ATX Community

Things clients do that make you go HUH?

BulldogTom

Single female client comes in. Third year we are preparing her return.

"Has anything changed since last year?"

Client - "No. Everything is the same. I am still in school, same address. Everything is the same"

Finished the return. Client leaves.

One week later client calls back.

Client "Can I make an appointment for my husband? We got married in December"

Me - Huh? What did you mean when you said nothing changed.

Tom

Lodi, cA

Similar story. Did return for long time client. Husband, wife, two kids. Saw wife couple of weeks after completing return. She had three kids in the car. Asked her who the baby belong to. She said it's ours. Forgot to tell me that they had a baby. Amended the return.

Had this same thing this year. However, I have come to realize that some of this is used as a scam to defraud the IRS and get a whole lot of money back. My scenario, the female client told me she got married and had a baby. I asked about her husband and she said he already had his taxes done some place else and filed as HOH. She knew enough about filing statuses but didn't realize that because she told me the changes, I couldn't file the return the way she wanted. She in turn wanted to file for HOH and asked me what would have happened if she would have never told me she got married. I explained that I would have prepared the return, the route the IRS would take and advised her to bring her husband, the return that was prepared and allow me to amend the return before she got in trouble. She agreed, but that was two weeks ago. Hmmm, I wonder where she is?

I have seen this happening more and more within the hispanic community in our area. Once the IRS begins collections, they flee to Mexico. I have lost several hispanic clients because of this practice which is okay with me. The other thing that happens is if they stay here, and after the IRS sends the "We're coming to get your stuff in 10 days" letter, they usually come back begging for help. I've even seen it where I get them all straight, don't see them again for 3 years and then they come back with the same mess again. Go figure?

Terry D.

Terry D.

>>What did you mean when you said nothing changed. <<

These days getting married isn't necessarily much of a change. More like a paperwork thing. A new baby, now, that is a change but you can't expect people to think of everything in terms of tax deductions.

As for identifying business clients in terms of their ethnic background, that is inappropriate and offensive.

>>What did you mean when you said nothing changed. <<

These days getting married isn't necessarily much of a change. More like a paperwork thing.

A new baby, now, that is a change but you can't expect people to think of everything in terms of tax deductions.

As for identifying business clients in terms of their ethnic background, that is inappropriate and offensive.

But so many of them do think in just those terms. I agree with the ethnic impropriety.

I've had at least 5 clients this year take out over 6 digits in 401K money. All under the penalty-free age. Only 10% withholding on all of them. None of them qualifying for an exclusion.

And they have all been in complete shock that they owe money to the IRS!!

HUH?

One of them did admit he should have run this by me first.

But so many of them do think in just those terms. I agree with the ethnic impropriety.

I think that is carrying political correctness to an unwarranted extreme. I grew up in South Texas where many people were of Mexican descent. Some grew up to be excellent, contributing members of society. Lauro (Larry) Cavazos became president of Texas Tech and was Secretary of Education under George HW Bush. His brother Richard became a Four-Star Generan and as a First Lieutenant won the silver star. Other people of Mexican descent, became bums just like a lot of people of all other ethnic groups.

If a white anglo-saxon protestant went back to some other country of origin, I don't think it would be inappropriate to call him a German, Englishman, Irishman, Swede, or Lower Slobovian.

Calling a Mexican a Mexican is less insulting than calling a Southerner a Redneck or calling a German a squarehead. Perceiving an insult from the word "Mexican" is as illogical as perceiving an insult if you are called an "American" or a Canadian is called a "Canadian."

Political correctness has developed to an extreme in its own way just as much as the extremes of racial prejudice used to be.

Thanks for the support taxcpa. I intended no offense in my statement. I didn't even make reference to my clients as business clients either. Many "Puerto Ricans, and folks from El Salvador want to be called 'Hispanic" and get extremely upset if they are called Mexicans. The fact remains, the practice I mentioned, is done in large proportions within the community I mentioned and needs to be stopped. I am originally from Ohio and moved to the South 12 years ago and still get called a yankee, matter of fact, a damned yankee. I guess I am mature enough to not really care at all and all I do is laugh at it.

I am sorry if I offended anyone by my earlier post in this thread. That was not my intent.

Terry D.

>>the practice I mentioned, is done in large proportions within the community I mentioned<<

Like all prejudice, this one feeds itself. Apparently you don't see the majority of Hispanics who are honest and hard-working. No doubt they avoid your office in the face of such an attitude. Maybe only the ones who want to cheat think your office is a good place to come.

In my observation "the Hispanic community" is deeply religious with far more commitment to family values than the general population. It also embodies a strong work ethic, which is the principal reason for immigration in the first place. They don't risk freedom and money just to hide their marital status or claim someone else's kid.

Jainen I will reply at the risk of offending you. I initially chose to not respond to you as I felt comments of such a nature do not deserve a response. But, I felt some type of defense was warranted. I do see and recognize both sides of the coin here and I do not have the attitude that you suggest. Matter of fact, your response to this post demonstrates that you appear to be very closed minded and it is purely a shame that you have reduced this to prejudice.

Your accusation of prejudice is completly unfounded. You do not know me, nor have you ever met me, and for you to make such an accusation is more than offensive to me. You have been on this discussion board and the ATX old discussion board for some time and you have attacked me more than once with some kind of ill minded unecessary remark. I beg you to find one time or even one instance that I have taken the liberty to do the same to you. Most people on this board including myself, have a high level of respect for you and the knowledge you possess. Why don't you treat others the same?

>>In my observation "the Hispanic community" is deeply religious with far more commitment to family values than the general population. It also embodies a strong work ethic, which is the principal reason for immigration in the first place. They don't risk freedom and money just to hide their marital status or claim someone else's kid. <<

I agree with your statement here completely. If you go back and read my original post, I never made any type of statement to anything you have said in this statement and I ask that you refrain from taking out of context the comments that I made.

Terry D.

<snip>

Political correctness has developed to an extreme in its own way just as much as the extremes of racial prejudice used to be.

Thank you, taxxcpa. I fail to understand how a mere statement of fact can possibly be either "inappropriate" or "offensive" to anyone.

There is a world of difference between calling someone a supposedly offensive name (like "guinea" or "wop", applied chronically to me in childhood), and calling me "Italian" (my ethnic background).

"Political correctness" taken to such an extreme is well along the slippery step _past_ control of expression (First Amendment, anyone?) heading towards control of _thought_. And THAT I find terrifying.

Catherine

>>the practice I mentioned, is done in large proportions within the community I mentioned<<

Like all prejudice, this one feeds itself. Apparently you don't see the majority of Hispanics who are honest and hard-working. No doubt they avoid your office in the face of such an attitude. Maybe only the ones who want to cheat think your office is a good place to come.

In my observation "the Hispanic community" is deeply religious with far more commitment to family values than the general population. It also embodies a strong work ethic, which is the principal reason for immigration in the first place. They don't risk freedom and money just to hide their marital status or claim someone else's kid.

My ethnic rant:

Living and growing up in Southern California until I was in my 40's, I worked with and supervised many Hispanics, the majority from Mexico or first generation. I worked in groceries stores and was sent to one in Santa Ana to "clean up the 'Mexican' mess and reduce all the bad checks they were passing." Surprise, all the bad checks were from "gringos." Friday was pay day and the busiest day of the week. Starting at 4:30, the "Mexicans" would come in with the whole family and spend 75% of their pay check. Over 70% of the employees were hispanic and had a very "strong work ethic." Sundays, the store didn't need to open until after Mass, because we hardly ever had any customers until around noon. Once my company reluctantly accepted this "ethnic anomaly" and let me work with the community, the store volume doubled, not to mention, the lasting friends I made. I could go on, but my point was far more eloquently stated by jainen.

Hey folks, lets lighten up a bit. Terry did not say 'all Hispanics' or 'most Hispanics'. he just stated something that he is seeing in his area. Are we supposed to be blind to reality, for fear of offending someone with the truth? In my area, this same scam is common, primarily with the 'white trash' community. Yes, some blacks and some Hispanics probably do it too. There, have I offended everyone yet?

Come on, we all see enough 'scammers' who play the EIC games, and it's not unreasonable to be offended by their actions. But being offended by someone mentioning them is going a bit far, IMHO. Most of the Hispanics I know are hard workers, it is true. It's also true that the most vicious gang in the country is MS-13, who's members are mostly from El Salvador. Does that mean that we should fear all Hispanics? Or that we should fear no Hispanicss? I'd prefer if we simply recognize that saying someone is Hispanic is no different than saying someone is European. It's not a judgement on them.

>>I never made any type of statement to anything you have said<<

It's true that I only know what this member told us about his practice. Any reader can compare his statements with my understanding that a number of Hispanics have used that office to make false claims about their families, that this has been going on for years and is increasing, and that he does not know why they come back there to do it again. From these individual tax cheats who use his office he suggests a characteristic of the Hispanic community. I am not afraid to label such an expression for what it is.

I appreciate Terry's compliment for my position on this board. I care for the ATX forum and work hard that our use of the tax code be technically correct. But I also often address issues of practice and procedure when raised by others. As professionals we have a delicate intimacy with our clients' family and financial circumstances. Each client is unique and should be thought of as unique. Our relationship with clients is a technical matter of the code as well. Last year the IRS invested great energy in revising guidelines on that very topic, which is one definition of ethics.

In my opinion, the tax code has no technical meaning in itself; it can only be understood in terms of the whole society. When the code is used in a divisive manner, I'm moved to object. There are some legitimate ethnic provisions in the code, such as special treatment for immigrants and native Americans. But the manipulation of ethnic prejudices continues to be among the worst problems identified by the IRS, like, for example, slavery reparations. Factors in between such extremes are worth highlighting, whether they come from clients or professionals.

I honestly don't believe that the idea that lying about family composition is "happening more and more within the Hispanic community" can be supported with anything beyond anecdotal evidence. If in fact the routine has found a home in a particular preparer's office, the problem is within that office, not within the Hispanic community.

Last year I had people asking me where their stimulus payment was.

Before congress had even passed anything.

This year they are asking when they get the new stimulus. This is right after they call to ask if their taxes are done yet. I am approximately 47 behind at this point. Not even March 1 and everyone wants a refund. I have 114 accepted e files already and most of the difficult returns are still out there. Studying some law or other every night and hoping that I don't come unglued.

Had this same thing this year. However, I have come to realize that some of this is used as a scam to defraud the IRS and get a whole lot of money back. My scenario, the female client told me she got married and had a baby. I asked about her husband and she said he already had his taxes done some place else and filed as HOH. She knew enough about filing statuses but didn't realize that because she told me the changes, I couldn't file the return the way she wanted. She in turn wanted to file for HOH and asked me what would have happened if she would have never told me she got married. I explained that I would have prepared the return, the route the IRS would take and advised her to bring her husband, the return that was prepared and allow me to amend the return before she got in trouble. She agreed, but that was two weeks ago. Hmmm, I wonder where she is?

I have seen this happening more and more within the hispanic community in our area. Once the IRS begins collections, they flee to Mexico. I have lost several hispanic clients because of this practice which is okay with me. The other thing that happens is if they stay here, and after the IRS sends the "We're coming to get your stuff in 10 days" letter, they usually come back begging for help. I've even seen it where I get them all straight, don't see them again for 3 years and then they come back with the same mess again. Go figure?

Terry D.

Terry D.

Hello Terry, I think I am going to have to disgree with you on this, for some reason the above statement does not make any sense to me and I will tell you why!!! Please explain to me why someone with a valid SS# being Mexican that would benefit from claiming HOH, getting the EIC for the children flee to Mexico when they get an IRS letter vs someone with an ITIN claiming HOH and not getting the EIC because of the ITIN? You talk about defrauding the IRS, to get a whole lot of money back, as you know the IRS does not dish out some credits without the a valid SS#. Someone can prepare a return with ITIN and calculate all the credit they are entitled if they had a valid SS#, but most likely the IRS would catch that and disallow the credits. No matter what race, everyone wants to get more money back and will try to cheap the goverment, not saying this right but the best medicine is to inform someone about the consequences. You did right in trying to correct the situation, however the other thing you wrote is not context with the situation you had witht the client, sounds a little offensive to me.

Hey, let's stop picking on each other. This is the place we can go to vent with colleagues. We see things in our practices that we can't mention to other clients or friends or family who might be able to infer identities. Here we can talk about anonymous clients, vent, and return to our desks as politically correct preparers. So someone noticed that married couples were filing two HOH returns and returning to their nearby homeland when the feds came knocking. Just an observation. So what. Read his story or don't read it. I took it as a geographical observation rather than a dig at any nationality. I don't have any relatives from the country that was mentioned, so am not trying to tell you not to be offended. But, if you are, stop reading this thread and read another that enhances your tax knowledge or gives you a laugh or unites you with fellow posters. Don't stick around here if it's stressful.