ATX Community

N/T Life is too short :(

jklcpa

Never take for granted the family, friends, and the gifts that come your way.  Enjoy them, tell people you love them and that you care. Hug if you like hugging. Be happy and enjoy every day!

Today has not been a good one here. First call of the day was from the daughter of an elderly client/friend of many years who told me that mom fell and has a fractured pelvis. She's in the hospital, headed for rehab soon, and she will be ok.

Fast foward to the latest call from the husband of a younger couple whose wife had recently been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. She was scheduled for a bone marrow transplant tomorrow, but she passed away this morning at the age of 39.  :(  That one brought tears to my eyes as I listened to husband's shaking speech as he tried to tell me and ask some questions.

Now I have to regain my composure and get the itty bitty bit of momentum going again. 

• Sad 7

It is these things that can suck the life right out of tax season.  It is because we care so much for our clients.  I am often told that I know more about a client's life than even the client's doctor.  Why?  Because the client will tell me all about his/her medical issues but would never dream about telling the doctor all about his/her financial issues.  Don't take that relationship lightly.  But when you take that advice, plan on days like the one Judy is having today.  Know that you can and do make a difference in your client's life.

Judy - here is a hug from northwest PA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh, Judy, I am SO sorry to hear your sad news!  I'm glad the older woman is going to be OK - but that is so terribly sad about the 39-year-old.

We just lost a friend here, about a week ago.  Four years younger than I am - died suddenly in his sleep.  Apparently there is a family history of "widow-maker" heart attacks in men in their 50's, but this was an absolute shock.  

Yes, tell EVERYONE you love them.  Hug them until they squirm to be let go.  As uncertain as this life can be, you then at least have the consolation that they knew they were loved by you, without question.

By the way - I love ALL of you, my friends here at the ATX Community.  Consider yourselves hugged.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So sorry Judy, you have so many good memories of friends and clients that when something like this happens it feels as bad as a family member.  Being in this business a long time we hear of such heartbreaking stories.  Like Catherine said, they tell us everything.  We always have time for them and I think that is what they pick up on, we are more than their tax guy/gal, we're their trusted friend.

• Like 5

I am so sorry, Judy.  This has been a tough season for me so far also, so you have my deepest sympathy.  I am glad that I read this near the end of the day, so I can shed a tear for you and for the family of that young woman and hopefully not get caught by a client.  We do get attached to our clients, or at least I do, and this is the hard way to lose them.  And Catherine - love you back, and all my other friends in this community! 

• Like 4

I'm so sorry, Judy! I have lost several clients in the last few years and there will be more soon. I've had a lot of clients asking me how much longer I intend to work. I asked the last one if I looked really old or stressed and he just said that since he is in his late 70's and has known me for over 35 years that he was worried about finding someone new. I told him that I intend to work at least another 10 years until 70 as long as nothing else takes me out first or I win the lottery.  I really hate to lose my older clients, because they have been so nice to me and really are like family. Replacing them with younger ones is just not the same.

• Like 3

Last summer my dog died, my aunt died, my childhood friend died, my mentor shot and killed herself.  These things all happened within a 10 day period.  Then, my dad died unexpectedly in his sleep in January.  I'm completely rethinking life's priorities.  

• Sad 5

after two angry /"ungrateful" clients yesterday, my husband reminded me I could pick and chose - that is why I am in business for myself.. I can be sweet and forget to mail /email them their organizer  :)

or if I do not value my time and talents - how can I expect them to?

• Like 6