ATX Community

Crappiest Paper Clips - NT

jasdlm

I am telling you, people consistently give me the crappiest, rustiest, oldest paper clips they can find, which they then use to clip together documents that don't belong together.  Where are they getting these nasty things?!?  They leave rust on the documents!  They have to be older than me.

And . . . it's amazing the smells that paper carries.  I open an envelope full of 'bits', and there's a giant whiff of anything from perfume to cigarette smoke to pickles.  Eeegads.  People must try really hard to make these packages this 'special' for me.

• Like 11

The smells are what bother me more, especially the papers from heavy smokers. That gross smell gets on my hands too. 

Years ago, the firm I worked for had a fish market as a client, and the smell on those papers was nauseating and probably the worst I've ever experienced.  

• Like 9

I have a client who used to bring me all her documents in one of those tins they use to sell Dutch butter cookies.  *Everything* smelled like butter cookies - but there were no cookies!  So I told her she had to start leaving some cookies in the tin - or bring stuff in a folder.  Sure 'nuff - folder.  Piffle.  I was really hoping for the cookies.  In fact, maybe I'll have a piece of shortbread now.

• Like 9

On a brighter side, I have an older client whose tyvex envelope upon opening gives off a strong scent of Nina Ricci or maybe it's Chantilly (I worked in a drugstore during college so I know these things).  Always makes me smile, I actually know it's hers before opening.

But the smelly, stinky, stained documents with their last meal on them, I'm thinking of going to those nitrile gloves, except that hearing the snap of the glove upon putting it on gives me frightening flashbacks of the doctor's office.   

• Like 7

Well, you've all got better stories than me.  Only one I can think of is my beauty shop operator client who clips all her papers together with hair clips.

No, wait.  I remember receiving a large box of all someone's papers -- it's probably been 25 years ago, but in the bottom was a half-eaten sandwich. Thankfully, it had mummified.

• Like 6

My hubby got all excited when a large Lord & Taylor box arrived for me, thinking a grateful client had sent a gift.  I took one look at the return address and knew it was just a tardy client sending all her tax documents, plus every other piece of paper she had, for a couple of years.  What a letdown.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

Well, you've all got better stories than me.  Only one I can think of is my beauty shop operator client who clips all her papers together with hair clips.

No, wait.  I remember receiving a large box of all someone's papers -- it's probably been 25 years ago, but in the bottom was a half-eaten sandwich. Thankfully, it had mummified.

Sounds like the Garrison Kiellor story about the time Ole visited the big city for the first time.  A panhandler walked up to him and asked "How about giving me a dollar for a sandwich?"  Ole replied, "Well OK, but first I need to see the sandwich."

• Like 6

Client came in to drop off tax information last week.  We're sitting together in the conference room going over information.  I pull of the 3rd nasty paper clip in a row, and I look her in the eye and say 'Client, these paper clips are older than I am, and I'm going to throw them away now'.  Client says 'That's probably a good idea.  I got them out of my husband's desk (deceased for some time).  He never threw anything away.'

What are those things even made of?  They feel so awful to the touch!

• Like 2