ATX Community

NT-Sticky Notes on Screen

JohnH

I was having some work done on my computer by AVG today, and I discovered something I didn't know existed.  (I'm running Windows 7 on this computer.)  The technician kept putting an electronic sticky note on the screen as he was working & making notes on it.  It looked just like a regular paper sticky note.  Then he would close the sticky note when he finished that task.  When I asked about it, he showed me where it is in "Programs" and he said it is a standard feature.

Maybe I'm just the last one to the party, but I never knew this existed. I've been playing around with it and so far I've been able to open the sticky note in every program I run on this computer. Does anyone else use this very much?

• Like 2

John, the notes aren't within the program. The sticky note might be on top while the program is open, close the program and the note is still there on the desktop.  When other programs are running, clicking the sticky note icon on the taskbar will toggle it to the top, clicking the icon again will hide it.  Iirc, they remain on the desktop after shutdown and restart; the user must delete them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Here is another person without a clue.  What is this called?  Where is it?  Exactly what is the name?  I couldn't find anything like this.  I have Win 7 Pro.

I never heard of it either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

I was having some work done on my computer by AVG today, and I discovered something I didn't know existed.  (I'm running Windows 7 on this computer.)  The technician kept putting an electronic sticky note on the screen as he was working & making notes on it.  It looked just like a regular paper sticky note.  Then he would close the sticky note when he finished that task.  When I asked about it, he showed me where it is in "Programs" and he said it is a standard feature.

Maybe I'm just the last one to the party, but I never knew this existed. I've been playing around with it and so far I've been able to open the sticky note in every program I run on this computer. Does anyone else use this very much?

Where is that in Programs, John.  I used to use if and forgot how to find it.  The path listed above does not work for me.

It's in the Accessories. 

25 minutes ago, MAMalody said:

Where is that in Programs, John.  I used to use if and forgot how to find it.  The path listed above does not work for me.

From the Start Menu, click on All Programs and then Accessories.

11 hours ago, jklcpa said:

It's in the Accessories. 

From the Start Menu, click on All Programs and then Accessories.

I also noticed that it's necessary to scroll down a ways in the "All Program" list before seeing "Accessories". Even though it begins with "A", it isn't at the top of the list. I think that's because regularly-used individual programs are at the top, then you need to scroll down to start looking at folders. The "Sticky Notes" program is just one of many application inside the "Applications" folder.

On mine, the folders are after the individual programs, but Accessories is almost at the top of the folders.  I hadn't kept it open for awhile, so did a Search for Sticky Notes and clicked on it when it showed up in the results.  Handy little program.  Thank you, John, for the reminder.

Other than changing the colors, there is some limited customizing that is available.  The font can't be changed, but text can be formatted by selecting the text to format and then using the Ctrl-I, Ctrl-B, and Ctrl-U for italics, bold and underlining.  Also, the size of the note can be made bigger by pointing at a vertical or horizontal edge and dragging it, just like resizing any other window that is open.

I've used this in my cell phone - never on my actual computer.

Since I daily produce a sticky note list of things-to-do and it's usually stuck to the bottom of my monitor, this is a far better option and cleaner.

I with they had a STRIKE THROUGH feature so I could mark the item off - oh the joy of completing a task.