ATX Community

Consumer Advisory Board. I need your input...

Jack from Ohio

I was chosen to be a member of the Consumer Advisory Board. This is a group of ATX users from around the country that will meet in Kennesaw next week. The board is intended to bring input to the ATX developers and upper management about issues that affect us and for recommendations we would like to see in next year's software.

Now here is where I need everyone to be civil. I am TOTALLY AWARE of all the shortcomings of the 2012 software. No need to send me a list of all the issues. I am totally immersed in the beta testing and have been VERY vocal and straight with them about these shortcomings and what they are doing to correct them.

What I would like from everyone, is a list of viable and reasonable additions and changes you would like to see in the 2013 software. I will take each non-abusive recommendation seriously and present it to them. I am considering this an honor and opportunity to help all the ATX users.

Send me PMs with your suggestions. I promise to give them the proper attention and pass them along. There will be internet access there, so I will be able to check in. If you send me a PM, I will give you my e-mail address for quicker communication.

I am taking this opportunity seriously. I will ignore anyone who chooses to be rude and insulting.

• Like 3

Congratulations on being chosen, Jack. I know you will be thorough in your testing and won't hold back in voicing your opinion and concerns, and that is what is needed.

It's a shame that so many of this forum's users are absent during this time of the year and probably won't see this. Is there a reason why you prefer the PMs and to not see suggestions posted here other than for expediency or to contain the emotions? Even though I'm not a current user, I'd kind of like to see suggested enhancements, and I might consider ATX again in future if the problems are worked out. It was an awesome program.

• Like 1

Congratulations on being chosen, Jack. I know you will be thorough in your testing and won't hold back in voicing your opinion and concerns, and that is what is needed.

It's a shame that so many of this forum's users are absent during this time of the year and probably won't see this. Is there a reason why you prefer the PMs and to not see suggestions posted here other than for expediency or to contain the emotions? Even though I'm not a current user, I'd kind of like to see suggested enhancements, and I might consider ATX again in future if the problems are worked out. It was an awesome program.

Too many angry inconsiderate posters. If you have suggestions, I will forward them while I am there. If you did not use ATX in 2012, I'm not sure what additions or changes you could suggest?? Suggestions forwarded to CCH is not an indication of what may be changed.

Good Luck Jack! Will be looking forward to reading your comments after the meting! Keep us informed please.

I will bring back as much information from the meeting as I possible can. I will share the recommendations I receive here with the same emphasis as if they were all my own. They WILL hear about them.

Stay tuned. I may be online while I am there. Their center has WiFi in the whole building.

• Like 1

WHEN IF EVER WILL WE BE ABLE TO KEY IN A ZIP CODE AND THE CITY AND STATE WILL APPEAR, IT SEEMS TO BE IN EVERY OTHER TAX PACKAGE FOR YEARS NOW.

This has pros and cons with Drake software. Sometimes two smaller towns have the same zip code. The program selects just one, which may not be the one you want. There is a fix, but it is needed so seldom, you forget how to fix it and spend a lot of time re-learning it.

I would like the format for the k-1 inputs (where you enter recourse/nonrecourse/capital/ etc. for 1065 and 1120S to be vertical pages instead of the horizontal line.

There does seem to be a bit of bipolar here... in the "Detail" pages for various items (interest, dividends, W-2's, whatever) some of them are horizontal format and some are vertical. I almost don't care which (although I do prefer horizontal) BUT they really should standardize on one or the other. It's more than a bit jarring to enter stuff (or double check prior entries) in one format and then have to turn your brain 90 degrees to check another type of information.

Jack:

I would like some improvements in the Return Manager:

Ability to track Multiple Status's across the period oftime the return is in the office. We have ONE Status block. Give us five to ten. So I can have the Date in, Date entered in computer, date asked client for info, Date Reviewed, Date Completed, Date delivered, Date Efiled, Date Final, etc. Let me control the titles..

Allow us to have the appointment Date and time on the Return Manager, so I can use the return manager to track appoinments, and then have those in the organizer.

Bring over formatting of the Client letter from year to year so I do not have to spend three hours recreating it.

Make it work on a network.

Allow me to save the "Dear "client name" formating from year to year.

Make all the "Jumps" work if you click on them. YOu ahve a number you don't understand where it came from and the "Jump" link doesn't work...

Well, that's a start.

Rich

• Like 1

Rich, ATX has always had the ability to customize the return manager. I had columns set up similar to what you've described for return tracking, and ATX also allows the user to delete any of the predefined columns too.

With the return manager open, click on the "Options" menu at the top and choose "Customize Fields". A box will open with columns currently displayed with check marks. It should be self-explanatory. In that same box, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see where you can add more columns and name them anything you wish. ATX also allows the columns to be rearranged in a different order also.

Sorry for the slight hijack, Jack.

• Like 1

Rich, ATX has always had the ability to customize the return manager. I had columns set up similar to what you've described for return tracking, and ATX also allows the user to delete any of the predefined columns too.

With the return manager open, click on the "Options" menu at the top and choose "Customize Fields". A box will open with columns currently displayed with check marks. It should be self-explanatory. In that same box, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see where you can add more columns and name them anything you wish. ATX also allows the columns to be rearranged in a different order also.

Sorry for the slight hijack, Jack.

In regards to this.....the customized columns should roll over each year. You have to rename them each year even though the prior entries roll over.

• Like 2

Surf ATX communities of course!

Walk the airport; good exercise. Not good if you're dragging suitcases though.

Drink your favorite beverage

watch annoying TV

get a book from the bookseller. do not get 'Game of Thrones' or you will do nothing but read it for the next few days and then rush out to the bookstore and buy the next 5. (Orlando trip this summer-walked 2.5 miles in bad shoes to get installment #2)

Surf ATX communities of course!

Walk the airport; good exercise. Not good if you're dragging suitcases though.

Drink your favorite beverage

watch annoying TV

get a book from the bookseller. do not get 'Game of Thrones' or you will do nothing but read it for the next few days and then rush out to the bookstore and buy the next 5. (Orlando trip this summer-walked 2.5 miles in bad shoes to get installment #2)

Study for my E.A. exam? Beat on the beta program some more? Free WiFi here with total access.

• Like 1