ATX Community

Where did everybody go?

PapaJoe

I'm lurking, just not posting. Still working on fiscal year clients, and three late clients, and a couple of corporations that have multiple prior years to file. Tax season doesn't end until today for CT and NY. Everyone else must be taking a vacation after this tax season that's never going to end.

Things always slow down this time of year as we approach Thanksgiving. I think most folks are recovering from the recently passed deadlines and are beginning to rest up for the next go around. As for me, I had an interesting last couple of days. I installed the new update for the Client Write Up, Fixed Assets and Paperless programs over the weekend. When I attempted to open the different programs, CWU did not have any of my firm information nor client info. FAM errored out while streamling the client base and will not open until the streamlining is complete. And Paperless (the old Document Manager program) looks very new and improved - I am impressed. I spent three hours on Sunday trying to figure out what was wrong and finally decided to uninstall all of the new updates and reinstall the old programs on Monday monring so my employees could work. Alas, that did not work either. Still no firm info nor client info. (I did find the database for the client info so knew it was there but the program just was not pointing to it. We are networked with a file server running server 2003. I spent four and a-half hours on the phone yesterday with two ATX tech support folks and they were able to bail me out. I spent another couple of hours after they finished doing their things but all is much, much better today. I can not say enough good things about tech support. Never once did they make me feel like a was a burder to them. They went way, way beyond the call of duty to get us back up and running. The bottom line, near as I can tell, the issues for CWU centered around something I had done on the original install and update. And the FAM issue had to do with a wayward tax return file that was setting in the FAM database. None of us could explain how that got there. As to CWU, we got the 2010 version running on the server and the workstations and all of the client info and firm info is there. They wanted to go ahead and install the 2011 update but I told them I needed to recover a couple days and build up enough courage to give it another go around. They told me to call them, if I wanted, when I got ready to install 2011 and they would monitor the install and give me assistance if needed. By the way, I dialed the phone at exactly 8:00 yesterday morning and was not put on hold at all.

• Like 1

I'm still here, trying to get caught up on old stuff and getting ready for the move. Spent the night in the hospital last Tuesday after a bumpy ride in the rescue squad from the office. It was not a heart attack, but they had no answers for the very high blood pressure and terrible chest pain. I don't have high blood pressure. I am using an inhaler before exercise, to see if that will help. If I continue having the pains, I will have to have a heart cath to make sure that I don't have blockages that don't show up on the stress test.

I'm just enjoying some beautiful beach views. But I still have my computer with e-mail & fax just in case any client needs to reach me. Then they feel bad for interrupting my travels. But I would rather work on projects while I have a great view than while stuck in my office. It's a trade-off I'm quite willing to make.

NECPA -take care of yourself! That sounds like a scary ordeal, for sure!

I've been lurking, too, while trying to finish up my marathon thanks. Check this, if interested http://tiny.cc/pf71p This weekend I accompany an elderly client to a family reunion of sorts in New York. She meets her newest great grands, including the one from England. She'll be 98 in a couple of weeks so this will mean a lot to them all, I hope.

I'm thankful for all of you on this board and Eric for providing it. Don't quite know how I would manage. Ron, I was happy to see truly positive comments about tech support from ATX. I have noticed a lot of customer outreach and improvements this year and am quite optimistic about the future of ATX software. At least I hope it lasts as long as my last few years in practice.

Don't eat too much, folks, and be nice to the rest of the family ^_^

• Like 1

I have had radition for a tumor behind the right eye and have double vision. I was quite the pirate for halloween with a patch over my eye. It takes some getting used to. Hopefully it the eye will go back to normal for tax season.

I have been lurking and reading just a few posts until the eyes start to water. Oh well, this is life. It's tough but as I say I could be looking ta the roots to the grass above me. Thank God that is not the case.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I'm still here, trying to get caught up on old stuff and getting ready for the move. Spent the night in the hospital last Tuesday after a bumpy ride in the rescue squad from the office. It was not a heart attack, but they had no answers for the very high blood pressure and terrible chest pain. I don't have high blood pressure. I am using an inhaler before exercise, to see if that will help. If I continue having the pains, I will have to have a heart cath to make sure that I don't have blockages that don't show up on the stress test.

Please, get that checked out further......and soon.

Yes, bstaxes, good luck with that. My husband and I both had cataract surgery and implants two years ago during tax season. The first year was rough, but now it just keeps getting better and better.

We are certainly a bunch of lurkers. However, lucky me. I spent the last two days in "tax school" completing continuing ed. and then, staying on top of the Green Bay Packers late game last night, I am wiped. Good night all.

I have also been hanging around, and checking to see what someone else would post. I hope that your eye improves, bstaxes, and I hope that they can either figure out what caused your episode or else you never have another one, necpa. My husband has been dealing with atrial fibrillation attacks since last February and he finally had a cardiac ablation done in September hoping that would cure the problem. He has had two attacks since then, but they tell me that it takes about three months for the scar tissue to fully form to prevent the attacks so I am still hopeful. And I am thankful that he is otherwise healthy and with me.

During tax season we all post more frequently, I think, as we have questions and need our electronic "water cooler." But the support and help on this board is one of the things that I am thankful for in this Thanksgiving season.

Thank you for all of your thoughts. Bstaxes, I hope that you recover quickly. Margaret, I am in awe of your ability to run a marathon. It is for a great cause. Gail, I hope that the ablation works well for your husband. My step-father is going to be shocked through his groin in a couple of weeks for a-fib. They don't know if it will work or for how long. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

NECPA & bstaxes BOTH -- take care of yourselves and get better!!

I haven't even been lurking. We've been in this house close to 8 1/2 years and knew from the beginning that the master bath was going to need to be re-done, as it was barely functional (for the last 8 winters, the "heat" in there has been my hair dryer - with the cord dangling IN the sink). Now with Gwen off to college, it was time to re-do that room. I've spent the fall choosing contractors, agonizing over design minutiae, coordinating, ordering -- and in my copious free time dealing with the late clients and the few representation clients I still have and the inevitable agency letters (you did your taxes WRONG and owe umpty gazillion dollars NOW - that are always wrong but need careful, documented answers - wasn't e-filing supposed to FIX some of this?!?!). Busy enough to want to crawl under my desk and hide.... LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here. I am grateful and thankful for each and every one of you - your knowledge, your wit, your challenges, your friendship. :wub:

Catherine

• Like 1