ATX Community

Most repeated phrase to clients this time of year

Booger

I don't tell them an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay.

I tell them it's TECHNICALLY not an extension of time to pay, but as a practical matter it IS an extension of time to pay at a 1-1/4% monthly rate that approximates an APR of about 14%. A rate that's more than the cost of a HELOC, but less than most standard credit card rates. And no matter what happens, it won't ding your credit. For some people, that's an acceptable compromise, especially if they just don't have the money right now.

But my most common reply right now is "I know you don't want an extension, but the only way your return is getting filed before Apr 15 is if you take it to HRB, JH, or Liberty. Do you want your stuff back?"

ME: If you dropped off your stuff three weeks ago as you said you would since you were going on vacation, I would have it ready today. Now I have to put you on extension.

HE: You can"t do it within the next two days?

ME: Sunday is Easter and I'm going to be with my family and not doing your tax return.

HE: But I owe money.

ME: Not my problem. If this is not acceptable there's always HRB.

HE: O.K., I'll drop it off.

taxbilly

Me: "So far, between $45 and $600."

This is after the person asks me, "Can you tell me what you charge to do tax returns?"

OK, people, it's APRIL. This is just like taking your lawn-mower-chopped-off-finger in a bag of ice to the doctor's office and asking, "Can you tell me what you charge to sew this back on?"

Ok, maybe not JUST like that example, but COME ON, the ice is melting. What - When the doc tells you his charge, are you gonna say, "OK, I'll check around and let you know."?!?

BTW, the next thing I say is, "But, I'm not taking any new clients. Thanks for asking, though."

Well, since you guys are my clients, if you call and talk to me you're probably going to hear, "Hang on while I see what I can find out." Don't know why, but all the genuinely WEIRD problems decide to surface during the last week of tax season...

Well, since you guys are my clients, if you call and talk to me you're probably going to hear, "Hang on while I see what I can find out." Don't know why, but all the genuinely WEIRD problems decide to surface during the last week of tax season...

It's because we've back-burnered those returns.... :blush:

Prospective client: "Do you charge to answer questions?"

Me: "The answer to the first question is free, but there's a charge for the next question and everything after that."

Prospective client: "How much do you charge after the first question?"

Me: "$120 per hour with a one hour minimum. What's your second question?"

Client: "Why do I owe $3,500 AGAIN this year?"

Me: "Did you send in those estimated payment vouchers I made up for you last year?"

Client: "No, I didn't think they would be necessary so I didn't send them."

Me: Silent as I let it POSSIBLY sink in... then... "Didn't we have this discussion last year about underpayment penalties?"

Client: "Yes, but I thought this year would be different, and my neighbor doesn't send any in so I didn't think I would need to either."

Me: Frustrated now, I have IMPORTANT things to do..... "If you do not use the vouchers I provided, my fee next year will be $100 higher."

Client: CLICK....

Ooooooo,, I like that one! And I do have at least a couple of folks with whom I am sorely tempted to share this piece of opinion/advice.

OOO! What has happened to all the friendly people in OH. I lived in the NE part of Ohio with all those friendly farmers, have they all gone snippy nowdays, or is it just the Tax Stress talking :unsure:

Well, I wouldn't say exactly gone snippy, probably Tax Stress. But here in my neck of the city, we don't have friendly farmers. We have, well, other characters, not so friendly, that keep pushing buttons and time limitations. One example is a client who wants to take a double deduction for her home office for self employment and for the work she does as an employee. This would be deducting her internet access for both, computer usage for both (she already claims 100% business), and cell phone usage. Take that back - she is reimbursed for 70% of her cell phone and claims the other 28% for business. Hmmm, no personal use at all? I forwarded Pub. 587 and asked her to review Qualifying for a Deduction and get back to me.

Guess I am a bit testy...I will try to restrain myself or at least not reveal my true feelings!

Hot off the email! So she actually read Pub 587 and now has informed me that her charitable mileage is actually business mileage, exactly 50% Jan-June and 50% July-Dec. And she uses her dining room table for the employee related work recognizing that she cannot deduct house costs for that. She didn't answer if she has a second computer but informed me that she has wi-fi so internet access in both places!

I'm thinking this is a good candidate to refer to somewhere else next year - but she is really nice. Sigh....

Margaret,

I figure as long as I'm not that snippy to my clients and vent here and to my family, I've done a good job. My dad's wife had the gall to ask me when her worthless daughter's FREE tax return would be done and was offended when I said that my paying clients came first. I love my dad so I didn't scream at her.

Bonnie

I like to think I'm venting here so I can remain nice to my clients, but I know I'm less than nice to the ones who keep calling, emailing, whatever, to ask what's happening or when will my return be done or do you know it's April 12 or why haven't I heard from you. I like Catherine's response about I put you on extension two days ago. I probably won't until Wednesday, just 'cause I can't spare a minute now while people still need to get to me out in the boonies to pick up and to the bank and to the PO and..., and I still need to estimate what they owe, but I can still SAY I did already. Reminds me of when the kids were young: Are we there yet? And, my printer said it needed a new cartridge and still said that after replacing the cartridge in the middle of a 1500 page return. After the third cartridge, it started over from the beginning!!! Can I scream now?!