ATX Community

I HAVE LOST IT!!!!!

Silverbelle

I don't know how much more I can take before I tell some unsuspecting person off! I went back to work fulltime on Jan 2, because I could never get any medical insurance. So, last year I took on several new clients because I thought I was going to be in business on my own. Now I can't take any vacation days from my "real" job because I haven't been there six months yet. I try to give everyone a good rate and personal attention, but I am about to decide it will cost more in the looney bin than I am making doing taxes. Apparently, all of my clients think I just sit by the phone all day waiting for them to call and ask some stupid question. If they would take the time to read the letter they are provided with they could answer most of them by themselves. And another thing--I don't care about the Stimulus payment right now--I tell them to go to IRS.Gov and read it for themselves. I don't have time to talk to them on the phone. And then to top it off, I just got a call from one of my clients--he received a notice a couple of weeks ago, but didn't bother with reading it until today, and it's supposed to be replied to by tomorrow--so when can he drop it off--when I told him how busy I was and how that was pretty much impossible at the moment, he had the nerve to laugh and say he'd be by my tax office about 5:30!

Okay--I just needed to vent to people who would understand--and by the way, how can people complicate their tax situations so much?--doesn't anybody have a normal return anymore??????

Thanks for letting me blow off steam--

Silverbelle

Many of us hear you and feel quite the same. Not that it is really any comfort, I know. I acquired a new client that I think I just might fire before I even do anything. He brought a CRUT, having moved from another state, and it has been prepared incorrectly and distributions reported on their personal return incorrectly for, oh, about 12 years. He didn't want to hear that, of course, because, "George is so meticulous, he always does everything so carefully." If I hear that one more time...

I have spoken with George who acknowledged to me that he really didn't know that much about CRUTs and did the best he could. I could go on, but you understand.

Is it time to retire?

This won't help you much right not, but one thing you can do going forward to relieve some of the stress from phone calls is to get the clients' email addresses and then send them an email. People are often too lazy to type your email address, but if they can capture it from an email you send them they will do it. Once they have your email address in their address book they will be much more likely to email questions to you, which you can answer at your convienience.

Not all clients will do follow this practice, but many of them will automatically fall into the habit once they have your email address handy. I can guarantee enough of them will do so that you'll wonder why you didn't start this years ago. This recommendation even applies for older clients - for the most part only the ones over 75 won't have some familiarity with email (unless you live in an area that's still poorly served with internet connectivity).

Incidentally, it's much more client-freindly to tell them you'll email them the stimulus payment link to the IRS web site than to just tell them to go look it up, IMHO. http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/newsroom/articl...=177937,00.html

I typically get the email address at the first contact and then send them a question asking for clarification of something on the return. I also email a single-page checklist to my clients with my newsletter at the beginning of each year (followed up by the same info via snail mail).

I don't know how much more I can take before I tell some unsuspecting person off! I went back to work fulltime on Jan 2, because I could never get any medical insurance. So, last year I took on several new clients because I thought I was going to be in business on my own. Now I can't take any vacation days from my "real" job because I haven't been there six months yet. I try to give everyone a good rate and personal attention, but I am about to decide it will cost more in the looney bin than I am making doing taxes. Apparently, all of my clients think I just sit by the phone all day waiting for them to call and ask some stupid question. If they would take the time to read the letter they are provided with they could answer most of them by themselves. And another thing--I don't care about the Stimulus payment right now--I tell them to go to IRS.Gov and read it for themselves. I don't have time to talk to them on the phone. And then to top it off, I just got a call from one of my clients--he received a notice a couple of weeks ago, but didn't bother with reading it until today, and it's supposed to be replied to by tomorrow--so when can he drop it off--when I told him how busy I was and how that was pretty much impossible at the moment, he had the nerve to laugh and say he'd be by my tax office about 5:30!

Okay--I just needed to vent to people who would understand--and by the way, how can people complicate their tax situations so much?--doesn't anybody have a normal return anymore??????

Thanks for letting me blow off steam--

Silverbelle

I'll rub your back if you'll rub mine.

We are all getting where you are Silverbell.

Frustration #1 Client that swears his mail box was vandalized, so he never got the HOH questionaire from CA. But he got the letter that they are disallowing filing status. No problem, get me you kids school records and the birth certificate and doctor records for your new baby. OH - well we used the girlfriend's address to get the daughter into a better school, and the baby is on government assistance, so I don't have doctor records showing she lives with me. What the heck am I supposed to do now?

#2 Client is finalizing an audit. IRS agent has sent 3 closing letters because she keeps reviewing the workpapers and finding something else. The last one does not change the tax at all, but the agent wants another agreement. The client freaks out again, like I can make the IRS hire competent auditors. Yet, the client still has not signed the paperwork so we can wrap it up.

#3 Client being audited for a early withdrawal penalty. Tax return indicated exception for being disabled. The letter comes, we submit the POA and attach the letter (already in the file) from the judge who determined client was permanantly disabled and send in the response. Client got the letter (I did not - I guess they don't like to send letters to the representative) and it is a Notice of Deficiency. No mention that they recieved our reply (yes I have the return reciept stamped by KC office), just a 90 day letter. Client thinks I screwed up because they did not just drop the case after my brilliant letter.

#4 My most anal client - He brings in a 2" 3ring binder with tabs for each section and the completed tax return on top. Every item of income and expense is summarized with supporting documentation. You get the idea. I missed the penalty in CA for underpayment of estimated taxes. I did not click the box to use the short form and the amount did not transfer to his return. He owes an additional $27. He called and let me know that I messed up. I triple checked that return and still missed it.

All this hits my desk on Monday. Welcome to the last week of tax season.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Quoting Clint Eastwood..."A MAN'S GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS"

Maybe you bit off more than you can chew.

Philosophical Booger

Yes, we all should know our limitations, but unfortunately we don't find out what they are until the second week in April. I fired 3 clients this AM; 2 because they don't want to pay (have no money) and the 3rd is the son and brother that I have not even started on. Told Mom to send son to pick up all of the stuff. Seems like every other return I am filing these days is an extension, including my own. I hear Silverbelle loud and clear.

Extensions are the way to control your work flow (and your cash flow). If they don't have the money, file an extension and give them a chance to come back when they can produce the cash. Laywers do it with continuances all the time, and it works great for them.

Yes, we all should know our limitations, but unfortunately we don't find out what they are until the second week in April. I fired 3 clients this AM; 2 because they don't want to pay (have no money) and the 3rd is the son and brother that I have not even started on. Told Mom to send son to pick up all of the stuff. Seems like every other return I am filing these days is an extension, including my own. I hear Silverbelle loud and clear.

interesting family!

I'm SO glad to know I'm a professional, same as you! I sincerely understand how you all are feeling and doing. I fired a long-time client in Feb.; have progressively gotten rid of flakes the past few years (helped my anxiety attacks). One client was playing with Turbo Tax...and there in the docs he sent me was a completed return. It had due...I, professionally, had refund. A client, today at 6:30 am, called, whining because she owed. Requested I email a .pdf. She called, afterwards, and whined for 30 min...til I told her I had to get back to work. She's making over $100 thou a year, not having enough taxes taken out...and wants me to come up with a miracle so she won't owe tax. I work out of my home office...thank goodness no more calls of whining tonight. And the beat goes on...

Too many questions about the eco stimulus pkg! Great way to encourage more people into the system, huh? I'm tired of answering the question, "What does RDP mean?" on Calif. returns. Silverbelle, if there's anything I can do to help you out, email <[email protected]>

Yes it is funny how different we all operate. Speaking of operating, professionalism, and the like, how would you feel if you were about to have surgery and your doctor walked into the room bleary eyed and complaining about the other patients he needed to cut on today because he needs to get all his 25 surgeries done by next Tuesday? Plus he's been working around the clock for the past 3 days because everybody waited until the last minute to get their tumor diagnosed.

I know what we do isn't brain surgery, but it also doesn't need to be done under ridiculous pressure. There's this mentality of doing it at the last minute and the culture surrounding it that seems to energize some clients and tax preparers, but I think it's risky behavior or everybody's part.

Knowing what I know about tax preparation, if I walked into a tax office at this late date with anything other than a basic return and the preparer didn't tell me we need an extension, I'd walk right back out.

It is funny how different we all are....but I think it also has to do with the size of our practice, the difficulty of the returns, and what percentage of our clients are idiots.

I hopefully will have no extensions. I only have 2 more to come in -- and if they aren't here by Friday, they are an automatic extension even though I probably will have them done sometime next week. I only work 40 hours/5 days a week and take 3-4 weeks of vacation a year.

The reason I went on my own was to reduce my stress levels. At age 46, my mother passed away at age 66. I decided I didn't want to spend the next 20 years working my butt off for someone else only to wish I had "lived" a little.

I only accept prospective new clients by referral from existing clients and if I don't like what I see on their tax returns or bookkeeping, I refer them to someone else. I actually had a prospective client tell me that they couldn't transfer the Corporate Return to me (but wanted me to do the bookkeeping) because there were some things on the return that "you might not understand in reference to stockholder loans and income". He didn't make the cut to be my client. I have fired 4 clients in 4 years -- 2 because the proceeded to tell ME how I should be running my business and the other 2 because they were similar to diligentbiz's client.....you advise them to pay in estimates and when they don't, they owe and GOD FORBID, they end up with a penalty letter from IRS because they refuse to pay the penalty on the return. Those 4 are now someone else's April 15th headache.

I won't get rich operating this way -- but at least I will have LIVED a little and hopefully will have lived a little longer.

This string is very interesting to me on several levels. Another point that intrigues me is the one just mentioned - the client who complains about the penalties when it's their fault. I hear lots of preparers get all worked up over this issue, yet when it's the client's fault there really shouldn't be a problem. It's all in how it's explained to the client, IMO.

If they were given the estimates and they didn't pay, then they owe the penalty. End of discussion. If the client can't understand that logic, they're free to go elsewhere. Go through this exercise once with a client and the problem will resolve itself. Either they will leave (you won't have to fire them), they will start paying estimates on time, or they will continue to absorb penalties each year. I've experienced and continue to experience all 3 scenarios. I think the key is to separate the client's complaints about the system from possible complaints about me - it's part of my job to make that distinction for them. Some of my chronic compaliners are also excellent paying clients (see below)

On the other hand, if they just want to spend some time griping and moaning about it, I'll be glad to commiserate with them as long as they undersand we're doing it on the clock. I have a few complaints of my own about the government and I don't mind sharing them with the client, especially if they're paying me to converse with them. In the final analysis, this tax preparation business isn't really about liking or not liking how someone else manages their money, personal affairs, or emotions - it's about billable time. Distill it down to that fact and it becomes much easier to handle lots of seemingly problematic situations.

Extensions? Don't do 'em. Won't do 'em. Everyone knows when their taxes are due. Clients come into my office on April 14th, laughing, telling me they know they waited but can I get them done for them anyway. If I have the time, I will. I WILL NOT file an extension for them and do it later. My tax season ends on April 15th. If I don't have the time, I tell them they will have to go somewhere else. End of story. I have another job that takes up a lot of my time. I don't have time for procrastinators. Matter of fact, on April 15th, I have election training that I HAVE to go to (changes for the upcoming August Primary and November General Elections) from 9-12. I am skipping the afternoon session. Then I have a Zoning Board of Appeals meeting at 6:00, then our regular Township Board meeting at 7:30 and I'm preparing for a School election that is this May 6th also. I get 20-30 AV applications for ballots in every day that I have to process. Am I cranky right now? YES. Will I do extensions? NO. Now do I have to get back to work? Unfortunately YES.

I hate extensions too. I worked for a firm where > 1/2 the returns were extended. We were a very busy office during the off season anyway & we all ended up working tax season hrs from Jan - Oct to get it all done. I worked that way for almost 15 years & won't/can't work that way any more.

I have one extension. The return is complete, but needed the extension because the guy is in the middle of a 1031 exchange. The extension was needed to allow him the full 180 days for replacement of the properties. Without the extension, the 180 would have been cut short.

I have other nice accounting work in the summer & fall, but at a more relaxed pace.

I worked for a chain that discouraged extensions, even though I was in a premium office open year round. So, unfortunately, my clients have come to feel they can NOT extend. Now that I'm on my own, I would prefer to spread them out throughout the year. Especially THIS year. With Congress voting new tax laws in December for the second year in a row, and the IRS not accepting AMT-related forms until 11 February, and my having a week of three funerals including one out of state at the end of February followed by a sinus infection, and learning new software...well, I'm trying hard to explain extensions to many more clients than ever before -- and, hopefully, than ever again. This year I had less than two months to do all the work I usually do in 3 1/2 months. I'm trying not to be too exhausted to function well, but that means many are going on extension. I didn't help myself by not making a software decision until December, but I'd thought I was going to use ATX which I already knew; then the sudden death of their board make me take a closer look at their weak diagnostics and other issues that were going to have a higher priority on my own than they had when part of a chain preparing a few business returns. I know this is just temporary, and that I'll be much higher on the learning curve next tax season. But, have you noticed that no one's returns get simpler over time; everyone's tax life becomes more complex? So, it's hard just to keep up with the same ones without putting in more research time each year. Oh well, I lost a few but am meeting my financial goals. Back to work.