ATX Community

Does anyone use a laptop as their work computer?

Sadly, I just had a knee scope for a "little" arthritis and torn meniscus that was not as successful as the surgeon hoped due to lots of arthritis that did not show on the MRI. Sitting at my desk with ice and leg elevated is basically torture, but I think that if I get a wireless keyboard and not use the keyboard drawer that I may be able to tough it out until May. I do have a call this afternoon with an IT company and my other option is to transfer it all to a laptop and use an additional monitor. I don't know if this is a great option or not. I called ATX and they told me that if I use a VPN and remote in, that it could easily affect ATX and I could lose data. 

Do any of you use a larger laptop to work? Mostly I use QuickBooks, ATX, Medlin and CFS Workshop for work programs. 

I was not planning on doing any of this until the end of the year before I retire, but my husband also had his first COPD flare up last week and was in the hospital for 3 days. I worry that this may not be the last one so I can't wait to retire and move where our son is. He, my DIL, 2 dogs and their cat all packed up and drove back the same day that the rescue squad picked him up from the pulmonologist's office last week. I'm really hoping that I can drive soon.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

Bonnie

I have a "travelling" laptop that I sometimes take to client homes.   But I never e-file from it.   I do the return, export it, import it to the main office computer and efile from that machine.   I carry a small printer and a large monitor with me when I take it on the road.  I don't have a lot of issues, but I miss the second large monitor, especially if I am working off of spread sheets while entering the return.   My laptop is 17" so that helps some.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

Oh - sorry to hear this Bonnie.  Laptops stink. And bad knees stink more.  I have a little Dell that does okay with QB and ATX on it.  I only have the 2 years of ATX on it.  And QB is always used with a thumb drive so I'm not using up space on the laptop.  I don't use it for anything else.  It is definitely worth the extra few bucks to get a keypad - make sure you have USB ports.  My daughter got a new Mac and no USB ports.  Which, btw, if you aren't used to Mac, don't get a Mac.  It's also worth it to get a bigger one so the screen is bigger.  

I hope everything works out for you

• Like 3

Surface pro 8 is my main. When static, I plug it into a big monitor. When mobile, it works fine too. Prob swapping to surface studio when W12 hits. A slightly bigger display when mobile. 

I don’t like tablets unless they are convertible - sans keyboard - as they take up too much space on my desk. I like one specific keyboard layout, not what they use on a laptop. The other brand machines seem less sturdy and the built into surface is a plus. If you get a surface pro you get the good pro security without having to upgrade windows. 

• Like 2

Move to a laptop with a docking station, two monitors and wireless keyboard and mouse. (this is something for everybody to consider a few years prior to retirement, so you do it on your own time when it is time for the last computer purchase).  When are in the office, you dock your laptop and use the wireless keyboard for extra flexibility. When you are out of the office, you can carry your laptop and connect to your cell's hotspot features to efile. 

The only problem I have noticed with this set up is that my computer doesn't list my cell as an option for internet access. Most of the time, I have to turn off and on wireless on my laptop and I also turn off and on my hotspot feature on my phone. 

Another disadvantage with this is the fact that you might lose your laptop and then it will be a bad time to retire but an option.

• Like 1

I use a 17" Acer laptop with the pointer turned off and use the keyboard.  This is not my main computer, BUT, could be.  Any bookwork or returns prepared on the laptop are exported to a jump drive and imported into my desktop for revue and filing.  Even with my diagnosis of Macular Degeneration; I don't, as yet, have a problem with the 17" screen and it is running Windows 11.  I could add another monitor if I had the room.  I also would need to get a wireless printer, but there is no need at this point.  Each computer in my office has its own printer at the moment.  Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.  Generally, I believe that if I want to do something, such as tax prep, I will find a way to do it.  So far, I haven't let age or left-handedness hold me back.🍀

• Like 3

I've been using laptops for 20 years. In the office my laptop is set up as if I had a desktop computer with 2 external monitors, wireless keyboard and mouse. When I take the laptop with me I can run my office completely and client's have no idea. This past summer we took a vacation to Normandy France and Paris - took my laptop and could answer client questions each day. After dinner I'd get online for 20-30 minutes and get everything caught up so I didn't have a pile on my desk.

• Like 4

I know some people (not many) who are running their desktop from a tablet.  Either use wireless hardware or get a USB splitter that will accommodate several plugins.  Hence, the value of using a Surface, as Margaret said.  You can do as little or as much as you want.  Pretty much any scenario is possible.

My problem is that when we added on my office addition, we should have gone BIGGER.  My assistant brought this home when she mentioned the other day that she wished she had more room on her desk.  

• Like 1

For surface, depending on the model, something like the image is handy to add other items.  I use BT for keyboard and mouse wheel. Plugged into the adapter are HDMI monitor, SD card (for a local backup), ethernet, label printer, USB stick (second local backup),  USB drive (third local backup), and when needed, a code signing dongle (USB).  This way, I can add more than typical, and only have to plug in one item when I grab the surface "to go".

I keep a second power adapter in our motorhome, and a third in my suitcase. I will often take the periphal adapter with me, as it also has two USB C ports, in case we don't have enough to charge phones where we are at. The surface keyboard stays behind the device (on my desk).  I also have an HDMI cable with me when er are away, so I can plug it into whatever monitor is available.  I will also bring my main keyboard and mouse wheel with me.  The mouse wheel means I do not need any space for it as it can sit on my knee, on a couch/chair arm, anywhere I can reach, even if not smooth and flat. Much of the time I "write" via voice, so a keyboard can be moot too.

My prior surface (6 I think) had an SD slot, the current ones do not.

I also have a single phone with ATT and Verizon on it, which can switch real time to the best connection, and we bring along a starlink when not on a hotel trip.  Handy at home too as I can run it off batts, generator, or from EV power. I would never go back to a desktop, worrying about a UPS to prevent loss from power outages and such.  The surface also automatically limits charge to 80% when connected to power long term, which is less bad for the batt - and an easy click to make it charge to 100% when desired.

Now, if the surface was water resistant, that would be a game changer, since hot tub breaks I would not have to "work" via phone/splashtop!

I have played with huge monitors, dual monitors, curved monitors. I prefer a single flat 27 diagonal gaming monitor, landscape. I want something I can see with just eye movement.  Some of the large ones, maybe most, the resolution is too high, making things look too small unless one artificially reduces res or increases magnification/font size.  Old eye syndrome...

Not that I know it all or have the perfect, it just works for me.

IMG_1699.jpg

• Like 4

My office, 15 preparers, only use laptops with docking stations.  We all have 2-4 screens on the dock along with label printers, quality speakers and other assorted peripherals.

Don't skimp on quality, we use Lenovo's only.  i have over 12 tax years and every QB program from 2016 on.  Everything gets backed up or stored on a server but my hard drive has about 300 returns and their last 8 years of returns and data on my hard drive.  That way i have anything I could need while out in the field.

• Like 3

With the likely nest version of Windows this fall, I started looking.  I always get a new box with the new Windows, avoids update issues, and is a good minimum time to get a fresh box.  What I want is the new surface studio because it is the most powerful, bigger screen than the other models, and the kbd folds out of the way, but the price has me pausing.  I'll likely try a surface laptop this time, and live with not being able to fold or remove the kbd, as the specs are good, and the screen is a little bigger than the surface pro.  Old eyes are more of a "focus" these days...

• Like 3

That's the thing with the surface line (at least the ones I have).  They have the built in protection, usually reserved for the pro editions of Windows, including boot protection.  Thus, they are likely the safest consumer grade machine one can get. I have zero fear of my devise leaving my control.  Without my really long key, or getting past the login steps, it would take millions to get in and de-scramble.  yes, the drive is always scrambled and anything in memory is also protected. In my feeble mind, anyone not using the same hardware and software security is negligent, and not doing what anyone can do to protect data.  I have no idea if other brands have the same security, likely so, as long as you upgrade to the pro edition of windows AND enable all the security features (they are not all on by default).

15 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Have any of you, or any of your staff, had a laptop stolen or lost out in the field or at the office?

No. The laptop is encrypted so data on it would be worthless to whoever stole it. (unless they figured out my password) Any desktop could be stolen out of an office just as easily. If I'm gone for a few days, I'll lock my laptop in my desk.

• Like 1

Each of my active computers has two external backup hard drives, used alternately, stored at a different location.  My password books are also off site.  We try as hard as we can to protect our information.  No, have never had anything stolen as of yet.  My worst catastrophe to date was a battery blowup on a laptop and to this day that laptop is still working.  I gave it to my IT man who pried the battery out of the half melted machine and he still has it running.

On 1/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, michaelmars said:

My office, 15 preparers, only use laptops with docking stations.  We all have 2-4 screens on the dock along with label printers, quality speakers and other assorted peripherals.

Don't skimp on quality, we use Lenovo's only.  i have over 12 tax years and every QB program from 2016 on.  Everything gets backed up or stored on a server but my hard drive has about 300 returns and their last 8 years of returns and data on my hard drive.  That way i have anything I could need while out in the field.

Michael,   Off topic but what kind of label printers do you have.  I want to get one but not sure which one.

Ah labels.  We have photos of our "label" days.  All kids present sticking 5160 labels on postcards or mailers, then dealing with the postal employee who does not understand permit mail does not cost more than stamped mail.

Last season I used an online service which mailed the art I sent to the list I sent. They charge a little more than the materials and postage used to cost me, but less than I had to pay the kids. It does take about three weeks, but they likely bundle things with other mailings to get better rates.

I remember burning through more than one LJII cart printing the mailers, and using the printer outside to avoid the smell of the paper heating/cooling. It was a big deal to upgrade from the LJII 6ppm to a newer model at about 15ppm!

Now, I have a dymo 550 for the few labels I print. A return label (to cover the old address and logo on about 1/2 box of pre printed envelopes, and one for the to address. Also use it for labeling file folder tabs.  The label printer is rarely on, i have it on a strip for the things I don't want to vampire (draw power when off).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be translucent: It seems there will be no Windows 12 per se later this year, just a major upgrade to the current Windows 11. So for me, even the upcoming new surface machines did not get my attention. But, what did, was the ASUS ZenBook Duo 2024, which was just left at my door. The dual screens are perfect for me, maybe even to rid the separate monitor. The Surface Pro convertible is a great machine, but it does not work well as a laptop itself (meaning on an actual lap). I dis look at a competing dual screen, but I could not get past the country of origin of the competitor.

I have always preferred portrait orientation for what I do, and this new machine looks perfect. I'll still likely use my old trusty keyboard, but they have a similar layout (option) which has lighted keys and mouse area which has caught my eye. I like a track ball for most use, not the pad, so I'll stick with that too. As with the surface, the pop out "leg" has a raised edge, which is a great for a special cable lock when I need it. I will likely miss the convertible aspect, but if the screens are as nice as I think, the screens will be in place of my monitor, so I will actually gain some desk space in the corner of the visitor/granddaughter room which used to be my office. The new intel chip is a good part of what got me to be willing to go through a computer move yet again. I opted for the core ultra 7, as it is more than enough for my needs, and the core ultra 9 uses more power/produces more heat, and may not even be able to function at full song because of the form factor of the device. The screens are not so bit I needed the extra resolution with the upgraded model, as I tens to use either lower res or more mag anyway, so I can work without special specs.

• Like 1

I use Windows Remote Desktop to access my PC Desktop (running ATX through my server) via both my Surface Pro 9 and my MacBook Pro.  Both are as stable and quick as they are when I'm in the office working directly on the desktop.   I have zero problems with remote access that I don't have when sitting at the PC.  That said, ATX crashes every two or three returns, and you have to restart each time you print something large, but these things seem to happen regardless.

• Like 1