ATX Community

it's been a rough tax season

schirallicpa

5 hours ago, cbslee said:

Now, I feel really bad. This has the smoothest most trouble free tax season I have ever had.

D@#, I have probably just hexed myself !

You could have waited another week to say that for safety's sake, although I've been thinking same except for a few brief head bangers.   This is my problem week, they already started calling.  Time wasting April fools.

• Like 5

Without question, this has been one of my toughest seasons.  ATX has treated me very well though, the program worked well throughout the season and gave me no issues at all but the complexity of some of the returns has been one for the ages.  Just about another week of this and then we can throttle it back some! 

• Like 3

ATX has done well.  Just a couple small complaints there.  I have just had some PITA's this year - new start-up corps, s-corp with no basis, more out of state clients than usual, bankrupt clients with leins, client getting audited, new HUD loan for a client, 2 new attorney clients and you all know how they are, someone asking about women-owned businesses, sick kids, sick dog, sick me, now all this snow!  

• Like 3

I went into the season very tired already with all of mom's rehab problems (she's back to her own home and doing great now) and my ailing dogs. The returns have been mostly smooth sailing, picked up a few nice new ones, and no problems with software.  The biggest pain has been one of my largest C corp clients that is negotiation a sale and is driving me crazy with requests for information, calls for explanations and clarifications, calls from their business broker, calls from their attorneys.

• Like 6

Dead in the water for eight days with computer issues.

My town tried to evict us.

Does that say enough about what kind of season this has been for me?  And for real, the practice is going up for sale after 4/20.  I'll teach and keep a couple of low-rent or family clients.

• Like 7

Move your biz back home.  Don't tell the PITAs where you are.  Or, even the nice clients, if they have returns you don't enjoy preparing, boring, complex, out-of-state, biz, whatever you like the least.  By invitation only.  You'll scale back your biz but also have lower overhead.  Of course, you'll be here with us no matter what you do with your biz!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

Dead in the water for eight days with computer issues.

My town tried to evict us.

Does that say enough about what kind of season this has been for me?  And for real, the practice is going up for sale after 4/20.  I'll teach and keep a couple of low-rent or family clients.

Two words that have worked very well for me....PO Box.

• Like 4

Catherine, I have enjoyed your posts over many years and you've always been extremely helpful when others (including myself) have needed help.

I hope all your problems are solved soon.  Best wishes and best of luck to you.

Terry

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jklcpa said:

I spoke too soon. I just received my first reject in a few years, and it's one of my nice new clients that is a potential ID theft victim.  :(

Maybe a few of the new safeguards that the IRS put in place are helping.  My client called the 800 number for ID theft victims and was able to positively verify her ID with the IRS through their series of steps. The IRS rep told her that the new safeguards had allowed the IRS system to catch the fraudulent return before it was processed so that at least our gov't didn't pay out funds to a thief in this case. It's still a PITA for her with taking the add'l steps to try to protect her identity but the thief didn't win.

sorry to hear that Catherine - you are so knowledgeable and willing to answer... 

but then I am looking for a remote tax preparer for next year - would eliminate a lot of hassle for you and still keep you in the loop??? 

Contact me later if a tiny spark there?

D

Edited by WITAXLADY
correct spelling
  • Like 1

Well, the end of my season got a whole lot worse this afternoon. Husband went to the eye doctor for what he thought was a floater and was sent directly to an eye surgeon for a consult. He has a badly detached retina and is having emergency surgery on the eye tomorrow, must be there in the a.m. for a noon surgery, and who knows what time we'll get back home.

He called on the way home to tell me the news and I immediately cleared my appts and pushed most to Wed. When he walked in he told me that he has a follow up to the surgery for a recheck on Wed. I hope he can drive himself there on Wed, but I won't know that until sometime tomorrow afternoon.

The only good thing I can say about tomorrow is that at least it isn't the dog's day to have her diuretic!

• Like 6

This is my 4th bad year in a row.  Im almost ready to call it quits.  2013 I got caught up in the TRX debacle and had to convert to new software in early February.  2014 my new custom PC's mother board died on 12/31 and I had to send it back to California for repairs, got it back early February, 2015 & 2016 I have been battling sever health problems and the possibility that I could be hospitalized at any time.  Spent 4/18/14 - 12/8/14 in the hospital.  What a horrible year, but I got through tax season.  Although for 2014-2016 ATX has performed well.  At least thats a plus.  I keep saying next year cant get any worse, but unfortunately each year has been as bad or worse than the last.  Hopefully next year will finally be a good tax season.  On the plus side I fired a bunch of PITA clients over the past 3 years which has helped with my sanity.

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, jklcpa said:

I spoke too soon. I just received my first reject in a few years, and it's one of my nice new clients that is a potential ID theft victim.  :(

I have had one Identity Theft so far this year; one of the same ones from last year who had a PIN to file with.  We talked to Identity Theft yesterday and, yes, he was compromised, but they did not issue a refund to the culprit.  However, they won't issue one to my client either until he paper files.  He finally got his refund in Nov last year.   BUT, the gentleman that I spoke to informed me that the PIN program has been taken down because it is broken and is not working.  Imagine that!!!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Husband went to the eye doctor for what he thought was a floater and was sent directly to an eye surgeon for a consult. He has a badly detached retina and is having emergency surgery on the eye tomorrow, must be there in the a.m. for a noon surgery, and who knows what time we'll get back home.

That happened to my husband a number of years ago.  They basically tack-weld the retina in place with cryo-surgery (at least that's what they did for him).  He had to use icky eye drops for a week and he has to have a super-duper eye exam every couple of years.  He may well NOT be able to drive himself; the post-surgery eye may be covered for some time and most folks have a heck of a time trying to drive with no depth perception.

• Like 1