ATX Community

Overwhelming - just whining

jasdlm

I just went into the back room to grab a file. WHEN did all those people drop off tax information? Last week, my son was sick on Monday, and school was cancelled Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for snow. My husband is in health care, so I had to be the 'at home' parent during those times. I worked from home, but it's not very efficient when I'm the only parent around.

I lost a week last week, and now I can't believe the number of files that are 'in the queue'. Are people dropping off earlier this year?

I hate feeling this behind on 12 February.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 2

Mine are coming in early, probably to beat the deadline in my letter which is next month. Unfortunately, I've never seen so many missing 1099Rs in all my years of practice. Apparently the 2/17/14 deadline applies to these also. I try to get them to drop them off in my box, fax or email. I do not want to see people three or four times because I can't get a darn thing done.

• Like 2

It always feels like right now is the worst time of the season for me. All the clients who make it harder than it is are coming now. The people who THINK they itemize. Even though I have given up on explaining, I still have to listen to THEIR explanations, and go over the stupid $40 donation to Goodwill and wait while they decide on the value of $100. Or the people who actually CAN itemize, and forget to give me stuff.

• Like 4

Very Stressful!!!! I could handle it if they wouldn't waste my time calling to see if their taxes are done yet. That really freaks me out! They are definitely coming in faster than they are going out. The past two weeks have seemed like two months.

I have started telling people that each time they call, I move their return down by 5 in the queue. That usually stops the calling.

• Like 2

OP-

Before you know it, we'll have the "March Lull". You'll have plenty of time to catch up.

I used to let this get to me also...the last few years I've learned to put my needs first.

But, yeah...I find this part of the season very stressful.

Does not compute. March lull? No such animal around here. I don't have any that come in Jan, had 4 by the end of last week. Clients are starting to come in now and a few of the business year-ends. Almost all of my more difficult individual returns are done in March. I don't have any lull until late summer and fall.

I sorta have the lull thing in March. Fewer clients coming in to waste my time with chit-chat, but harder returns, and I feel so relieved. I have plenty to do, and more time to do it. Some days now, I feel like all I do is talk from 8 - 4, and start actual work at 4. People just don't know. I think they believe the Keebler elves are back there somewhere doing returns while they chew on my ear.

• Like 4

Me too. More clients dropping off earlier. And then sending in more documents! People that were on extension last year not wanting extensions this year. And, I've had a sinus infection that wiped me out for over a week of moving slowly. And more clients calling for me to explain their documents to them, because HR or the broker or whoever doesn't return their calls. I have them queued up via date dropped off (and move them when they send me more info) but also have notes about the fiscal year nonprofit due 15 February and the S-corp who needs his K-1s by 26 February and all those leaving in March on vacation and not returning until after 15 April. And the prior year returns (why more every year?) who I have in my queue but may get put on the bottom of the stack as they're already late anyway. I'm overwhelmed. With businesses due 15 March and most of my clients finally getting their broker statements later this month and then corrected statements in March and clients leaving for spring break trips in March and April, I have no lull.

• Like 1

To deal with the phone calls:

http://www.callruby.com/

Very reasonable and everyone who talks to them loves them. No problem signing up for 1 or 2 months so it's not like you're locked in. Plus they have an alternate phone number to call ME and can patch calls through if (under guidelines you give them) the call warrants it.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

I divide the season into three segments.

1. Jan 15 to Feb 15.....the early filers....always in a rush

2. Feb 15 to Mar 15....they aren't in a rush...but want a timely return

3. Mar 15 to Apr 15....the ones who have put it off, the ones with complications, the last minute people

Period 1....stressful...busy and coming off a long period of "not doing much"

Period 2...relaxed...nobody is demanding their refund "yesterday"

Period 3....stressful....but more "in step" with things...can handle it better....and plan to outsource if it becomes too much

DH has a motto....."Work smart...not hard".

Nothing is more important than your physical and mental health.

ETA....however...I only do personal returns

I divide the season into three segments.

1. Jan 15 to Feb 15.....the early filers....always in a rush

2. Feb 15 to Mar 15....they aren't in a rush...but want a timely return

3. Mar 15 to Apr 15....the ones who have put it off, the ones with complications, the last minute people

Period 1....stressful...busy and coming off a long period of "not doing much"

Period 2...relaxed...nobody is demanding their refund "yesterday"

Period 3....stressful....but more "in step" with things...can handle it better....and plan to outsource if it becomes too much

DH has a motto....."Work smart...not hard".

Nothing is more important than your physical and mental health.

ETA....however...I only do personal returns

I like your breakdown.

Mine is similar, with one MAJOR change.

Period 3 - Everybody goes on extension as the info comes in the door - no exceptions.

No stress, and Apr 15 is just another routine day.

• Like 2

I like your breakdown.

Mine is similar, with one MAJOR change.

Period 3 - Everybody goes on extension as the info comes in the door - no exceptions.

No stress, and Apr 15 is just another routine day.

I like your addition. In fact, I am actually going to use it this year. Last year I used 31 March as my cut off and that was way late.

Good move, Mike. Having a blanket policy avoids having to "ask permission" as Apr 15 approaches. And you don't have to waste valuable time negotiating with them during those golden days after Apr 1. The fact that an extension is filed does not preclude your looping back and completing some returns before Apr 15, but you are able to do that at your convenience. The extension just takes Apr 15 off the table as having any special significance.

• Like 1

That middle section is when the businesses need their returns and K-1s, when brokerage statements come out and then get corrected, when a few K-1s start arriving, and when clients go skiing or to warmer climes on vacation when their school kids have a February or March break. So it's just as stressful for me.