ATX Community

Almost over !!!!!

BTS

Almost over people !!!  Take a couple weeks off then finish the stragglers we filed extensions for.  Its been a trying year that has dragged on forever !!!  Been saying for years we need to cut back,  but this year solidifies we need to.  Tired and wore out as I imagine we all are.  Hope everyone has a fantastic summer !! 

• Like 10

I'm essentially done other than one that is a total PITA.  They dropped off info late March.  I sent email of a couple basic items missing.  Various emails over the last 2 weeks to get the info.  Sent email that they were done Tues, and she replied she will pick up today.  Did not answer my return email as to what time today.  I sent another this morning saying they need to be picked up by 1 pm.  At 1:05 I'll be sending another email with password protected file of their original documents telling them they need to go somewhere else.  They have 1 dependent that graduated HS in 2023 and another in college.  Guessing at least one of them filed their own returns without indicating they were being claimed by someone else.  Same crap happened last year and needed to prepare a revised return for them on 4/18 because kid claimed herself.  

I can be very nice until I feel taken advantage of.  When I reach that point, look out!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

Although long ago someone here said there is a price which makes any client worth having, and our job is to get that full price.

Once in awhile there is a client that no price is high enough!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Lee B said:

Once in awhile there is a client that no price is high enough!

I have always agreed with your statement. My threshold gets lower and lower every day. For instance, I have a hard line of end of relationship when a customer sends me something my granddaughter should not see. It is a matter of being professional/business-like, as well as liking to have her in play in the room when I am working.

• Like 5

I'm fortunate enough to be at a point in my life where I don't need to be bringing in money from preparing returns. For the most part, I still enjoy it and the vast majority of my clients I look forward to seeing each year. 

Email sent and now I'm going to go dig in some dirt and plant some veggie seeds! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

It is very peaceful to let go of those whose revenue does not cover their expense and headache. Although long ago someone here said there is a price which makes any client worth having, and our job is to get that full price.

You are so right! I had about a dozen that I out right fired, about 10 more that I doubled the price and they went elsewhere and a couple more that paid the PIA fee.  The stress these clients caused was not worth the money.

• Like 8

I'm done. This morning I filed the extension for my ultimate procratinator, and other than the extended returns, I am waiting on one to pickup (SO unexpectedly hospitalized day she was scheduled to see me) and one couple that have had the returns for almost a week and must return the 8879 to me.

Tomorow I am participating in a charity event in the early morning and then will be shooting at the clay pigeons. That's been ongoing as weather permitted and really helped keep my sanity this year. Plus, it's fun.

• Like 8

I'm in for a short time today but probably won't get much done.  Got an email from a lost client.  He's four years behind.  Ha.  Says he wants to catch up.  Ok but he'll have to get his info to me.  His son has been coming in regularly.  We'll see.  I jogged this morning.  Feels good to get back to it after a few months off.

• Like 8

I had a (former) client who I hadn't heard from in 4 years text me at 6:00 pm Friday asking me to do a trust and individual return.  This was the normal pattern when they were my clients. I told them I was "pretty much" retired and to call Block Advisors.

Just remembered--one summer I sent them a warning they were about to hit the 60 day mark (minimum penalties kick in).  They contacted me on day 61.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I will be working all day today and tomorrow.  Then on to the extensions.  This has been a whirlwind year.  A client is bringing homemade soup for tomorrow.  Then I can say that we have been given everything from soup to nuts.😉  Friday it was two quarts of homemade maple syrup.  You just have to love these clients who appreciate what you do for them and we really try to do the best job possible.  Off to work I go.

• Like 10

I'm done and done in. Last night I dug a hole on the edge of my foot to remove an already inflamed deepish splinter and went off this morning to the 5K charity event with a bunion pad and bandage. I completed only half of that, and then the sporting clays went about the same, like I was a raw beginner again.

I had an awful season this year. My Mom passed at the end of Feb, and the I got the flu-a in early to mid March and missed many days. I actually sent 3 returns and a trust away because of it. There were a few days that I don't even remember in March when I started back working and was still very sick.

Glad this season is over. If you made it this far, thanks for listening to me whining.

• Like 4
  • Sad 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

I had a pretty good start to the season, but then lost a week to tech crap in March, and this past week to a bad back.  So I'm trying to remind myself why I thought it was a good idea to keep doing taxes a few more years.  But I just prepared a partial list of folks I'm going to fire, I'll go through and finish the list this week.  Then I just have to write the letter to them.
Then only 2 clients I still have payroll returns for, that's a relief to have that so low!  Next year, none!!

• Like 6

I have the utmost respect for everyone here and I thank you for sharing your day to day and making me feel less alone.  Sincerely.

My plan was for this to be my last year but I looked at the numbers and I think I have to do at least one more.   Here's hoping I'm just exhausted and maybe I can call it a day?  

Congratulations to those who are done.  My best to those who will continue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I definitely have a few in mind to fire. However, I'll wait until I've recovered a bit before making final determinations. Drake tracks time on a return (so I leave the client's return open when I'm doing anything with their documents) and one of the things I'll do is go back through 'em all and compare what I charged with what my time-billing fee would have been. Anyone whose time-bill is substantially more than the per-form charge is high on the list of candidate for firing.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, jklcpa said:

I'm done and done in. Last night I dug a hole on the edge of my foot to remove an already inflamed deepish splinter and went off this morning to the 5K charity event with a bunion pad and bandage. I completed only half of that, and then the sporting clays went about the same, like I was a raw beginner again.

I had an awful season this year. My Mom passed at the end of Feb, and the I got the flu-a in early to mid March and missed many days. I actually sent 3 returns and a trust away because of it. There were a few days that I don't even remember in March when I started back working and was still very sick.

Glad this season is over. If you made it this far, thanks for listening to me whining.

Sorry to hear about your mother.  I lost my mother 10  years ago.  It's never easy.

• Like 5

This has been a long season.  And not so much because of the tax work but because of LIFE kind of getting the best of me.  My mother fell and went into nursing home in January.  She basically got stuck in there too long and got worse.  My daughter was quite sick and taking priority over my mother.  My mother died in March.  Had to take off time for that and dealing with my estranged brother. My daughter had a very traumatic break up in March and had to move out of her apartment and back in with us, and continues to have her other problems going on.  Being at the office was a better choice half the time this year, but I'm telling you, these family things have got me worn out.  And just for kicks - we added 2 puppies to the family in January.  Frankie and Louie. (Shih-tzus.  And anybody that has little dogs knows - they tend not to potty train too fast.)  (I will have to update my avatar when I have a free moment.  That was my little guy Vinny who passed last August.)  I'm ready to do NOTHING for a few days.  Hopeful anyway.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

You have, indeed, had LIFE!  That is so much in such a short time - well, for any length of time.  I'm so sorry for your losses.  Hopefully the brother and daughter may be finding peace within and with you soon.  I'm sure Frankie and Louie are a comfort despite puppy challenges.  I so much want a little dog.  Two cats are sweet but not the same as a dog.  My husband is less understanding. 

Take all the time you need.  We know that without self care, we cannot really care well for others.  Breathe....

• Like 4

8 pm!  Just filed the last extension and there are many.  This day is SO over.  Had to pause for one more senseless phone call.  I am going to bed.  Have been in this chair for 12 solid hours.  We didn't even stop to eat.  Good night all.  Things will look better tomorrow.  I am also rethinking giving up and shooting for one more year.  What?  Have we all lost our minds?

• Like 6

This was my last April 15th when I have to care about anyone else's return except my own! I just finished a bunch of extensions, but I still feel like a huge weight has been lifted. This has been the worst tax season ever. I didn't think that it could ever be worse than losing my Mom, but this last five months of having my husband so sick has been the pits. It was getting so hard to concentrate and get enough sleep. We got a new puppy, too for my husband. He turns out to be a Morkey, not a Poodle but I am happier with him anyway. I am also pretty sure that he will never know to go to the door to be let out. He is way too small, anyway. At least he is very good at using pads. Between a dog and 3 cats, it keeps me busy cleaning up. I just hope that we can find a condo that will allow 4 pets when we move.

It was a sad and happy day. Lots of hugs and tears, and I will miss my clients. I got some beautiful bouquets, a customer made blankets for both my husband and me and gift cards to go eat. I did get a gift that I bet none of have ever received. My clients sent me an adjustable leg rest because they know that my leg is still a mess after my scope and that I will be getting a replacement. My client had just broken his leg very badly and was using this after his surgery. 

I have been blessed and still have a ton of work to do. I am hopeful that my husband will improve so that I can get a part time job out of the house in anything but taxes. 

Thanks so much for everything. See you all soon!

• Like 10