ATX Community

So the sign on my front door says

rfassett

For the first time, I am closing the office Friday and Saturday! Never open on a Sunday. I have closed on Good Friday only one other time in the past ten years. But this year I said why should I take Friday off just to come in half a day on Saturday? I think it will be a nice mini vacation to regain my mental strength for the last two weeks of the season.

• Like 1

I'm having my assistant come in at 8am to take over for me, giving her some of the easier returns to key in. I only have one computer with ATX on it, so I'm going to bed at 8 when she comes in. Lucky she's a morning person & I'm not. I still have a but load of returns that haven't been touched yet.

Boxes on the floor staring at me. A client on the way home from AZ with a 1099R showing a $500,000 K taxable withdrawal that should be a rollover and a pile of half-finished returns. Such is life. However, I am going to lunch today with my husband and sons; working tomorrow and cooking on Sunday. Most Sunday's I unplug the landline in the afternoon to take a nap because people have very little respect or common sense. OIH means you are up for grabs. On the other hand, there are advantages.

A very blessed and happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it; and a beautiful weekend to the rest of you as well!

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

During tax season i am open 7 days a week (religious observers can work their schedules). I have 6 appointments today and 5 tomorrow. Only 2 on Sunday so far but at the end of tax season those Sunday appointments get booked on a Saturday.

It is a lovely dawn!

On the left coast as well!

Wait - maybe its the right coast! Oh well, it is a lovely dawn across America today!

I chose to close the doors on Good Friday years ago when I decided to run the business instead of letting it run me. Before I started my own practice more years ago than I care to admit, I quit a very good job at a prestigous firm in Central Texas because management insisted everyone show up for work on Easter Sunday. I tendered my resignation on April 16th and have not looked back!

• Like 2

During tax season i am open 7 days a week (religious observers can work their schedules). I have 6 appointments today and 5 tomorrow. Only 2 on Sunday so far but at the end of tax season those Sunday appointments get booked on a Saturday.

During tax season we are open 8 - 6 Monday through Friday and 8 - noon on Saturday. Non tax season the hours are 8 - 4:30 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 8 - noon on Wednesday. Those are not the hours I work, just the hours the doors and phones are on and the staff works.

I am open today, but don't any appointments scheduled. We are having our Easter with the kids and grandkids here tomorrow evening, so I will be able to come downstairs and work while they are here. Sunday we have to go to my family, but I won't be able to stay for long, because I don't even want to think about how many returns I have left to prepare.

Guest Taxed

The advantage of being your own boss is you decide how you want to run your business. I have an observant jewish client (few taxpayers in that family) and they will not book an appointment after sunset or during sabbeth, so I work with them when it is convenient for them.

Sunday I am having Easter dinner at 2pm. But I will work 2 appointments in the morning.

My husband is off chasing the Jayhawks (Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU! - Bart, back me up here.) I am doing taxes all weekend, but I will take time to dye eggs with my 7 year old son tomorrow night, enjoy the Easter bunny with him in the morning, and take him to Church (he is very excited about his new suit).

Go Hawks!

• Like 1

I'm working and have a client picking up on her way home from work. I'll be at church on Sunday but probably back at work (OIH) the rest of the day. My retired husband shopped and will cook a ham and scalloped potatoes. So I will take time out for a nice dinner with him. If I include a glass of wine, I'll probably end up napping. But still hope to get in at least one return Sunday.

I might not answer my phone until Monday, except for call backs I'm expecting.

Whoever set up tax season to include Passover and Easter and the Spring Forward time change just didn't think. Why not between Labor Day and Thanksgiving? And this year with the delay from Congress...! And, I got calls yesterday from two different clients who received corrected consolidated 1099s, one a second correction.

Happy Easter! Happy Passover! Happy Spring! Happy Weekend! Enjoy!

• Like 2

Guest Taxed

Folks if you have a traditional Easter supper (the works and drinks after that) don't book an appointment after that because you will be sleepy. Get your appointments out of the way before supper.

I am going to take a short nap after supper and then work on pending cases in the evening. Got a full day Monday to worry about!

My husband is off chasing the Jayhawks (Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU! - Bart, back me up here.) I am doing taxes all weekend, but I will take time to dye eggs with my 7 year old son tomorrow night, enjoy the Easter bunny with him in the morning, and take him to Church (he is very excited about his new suit).

Go Hawks!

Just like all of you I have more returns to do than I can possible get done. But I am also going to take some time for myself. I have two sons. One lives 3 hours away. He has not been home in a couple of years. He is coming in for the weekend and he, myself and my other son have gotten a very nice hotel room (at Ameristar, jasdlm) and are going to watch the game. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS GO KU!!!

• Like 1

I was not "open" today because I went to an accounting client who had a serious glitch in their systems that needed attention pronto. Then this afternoon had a lovely completed form dropoff/visit with an elderly couple who I don't wish to have come here because of the stairs. They didn't have fresh cookies for me this time (phooey and phew!) but it's like visiting old friends. I will work this evening, tomorrow, and probably part of Sunday but will also go to church early as they are doing a Hallelujah chorus and anyone who wishes to sing can come rehearse with the choir. I have sung the alto line for years but can't it's always best not to do it "cold" and with musical score if possible. My non-observant husband doesn't really get the whole Easter thing, and neither daughter can make it home this Sunday so I will observe for myself.

Years and years ago, I went with a friend to a Greek Orthodox Easter midnight service. At one point in the service, they go out with the icon and walk around the block, singing in Byzantine Greek. I still remember words and music after all these years. It was really something.

Make hay while the sun's shining.

Besides, I'm headed out of town for a night Thrs/Friday because my daughter has her doctor appt in Rochester. We'll stay at the hotel and go shopping and eat out. Nice little get away. Gotta do something with the girls while schools out. Even though we'll have to stick needles in her while she's there. She's looking forward to swimming and getting good eats.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a return from a long time client who's in the hospital down the street. Hit the bank too, and get groceries. Then back to the salt mines. My assistant is bringing me a plate from her Easter dinner. She got a ton of stuff keyed today, so my night will be finishing them up and working on the stack of partially completed returns. And more are coming in, but they have extension written all over them!

Last count I have 50 committed to be finished but not yet started, another 20 in house to be extended, and anticipate another 30 over the next two weeks that will be extended. 112 hours per week for the past three weeks has helped me catch up. I can tell where I am at by certain clients. I always assign pins based on the date and the number of that return for the day. I have a client that always gets his stuff ready while he is watching the Daytona 500. I worked on his return this year the morning after the afternoon I worked on it last year. I am pretty well caught up. So it is coast to the finish line here.