ATX Community

chocolate

joanmcq

These friendships and displays of appreciation are some of the best parts of this business.  I have a special relationship with one client, a nice older Italian lady from Long Island.  She sends me about 5 lbs. of pignoli cookies every year.  You've got to try one.  I visit her twice a year and drop off a bottle of my homemade wine that she and her now deceased husband loved.  

I had given them a commemorative bottle of wine we labeled for 9/11, and when the husband died some years ago I went to the funeral and in his casket was that bottle of wine with his arm around it.  He was first generation who loved this country.

Those chocolates, cookies, scotch, coffee, and goodies mean a lot more than something to enjoy, it's love, and we can really feel it in every bite and sip.

• Like 7

Nor me.  Lots of hugs.  Well, I do have a client who's been bringing me lunch for the past couple years.  She schedules an appointment at noon; we eat; I prepare her returns; I brew some tea; and we eat dessert.  The first year I provided some of the food.  But, she loves to cook and is single, so she's been bringing it all including homemade soup.  I just make us a cup of tea to go with dessert.  And, this year a couple of ladies who always come together made plans to go out to lunch with me after tax season (but, not sure if they're treating; I'll try to pick up the check).

• Like 3

I wash my hands a lot during tax season and take zinc.  When I seemed to have a head cold earlier, I told clients and did air hugs or nothing.  Handshakes are the worst for transferring germs.  I do hugs and arm around another leading them out and "bumps" and other touches that don't involve hands, just clothed body parts.  Maybe my hand to their shoulder or upper arm, something like that.  I have hand sanitizer on my desk for clients and the bathroom is the next room over for anyone wanting to wash their hands before or after.  Lots of drop-offs during flu/cold season.  Now it's more in person visits to sign and pickup.  But, hubby makes lots of deliveries for me (he has 37 years of teaching and building up immunity!)

• Like 4

While my only contact with the outside world this time of year is taking a break and going to the post office (nearly all my work is mail ins), I'm careful not to touch my face until I return and wash my hands.  Had the flu one year and that cured me to be careful.  I'm also a bit of a health nut with the exercise and fruits and vegetables and drinking grapes, that's right, wine. It's loaded with good stuff, and it kills germs, but wait until you're done punching numbers.  Works well with the telephone skills as it's very easy to listen to the yakking and helps you to be patient, unless you fall asleep. 

• Like 5