ATX Community

Holidays

Christian

Here's wishing all members of this forum a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year. Next year will be my 34th year as a practitioner. I enjoy the work but realize that not so far down the road I will have to pack it in. It's great to know that we have this forum as an additional information source and can enjoy the friendship of it's members. 

• Like 10

My first season was in 1979, but I was still an intern in college. We did them by hand first in pencil and then finalized them after they were reviewed. I don't miss doing them by hand, but I do miss being able to rattle  numbers off of the top of my head, because the rules were easier and didn't change constantly. I used to be able to memorize almost everything, but now I have to look everything up.

• Like 7

I actually started in about 1973.  However, the use of pencil and paper as well as the unavailability of forms, greatly limited production.  I slowly evolved over the years to the purchase of a copy machine (such bliss) to the purchase of my first computer.  In the course of working for another accountant, my own practice was beginning to grow.  I was able to maintain a part-time Dental Receptionist job for 20 years because they were willing to work around my tax schedule.  It finally became a case of give it up or give it your all.  Well, I am still here in a new office addition.  You really have to wonder when enough is too much.  I hope I have the sense to know when it is time.

Happiest and Healthiest of Holidays to all of you and Merry Christmas!

• Like 5

I was working for H&R Block in 1972 but only checking returns and making copies.  Of course, my mother owned the business and I was in Junior High School (we still had a junior high then instead of a middle school.)  But i have not worked continuously in the business.  The first returns that I did were pencil and paper.  Very thin paper with a special pencil because the copier was ammonia based and used special paper.

• Like 5

Old-timer here, too (nice to know I've got company). Started nights for dad-'68; 1970-began half-days (employer ok/Jan-Apr) plus nights 'til 1-2 A.M.; full-time self-employed 1980 and later.  

Agree with Nebraska about change; kept waiting for it to finally let up, but (as you know) it just intensified and now there's credits for everything except alms for sots (probably next). We typed returns but I was a lousy typist and carbon paper mistake corrections were awful, so I do like computers, EF, and laser printers.  Would quit except then (money aside)...do what?

• Like 2

I plan on working until 70 - next March - and beyond.  I still mostly enjoy using the brain cells I have left and some of my clients have declared that I cannot retire until they die.  That won't happen for some of them but sadly has already happened for a few.

I did spin off my businesses when my other CPA retired 4 years ago, though.  No more payroll or monthly or quarterly reports to do.  I didn't want to hire another and chose not to do it myself so my practice is quite manageable now.  For AICPA and state society purposes, I am retired as I work primarily during tax season.

You are correct, though, that we do need some younger folks here.  If this forum disappeared, I would have to retire because this is my 'firm.'  You are my colleagues and research fellows.  And friends...

• Like 6

I'm "only" 56.   Does that qualify as younger folks?  I started doing this at 14.  Took sometime off for college and a short career in banking/trust.  Left banking when my job was consolidated to another city I did not want to live in.  Stayed home with my son for  a few years.  Now I've been back since about 1997. 

• Like 5

With Gail in Virginia as I am "only" 57.  However, about a year and a half ago I hired an old classmate of my older daughter's and am training him to eventually take over the business.  I figure in 6 - 8 years he will be ready for most of it and I can come in once or twice a week to consult on the oddball items.

• Like 5

I'm thinking of winding it all down by 70 (that will be in Feb 2018)

And I'd say I'm already on a glide path - not accepting new clients and shooing a few out the door already.

Just not sure if I'll actually work the 2018 tax season, but it's too early for that decision.

Hope everyone has a safe New Years Eve and a prosperous New Year.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I'm "only" 56.   Does that qualify as younger folks?  I started doing this at 14.  Took sometime off for college and a short career in banking/trust.  Left banking when my job was consolidated to another city I did not want to live in.  Stayed home with my son for  a few years.  Now I've been back since about 1997. 

You are well qualified in whichever category you want to put yourself.  You are experienced and knowledgeable as anyone on this board.:)

• Like 3

And Happy Holidays to all.  I've really  enjoyed this forum for all the stress relief, humor, excellent advise and help. 

The 2016 tax season will be my last.  I started doing my internship at a CPA firm right after college in 1970.  I getting too slow both mentally and physically.  It's time to be put out to pasture.

Terry

• Like 4

I'm 76 and know the pasture awaits, but ah'd druther trudge on in my rut until either it or I collapse, whichever comes first.  To offer some perspective on age; when my day job folded in the eighties, tax season was over, I had few write-up clients, and desktop computers were being introduced.  I answered a software company's ad for commission-only salesmen (some good advice: NEVER do that) and after a dozen failed sales attempts, I called on an out-of-town independent insurance agency.

At the time I was forty-something and a snowy-haired gentlemen sat down with me, relaxed while listening courteously and attentively to my entire amateurish spiel; pausing only to light a pipe and pluck occasionally at his flag-emblazoned suspenders.  He summed up the situation thus: "Well sonny; I'm 95. I own this place. My wife, Margaret there (pointed to a nice lady at her Underwood who looked up, nodded, and wiggled her fingers at me) is my secretary.  She's 90.  We've been selling insurance here for 60 years without a computer. Now, I know they're the GOING THING, but ..... I'm NOT GOING with them! But I do appreciate you coming by to explain everything to me. Goodbye and good luck to you."   

:) And so ended my sales career; it's been taxes ever since and hopefully will be for a good while yet .....

• Like 8

If you are healthy, age is a number and/or a state of mind.  Up until now, my husband and I have both been healthy and considered ourselves to be very fortunate.  That has not been true this past year and someone has tried to slow us down a bit.  Except for fatigue, I am pretty much over the hump for now.  IMO, nothing will keep your brain sharper; longer; than trying to interpret the tax law.  Other than having to work medical appointments into my tax schedule, I feel that I am ready to keep on keeping on.  In my heart, I am still the young wife and mother with two small children who was looking for a way to supplement our income.  I was fortunate to find my niche and it has served me well.  I still find tax preparation to be challenging and fulfilling.  I will continue as long as my body and mind allow me to.

• Like 6