to send a check. Why do I have to send a check?  Who do I make it out to?  What was the amount again?"  I am so grateful that i have staff that can field these calls.  Otherwise I would also be at the mailbox where but a short two steps away, semi-trucks buzz by at 50-plus mph.

• Like 5

I prep returns after working my normal "day job."  I'll be working on returns the entire weekend as I have a significant number of to get done.  I plan on heading to Mass (good Catholic here) and then grabbing breakfast with the family on Easter morning.  Easter afternoon I'll be back at my desk!  

Hope everyone enjoys their Easter weekend!

• Like 2

I'm working all the time, but will attend church and fellowship time on Easter morning.  Appointments only, and I've gotten better about letting the telephone go to voice mail.  I listen to messages later and then return calls the next business day, or sooner.  But, this way I know what they want before I talk to them and can try to control how much time I spend on the call.  I really hate when Easter falls during tax season.

• Like 1

Full day of work on Friday, Good Friday service that night, full day at the office on Saturday, Dinner Saturday night with a client at the best Chinese restaurant this side of Shanghai (Dave Wong's in Stockton CA if you want to know), Sunday morning service, Easter dinner with family.  NO taxes on Easter.

Tom

Newark, CA

Edited by BulldogTom
  • Like 2

Leaving Friday for the beach. Will probably be attending a sunrise service Sunday morning on the pier, with the Atlantic Ocean as the backdrop. Returning to the office on Tuesday Apr 8. No taxes until I return (other than maybe a few phone calls and responding to some emails & texts).

This is mainly because most of my extensions are already filed since I began filing extensions on anything coming in afftyer Mar 10. Anyone showing up between now and Apr 14 automatically gets an extension, even if I think I might get it done by the 14th. The morning of Apr 15 will be spent on a final review of extensions and then hopefully on the way back to the beach by early afternoon for a week of relaxation.

I'm not saying there won't be a few aggravations or surprises along the way, but for the most part I'm coasting toward the finish line.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 2

Went to a Passover Seder at my church tonight where the pastor is a Messianic Jew.  Wow, did I learn stuff there!  Anyone interested I'll tell them all about it after 4/15.  Will definitely be at church early Sunday to practice for the Hallelujah chorus.  Work on Sunday -- probably not.  No appointments *definitely*.  I've been trying really hard to set aside this one day every week.

• Like 3

I might sleep in. Haven't been to church on Easter since the last time it was after tax season. Miss it. Haven't even been to an AA meeting since February. I have to be on site at a client conference April 9-13. Gotta get it all done before then. At least I know there will be recovery meetings there.

But my assistant's wife likes the refund they are getting so much she is going to buy me more Michael Rischutti chocolates.

And a client sent me flowers today because she heard my kitty is sick.

• Like 4

In addition to my tax/consulting gig I also pastor a small church so this is a big week/weekend for me. I hoped to take some time off from tax prep but a flareup of my wife's chronic serious illness coupled with my own trip to the ER yesterday with two(!) kidney stones means I'll have to double up whenever I can. No rest for the weary. Deep sigh.

• Like 3

JJ - keep your priorities in line.  Think 4868.  Tell your clients of your issues.  The very vast majority of them will understand.  Those that don't understand simply don't care about you as a person.  I told one yesterday, who in the past has been very, very extension opposed, that he will be on extension because, due to my own set of health issues (my pacemaker implant) , I am no longer able to work 105 hours per week.  Couple that with the additional reporting requirements and we have the perfect storm for my practice.  After I explained the facts, including that I do not even look at extended returns until late June at the earliest, he said, "whenever you get to it.  I want you to be around in the future to do my returns" (a corp, a mmllc, and his personal and adding additional entities every couple of years now).  I truly have purposed that those that object to being extended simply have no concern for me and they are welcome to take their business elsewhere.  I suspect there will be very few that cut and run when the facts are laid out. I am at 72 returns that are being extended that in past years I would have worked to get done.  So far, the one I mentioned is the only one that objected to being extended. 

And I disagree, there is rest for the weary.  "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened.  And I will give you rest."

Edited by rfassett
  • Like 6

I am hoping to get to church for the Maundy Thursday service tonight, but I may or may not at least partially because my nephew is coming from NC to spend a few days with me in VA.  Full day of appointments tomorrow, but I WILL be in church on Sunday morning.  I probably won't get up and go to the sunrise service, though, unless my son decides to come in this weekend and he wants to go.  Then I am having lunch with a dear friend and her family for Easter, and I may or may not work after that.  But Monday will be back in full swing.  However, I am going to take to heart what you said about extensions.  I have a feeling there will be more extensions this year than ever before.

• Like 3

Go White!  Last game I had it on my horizontal monitor while prepping returns on my two vertical monitors.  And, I've been able to schedule eating and folding laundry while watching the earlier games.  Telephone calls or the need to really concentrate have had me missing parts, but have to watch my Spartans!

• Like 2

Working all except:

Friday evening dinner with friends and oldest daughter coming home from college for Easter.

Saturday evening dying eggs and late dinner with immediate family.

Sunday Church, Easter Bunny Falderal (youngest is 9), brunch, and back to work.

Have to do 9 per day.

• Like 1

closed Good Friday 12-3 and was office admin b-day so we ordered in and had cheesecake for her birthday - I went to church, they kept working..

worked til 3 am Sat, got up Sat, but wouldn't answer the phones until hubby came in from barn - he has about 210 lambs so he isn't much help - does some e-filing and phone answering for me. Gave everyone (2) off Saturday for Easter!

listened to the Badger game - go Badgers!! on the computer while working Sat night, Had about 100 texts as "boys" said they were going to Indy for the game!!

bed again at 3 and up at 7:30 for church and brunch with parents and some family. Napped and still at it.  

Back to the regular schedule Monday.

Still trying to get about a 100 or more done by the 15th and convince the others they are extensions! Can't work like I used to and stay awake.

So sorry to hear of your health issues. Get plenty of rest and take care of your selves!! Hubby harps all the time! Are any of my clients or staff going to push me around in a wheelchair in 5-10 years?

• Like 3

Still at the beach. Returning to the office mid-day on Tuedsay to complete a few that I left in various stages of completion, finish up some extensions, and then wrap everything up by the 14th. There will be a few long days yet to come, but manageable. This "easing into retirement" glide path is looking pretty good. A couple of years or so of of this should work out nicely.

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 4