ATX Community

What are you doing new this tax year?

ILLMAS

I wanted to get an idea what others are doing new this tax year? For example, giving discounts, increasing fees, accepting credits, refund on a credit card, paperless filing, working less/more etc.... As for me, I will be doing a lot of reading to prepare for the EA exam, going paperless for my files only, and doing online back ups of my all files.

I wanted to get an idea what others are doing new this tax year? For example, giving discounts, increasing fees, accepting credits, refund on a credit card, paperless filing, working less/more etc.... As for me, I will be doing a lot of reading to prepare for the EA exam, going paperless for my files only, and doing online back ups of my all files.

Increasing my fees in specific areas. There are about a half dozen clients that I want not to return and am hoping that higher fees for their returns will do it. At the least I will make closer to what they "cost" me in terms of aggravation.

I've also re-vamped my data flow paths and set aside specific areas for newly dropped-off papers, in-process returns, and finished work awaiting pickup. All those places are off the floor for the first time, LOL!

Catherine

I decided during Christmas that I was going to pass the EA tests before the season starts. I passed Individuals on Dec 29, and I take corporations in about 10 hours. I do not feel as prepared as I wish but I must take the exam. If I lose the $101-102 that I paid for the exam, it doesn't matter. Why am I doing it that way? I passed the four exams about 5 years ago but I didn't file form 23, and I just felt like trying it.

I will also open a new LLC or S corp this year and open my doors on Jan 1, 2012. The new regulation about efiling doesn't affect me since I am pretty much in compliance. Not charging anything extra nor using any loans or credit cards for depositing refunds (Only bank accounts and paper checks on mail).

Time to go back to study. One question can a $102 difference.

I decided during Christmas that I was going to pass the EA tests before the season starts. I passed Individuals on Dec 29, and I take corporations in about 10 hours. I do not feel as prepared as I wish but I must take the exam. If I lose the $101-102 that I paid for the exam, it doesn't matter. Why am I doing it that way? I passed the four exams about 5 years ago but I didn't file form 23, and I just felt like trying it.

I will also open a new LLC or S corp this year and open my doors on Jan 1, 2012. The new regulation about efiling doesn't affect me since I am pretty much in compliance. Not charging anything extra nor using any loans or credit cards for depositing refunds (Only bank accounts and paper checks on mail).

Time to go back to study. One question can a $102 difference.

Congrats on passing the exam on such short time, not that many people can accomplish what you did :) Now I am more motivated to study hard and pass. Good job.

Marco

"All those places on the floor" sounds like me too, this week has been a clean up week before I start working on year-end forms and quarterly filings. By Monday my office should be clean and ready to go.

We're cleaning carpets, unpacking new office supplies, and organizing this weekend as well. It's a home office about 12'X14' - but it still needs a lot of cleaning...lol

I'm going to start efiling business returns, 1120S, 1065. Although I think I can only do Fed. I have been postponing this because KY isn't ready and the piggyback system isn't available. But I think I'll go ahead and efile the Fed and paper the KY.

Also, I've got to get myself more efficient with time. Stop wasting a lot of time going thru emails, snail mail, and other attention distracting things.

And I plan to sleep in a little later here and there. I think that will help me be more alert and more productive overall and get more done.

All of my last years' stuff is still on the floor. SMALL home office. Spent yesterday setting up second computer with program and backups. I did get most mail out this week. Sent out a lot fewer organizers and a lot more letters. Also, sent Engagement letter to several online as an attachment. I am amazed at how many and how quickly they replied. Must make a note to get more e-mail addresses this year.

My husband says that I WILL be charging more. I told him I would pay him to help me. He said, "If only I could!" as he doesn't know how to turn on the computer. However, he has graduated to a cell phone this year, so there is hope. I am not trying to make him sound dumb as he has his own business to run and has done it very well for 35 years; but all the paperwork comes to my office. Breaking son in gradually and he might actually be some help to me as he is very good with a computer.

Just got a call to come into work. Flu is going around. That shoots any headway today, but sideline job is helpful until the tax returns start to flow some income once again. Will be interesting to see what everyone else is doing to be more resourceful this year.

I need to buy two new monitors (printed my copies to .pdf last year). Have a new computer and the software installed. Bought office furniture off Craig's List, but it's in pieces in the basement and not likely to make it into my office until after tax season. Some heavy office clean-up in progress after tearing it apart for cords and new printer, etc. Will be raising prices a bit. Want to start efiling entities, but CT seems like it'll take me a while to learn. Already take all major credit cards, but QB now offers a way to give my clients a link on an invoice to pay my bank directly from their bank; no checks to take to my bank in the next town. Might offer that to those that "forget" their checkbooks. Have folders; need to order more paper and black toner for my new, faster printer for tax returns. Have an update course scheduled and am thinking about a couple of other seminars and webinars this month, but time is racing by. Good luck, everyone.

Now that I am no longer under my past employers contract, I have been concentrating on marketing. I have set up a website, sent out postcards, visiting area shops to post my flyer for employees and put up window signs on my car. I am hoping to regain some of my (350)past clients because my former employer has told them that I am now just a stay at home mom. The funny part is I saved labels of my former clients addresses that HRB gave me for marketing letters. Hope it works!

I got new business cards as I changed my office hours...

In addition to the business card stating "Your taxes done

at my convenience" I have added "office hours begin at noon".

My husband and I aged a lot this past year and I decided this

was better than retirement. I also let the clients know upfront

that we are taking a tour to Washington DC in March to see the

cherry blossoms. After 30 plus years doing taxes my clients are

just happy that I am still here. No, I don't take new clients either.

Guess I want to hang around long enough to pass the test to be a

REAL registered tax preparer!

Isn't that the truth????? 35 years here and I am still not fully qualified to be a paid preparer.

Well, there is a difference between _qualified_ and _credentialed_. After 35 years in the business, I should think/hope you are qualified! You just don't have the alphabet salad after your name.

Isn't that the truth????? 35 years here and I am still not fully qualified to be a paid preparer.

Well, there is a difference between _qualified_ and _credentialed_. After 35 years in the business, I should think/hope you are qualified! You just don't have the alphabet salad after your name.

Catherine, if they ever force the alphabet salad on us, I will be out of the game. Look at the example they are setting for us with thousands still not having received their PTINs; no plan in place for testing, etc. What kind of professional or organizational skills are those? How do we maintain our clients' trust when we cannot tell them WHAT or WHEN.....makes me tired.

Catherine, if they ever force the alphabet salad on us, I will be out of the game. Look at the example they are setting for us with thousands still not having received their PTINs; no plan in place for testing, etc. What kind of professional or organizational skills are those? How do we maintain our clients' trust when we cannot tell them WHAT or WHEN.....makes me tired.

There was a _wonderful_ cartoon in the New Yorker some time ago. Two guys in business suits; one says to the other, "These new regulations will fundamentally alter the way we get around them."

PTIN's and preparer testing will just change the way the crooks do business ("It will cost you SO much more if I go through all the administrative nonsense; so you sign the return as "self-prepared" and I'll keep my fee low." - I've heard variations on that from clients about prior preparers over the years). Much better to spend time & money finding, shutting down, and jailing fraudulent preparers. But no, they put the burden on those already following the rules. Why -- because we're easy to find! And we follow the rules, and pay the fees, and properly advise the clients - and the crooks have each done five fraudulent returns while we fought with administrivia.

* I am going to give the client copy on CD this year rather than paper.

* Purchased large 23" monitor (on Black Friday) to display stuff side by side (didn't have the desk real estate for dual monitors).

* Purchase high-speed scanner and document manager to capture and store client files.

* Request client emails and anniversary dates and use SendOutCards to increase retention and referrals.

* We purchased some new furniture for the office to upgrade the professional appearance.

* Add new services for small businesses, such as professional bookkeeping, merchant services (via CCH relationship with iTransact), set up HRA accounts for our clients, etc.

Looking forward to big things in 2011!

* Purchased large 23" monitor (on Black Friday) to display stuff side by side (didn't have the desk real estate for dual monitors).

* Purchase high-speed scanner and document manager to capture and store client files.

* Request client emails and anniversary dates and use SendOutCards to increase retention and referrals.

* We purchased some new furniture for the office to upgrade the professional appearance.

* Add new services for small businesses, such as professional bookkeeping, merchant services (via CCH relationship with iTransact), set up HRA accounts for our clients, etc.

I'm not really doing anything "new" this season. Tax prep for individuals is only a part-time seasonal job for me. Since my full-time job is with a machine manufacturer, my time and number of clients I can serve is limited. New computer was last year. I am making an effot this year to collect client e-mails to improve communications and hopefully send out letters and things by e-mail instead of expensive and relatively slow postal mail. I also did purchase a new snow blower to aid me in keeping my walk and driveway clear for clients. Other major improvements such as office improvement and furniture will need to wait until my daughter gets out of college in a few years and I am not so poor!

I was looking at that SendOutCards place online -- but wouldn't that come under the Section 7216 disclosure rules if you use it for existing clients?

I was looking at that SendOutCards place online -- but wouldn't that come under the Section 7216 disclosure rules if you use it for existing clients?

Permission is obtained (or opted out) by including appropriate 7216 language in the engagement letter.

With that said - I am curious, what tax information is being disclosed? Name and address can be found on whitepages.com for example.

Curious to hear other opinions on this. People love receiving personalized greeting cards! And I certainly want to be within compliance guidelines.