ATX Community

What ticks you off?

ILLMAS

Today a client called me and was telling me that I am hard to reach, that I am always with a client or working out of the office. He jokingly said he almost wanted to wait in front of my house to talk to me, but recently my attitude hasn't been the same and everything he said got me upset because I do so much for him for free. I prepare zero sales tax for him at no charge, deliver documents to his business and I always take the time to explain to him everything. So I was very surprised to hear this from him, worse I have to wait months to receive his payment. He is stopping on Monday and I want to clear things out, I don't want to remind him of all the frebies he gets but in a professional manner let him know he is not my only client.

I think you said it well at the end - "You are not my only client."

You could even add - "You are not my biggest client, or my most profitable client"

Depends upon how strong ou want to make it.

He can either accept that or go somewhere else.

As for communication, I don't know how you do it but I try to migrate them all over to email. I always tell them they can get almost instantaneous responses from me if they will use email, but phone calls have to wait until I can get to them. Usually I return phone calls the same day or next day, but no guarantees when I'm really busy. And I do everything possible to discourage them from coming to my office. I find I am much more efficient as long as I can keep my clients out of my office.

I know your pain! This client is definitely one that needs your new policy: No returns will be released prior to payment, any and all work performed by you will invoiced accordingly (the no charge situation will cease immediately), and as your costs have increased over the years but your fees have not, any future work for him/her will reflect your long overdue rate increase.

It works every time. I either get rid of an aggrevating client (the type that makes you hate the whole tax season just because of him/her) or I happily do their work as they have accepted my HUGE rate increase. Either way, you come out way ahead!

Last but not least, as I have said many times on this forum: the more you charge them, the more they appreciate you. After giving one of my clients his invoice (with a $75 increase from 2009), he immediately wrote his check and told me he'd be right back. He went to his truck and returns to my office with a bottle of liquor (retail - $120) and told me how much he appreciates me. Go figure!!!

Take care,

Cathy

It does seem to be the ones you baby the most who respect you the least, doesn't it?

Perhaps you might say "Sorry Joe, but I feel you do not respect me and the value of my services, when you delay paying me but expect me to be there anytime you want to talk to me. Perhaps you would be happier with someone else doing your work."

That will either get rid of an aggravating client, freeing time for a better one, or shake him up and make him adjust his attitude. Either way you win. Believe me, one client like that can add a lot of stress. And this time of year especially, it is totally unfair for any client to expect you to jump to fit HIS schedule. Fire him, or increase his fee A LOT.

DITTO KC and Old Jack. I have a S-Corp that irritates me in the same way. Always trying to get me to reduce my fees. I already do too much for this client that I don't bill for and this year this thread was out exact conversation. Our time would be better spent filling up the hold left from this client by a few new clients. Plus, we would be able to address others more efficiently as well. Sometimes you have to weigh all of the odds.

The young couple whose return I did this afternoon. Last year they had one income, one child, education credit because wife was still in school, plus an EIC. In 2010 they are both employed, earned over 80k and want to know why they don't get an EIC.

AnnieR

"What ticks you off?"

People who want to talk about taxes during the 4.5 hours a week that I am not at the office.

Church "friend" runs me down in Wal-Mart after church yesterday: I didn't want to bother you at church, even though Wifey said I should just ask you...but I didn't want to impose, you know, at church and all...

Me: Do you have a question?

Thoughtful church friend: Yeah, my buddy got that same house buying credit I got and he got a letter saying he didn't have to pay it back. I'm not worried about it, but are you sure I have to pay that back? I mean, I didn't get any letters telling me to pay it back or anything. (TCF got the $7500 LOAN. Who knows what his buddy got? That credit changed more than some people change underwear.)

Me: Could you bring me your friend's letter and his last three tax returns?

TCF: Also my friend's CPA said you could get a tax credit for your mortgage interest. Up to $10,000. Do you know anything about that?

Me: No, I can't say that I do. And, it would not bother me in the least if you called your friend's tax preparer.

TCF: Oh, no, it's not that important. (I'm walking away.) Didn't want to bother you at church and all...

OK, really?

OK, this isn't really a major "tick off" but still somewhat annoying.

I e-mail tax return to client with instructions to sign the 8879 and return. I explain what page it is in the attachment & where to sign the form. So far this year I've had 2 people send me back the signed 1040 page 2. Previously I've gotten both the 1040 & the 8879 (this one is not a problem). Then there are the ones who fax back ALL the pages. I'm glad my faxes come to my e-mail so I don't have to waste paper on forms I already have!

I am using TaxWorks this year & the 8879 generally ends up on the last page. I agree that clients can't always count pages, so I really like the ability to point out the signature page is the "last page in the attachment." I've also started specifying to sign the "middle portion of the form next to 'Your signature'" (and "spouse signature"). This seems to have reduced the number who insist on signing the ERO signature line. Really? Do you know what an "ERO" is? If not, why do you think it's you?? But, for those I just tend to draw arrows.

I have a couple of these. Drives me nuts:

The wife works and has significant withholdings. The husband is self-employed and eats up her withholdings with his self-employment tax. She gets all mad because he hasn't paid in, and she's not getting anything back. Hello! If you want more money, go to HR and change the w/h. Make him write checks. In the big picture, as a married couple, does it matter if you withhold or write checks. My husband has huge withholdings to cover my s/e tax. I don't like writing checks. It's much easier to withhold on his end.

grumble, mumble.

Now one of these couples has incorporated his business, and has given the wife part ownership. Now I'm hearing about how she wants a paycheck. Which she will get. But they just go on and on.................And who lets a spouse have ownership? They didn't appreciate that I wanted their atty to talk to them about having a buy/sell agreement in place in case of divorce. I love my husband very much, but I would never make him part owner of my business. Love and money just don't make a nice cocktail.

I added my husband as co-owner of my business so that we could get group health insurance. Only insurance option we had. I give him as many non-tax tasks that I can find. Gets him the 30 hours / week to keep insurance happy & frees up some of my time.

Love & money are working well for us!

• Like 1

What is really starting to tick me off is having to cut apart W2 and 1099 forms. I thought they were all supposed to be perforated this year. Seems like there are more that need the scissors treatment than ever. Of course, a lot of those are 1099G Unemployment forms. Heaven forbid that the government should follow their own advice.

Love and money are still mixing here. He has his business and I have mine.

Most of the "real" W2s I've had this year have been perforated. But, more and more, my clients are getting them on-line and printing themselves. Many of the 1099s are just the single form & I photocopy. I am moving to more electronic transmissions and fewer personal appointments. Obviously, no perforations on those -- but I don't cut them either. I just keep the page that has all 4 copies on it.

why are you cutting these? is this just for paper returns? I have alway kept a copy of W-2', 1099's etc for my copy. never an original.

In our wonderful State of Ohio, almost every little burg, town and city has an income tax. Very few can be e-filed, a few have online submission capability, but most have to be paper filed. Hence the need to cut apart W-2.

I use the papercutter because most of the pre-perf paper w-2s don't align correctly anyway. Too much trouble on the part of the payroll department to make sure the paper/program than prints them is aligned properly.

why are you cutting these? is this just for paper returns? I have alway kept a copy of W-2', 1099's etc for my copy. never an original.

I was taught to keep the Fed and WI copies with the 8879 in my files and put the employee copy in the copy of the return that I give to the client.

I have my paper cutter on the other side of my office. I have to get my exercise somehow.

I cannot even get to the other side of my office where I also have a paper cutter, somewhere, under something. I am starting to tell my clients that I have organized clutter. I am becoming surrounded by piles. If the IRS lets me stay in business, I may have to put an extension on this room before next year.

• Like 1

I am a clutterer, too. Somehow my desk can't stand being cleared. It just attracts paper and holds with unseen forces. Of course, part of the desk is a cushion for whichever cat arrives first. Both also like to lay on any paper so I have to leave some around for that. But really, if it's on my desk I can find it. Might take a while but at least I know it's there - somewhere. Drives my husband a bit nuts but it's good to know that there are others like me.

• Like 1