kcjenkins

POLL Should I shut up and go away?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Ari has complained about one of my NT threads. Do you think I should:

• Shut up and go away
    • Stop posting any NT posts
    • Post whatever, as long as it is clearly marked NT
    • Something else
  2. 2. Should we take the ATX out of the name of this Board?

I like your NT posts. I like my NT posts. And I like most other people's NT posts. If I see one I don't like, I just don't look at it anymore. It just isn't that complicated.

As far as renaming the Forum is concerned, it might be worthwhile to modify the name. It is an unofficial forum for any vendor of any product. That is by far its greatest strength.

It had its genesis with ATX users, yet we've always welcomed non-ATX'ers as well. Next year I think there will be MANY more of them, assuming ATX is still on the market. So maybe we should call it the Unofficial ATX (and other vendors) Forum - or someting more descriptive.

• Like 1

Considering that my threads have been deleted, crammed into one spaz a thon, and have been used by SPIES on these boards as BANNING THREATS on the "official ATX board". Yes I'm a little pissed. I thought this place was a place where one could come and vent. The people that led me here were people who went on the other board and called Kimmie and ATX management "LIARS AND THIEVES" and other very nasty stuff like the CCH pres should be hanged.....something I never did.

But now somebody on here is feedding BOBBIE1NJ information that is twisted either by him, her or both just so he can post these BIG LOOK HERE KIMMIE POSTS, LOOK AT WHAT FTM CALLED YOU, LETS GET YOU TO BAN HIM THREADS.

I DON'T RECALL CALLING KIMMIE A MONKEY....I REMEMBER JOKES ON HERE THAT HER PROGRAMMERS (DEVELOPERS) WERE MONKEYS. NOT THE SAME . BUT THAT IS WHAT IS BEING SAID ON THE OTHER BOARD BECAUSE OF SOMEBODY ON HERE.

I DID GIVE KIMMIE A TITLE "IBANUA$$" because she banned my A$$ . BUT HARDLY VILE.

SO MY POSTS GET DELETED, MY THREADS ARE REDUCED TO ONE THREAD, AND MY PALS ON HERE ARE HELPING THAT BUM BOBBIE TRY TO BAN ME ON THE OTHER BOARD.

THANKS A LOT.

KC, I don't agree with your politics all of the time, but I will defend the right of anyone to say what they think as long they say it without being hateful or mean to those who hold different views. I don't think I have ever seen you say a hateful or mean thing.

As for your comments, FTM, I don't know if anyone is pointing Bobby to your comments on this board but it is a public forum and he (or Kimmie) could just as easily read them for themselves. You don't even have to be a member to read the comments - only to add to them. I personally was rather grateful when your anti-ATX, anti-Bobby and anti-Kimmie posts were put in one place where if I was not in the mood for vitriol I could avoid them.

I stuck with ATX this year, and I can understand your feelings. It has been the longest, most frustrating, most time-consuming tax season I can remember. But sometimes I felt that you were a little overboard, and I was glad to be able to avoid those comments when I was short of time.

And most of all, I agree with RitaB. I love you all! And I love Rita's simile!

• Like 3

Considering that my threads have been deleted, crammed into one spaz a thon, and have been used by SPIES on these boards as BANNING THREATS on the "official ATX board". Yes I'm a little pissed. I thought this place was a place where one could come and vent. The people that led me here were people who went on the other board and called Kimmie and ATX management "LIARS AND THIEVES" and other very nasty stuff like the CCH pres should be hanged.....something I never did.

But now somebody on here is feedding BOBBIE1NJ information that is twisted either by him, her or both just so he can post these BIG LOOK HERE KIMMIE POSTS, LOOK AT WHAT FTM CALLED YOU, LETS GET YOU TO BAN HIM THREADS.

I DON'T RECALL CALLING KIMMIE A MONKEY....I REMEMBER JOKES ON HERE THAT HER PROGRAMMERS (DEVELOPERS) WERE MONKEYS. NOT THE SAME . BUT THAT IS WHAT IS BEING SAID ON THE OTHER BOARD BECAUSE OF SOMEBODY ON HERE.

I DID GIVE KIMMIE A TITLE "IBANUA$$" because she banned my A$$ . BUT HARDLY VILE.

SO MY POSTS GET DELETED, MY THREADS ARE REDUCED TO ONE THREAD, AND MY PALS ON HERE ARE HELPING THAT BUM BOBBIE TRY TO BAN ME ON THE OTHER BOARD.

THANKS A LOT.

I haven't deleted any of your posts, only consolidated them.

I didn't do it because I found them offensive. People were reporting your new threads as spam because there were so many posts made so frequently that were all quite similar in theme. In other words, my goal was to improve the signal to noise ratio in the forum--something that's even more important when so many people are having trouble with their software and trying to find solutions.

There's nothing wrong with sharing your feelings about ATX/CCH. Just don't :poop: all over the place while you're doing it.

EDIT: New emoticon added!

• Like 4

We had a couple of whipper snappers confuse this forum with ATX the software this year, I myself joined this forum because I had switched from ProSeries and didn't know how to use ATX. Most of us know the forum is for tax pros, but the name ATX does confuse. my two cents as they say.

I'd love it if we could hover over the thread title and get to see what the thread is about before making a committment. Nothing personal to anyone. I love you all. Like a fat kid loves cake.

There is an option to preview the content of a thread without loading the whole thing. It requires a click instead of a hover, but I think it does the trick.

When you hover over a thread in the forum, you'll see a little down arrow icon appear just to the left of the column that shows how many views and replies that thread has. If you click that, it expands to give you a little peek inside.

I'd love it if we could hover over the thread title and get to see what the thread is about before making a committment. Nothing personal to anyone. I love you all. Like a fat kid loves cake.

Aaaawwwwww really? You are so sweet! Some of the sweetest deepest love I have seen is a fat kid eating cake. But are we allowed to use that analogy? :)

• Like 1

KC, I am on the other side of the fence from you when it comes to politics and probably some other social issues. However, I know that when I meet you, for one day we will meet, I will sit down with you, drink a cup of coffee and we will like each other. We will talk about taxes and family and baseball and we will joke a bit and we will like each other.

We people in the US are more alike than not. All of us want the same thing in life: for our children to be healthy and educated, to have food in our bellies, a roof over our head, to have friends and family that love us.

I come to this board for the comaraderie of my fellow tax preparers. I get so much of the divisiveness of our country from other sourcess that I simply do not look for that divisiveness here.

• Like 8

Well said, Maribeth. I don't agree 100% with the politics on either side of the aisle, and I don't mind anyone expressing their view as long as it isn't a rant. I learned some things the other day from Catherine about the global warming debate that I hadn't heard from either party because the radicals on each side are too busy...well...being radical.

I enjoy the diversity of the group and reading all of the posts, and I love cake. :)

To Florida Tax Man, I agree that Bobby might be reading this forum for himself. Some of your posts made me smile, some didn't. I simply read most all of the posts and move on.

I don't really care if the NT posts are separated or not. Most of the threads end up somewhat hijacked and stray from the initial posted topic anyway. It makes me smile because no one here ever points that out or gets reprimanded for hijacking a thread that causes the discussion to wander off in another direction. Other forums I'm on, the hijacker might get blasted by other users or the moderators. It's refreshing to see that we bean counter types that are perceived to be sticks-in-the-mud aren't that rigid. :D

The name might need an update, but whatever it turns into, I'll be here. Thanks to all that participate and make the busy season a little more bearable.

• Like 3

I have been a member of this Board (and it's predecessor) the entire time I have had a practice. I think those who have known me during that time will agree that I don't 'sound off' or say things that are critical of others, but I am compelled to end that streak today.

In my mind, the topic of this thread (and the fact that KC had to post it in the first place) threatens the very essence of this Board. We provide invaluable advice to each other as colleagues. We support each other through tax and business challenges. We have also, however, been through deaths, illnesses, personal crises, weddings, graduations, birth of children/grandchildren, etc. I know as much about many of you - rejoice in your joys and cry with you in your sorrows - as any colleagues I have locally. It is the relationship that allows me the safety of asking questions about tax situations and trusting the answers.

It seems to me that every couple of years someone relatively new to the board tries to rock the boat. I am at a loss to understand why. I remember several years ago when a few new people complained because Jainen was too blunt in some of his answers and it hurt their feelings. Jainen left the Board for what felt to me like a long period of time, and that was an incredible loss to the community. Jainen had bluntly pointed out my errors a couple of times. I deserved it; I learned from it, and I'm a better preparer for it. I bring this up because it appears that now someone is trying to shut down KC's posts, and i fear a similar loss. Who do you people think you are? If you don't like the community and its structure, find another!

Positive suggestions for the betterment of everyone? Great! Whining because long-time, incredibly knowledgeable members don't do things the way you would - not so much. Please respect what is here and has been cultivated over many years. If you don't like someone's posts, don't read them. Every post is clearly identified, and it's easy to avoid those you don't want to see.

If I sound defensive, I am. I look back on the beginning of my practice, and I didn't even know what it was that I didn't know (and without Jainen and OldJack going into Professor mode, I might never have bought a clue). Without this forum, and some of the incredibly knowledgeable folks here willing to give FREE advice during the busiest time of the year, I would have made some mistakes early on that might have changed the entire course of my practice. This is a learning environment in a community that cares about its members.

Don't ruin it for the rest of us. I am a sole practitioner. This Board is my 'firm'. There are other Boards out there, but this one is unique.

On another note, I don't have an opinion about what the Board should be called; however, if it changes, I hope I'm on the 'notification' list! (Especially after this post.)

Thanks for listening.

d

• Like 9

KC, all kidding aside, you know, I hope, my feelings toward you. You have demonstrated expertise, compassion, knowledge and discerment. It's very possible some of the newer folks don't know the KC those of us that have been around awhile know. You do not need to change a thing. Keep on keepin on. You have demonstrated your desire to be a friend to the friendless - and that is enough for me.

I think the NT helps me avoid what I don't have time for that day. I wish the Software forum handled all the software complaints and questions; but that's because I'm here to learn about taxes and dealing with clients and the IRS and not to learn about ATX, because I stopped using ATX shortly after this board was born. I do think we need a new name so others understand this is a tax preparation forum and not one dedicated to using a specific software. I think a new name would help us gain new minds that are searching and answering questions re our profession and not new minds that just want a place to rant about ATX.

• Like 1

It maybe true that this is open forum and that anybody including Kimmie and Bobbie could come here. Not likely that Kimmie has had the time or desire to.

That bum BOBBIE did not come here. If he had he would have joined this forum, congratulated himself on finding it, and posted the same nauseating self serving self congratulating crap he posts on the other board. And he would have used this stuff at the time of writing, not now today.

Somebody on here copied it and is providing a lot to him since it was deleted HERE. So I can't check what he is saying in black and white but only go by my memory of the circumstances.

Nevertheless, he has stated on at least 6 different threads that I called Kimmie a monkey hoping to piss her off enough for revenge banning.

The fact that WONDER BOY even admits he had help from people on here is evidence in itself, as he hates to give credit to anyone else but himself.

SO BOBBIE HAS SPIES AMONG THIS BOARD.

"The forum formerly known as ATX"? ^_^

1. Yes, topics frequently stray from the original. I see no problem with that.

2. If I don't like a topic (or have no need for it in my practice, at all or just not right now) I skip it; so can others.

3. I feel safe here posting "dumb" questions, and also feel confident that the responses I get will be both correct and helpful (even if occasionally hard to hear).

4. People who disagree with the above have plenty of other online places to go hang out. Here's your hat and don't stumble on the way out.

5. NT means NT. Whether it's a joke when you're in a bad mood, or a political topic, you are warned.

6. If you can't keep your nose out of an area you _know_ you don't like, and get your nose out of joint, that is seriously not _my_ problem. Grow some control.

I love all my friends here, even those whose views I disagree with. And I think if we had a chance to just sit down and chat, we'd find far more things we agreed on than either of us suspected at the start.

I say every year -- and I mean it every year -- that I could NOT run my practice without my online forum friends as my backup.

• Like 5

And, I love all the people here, especially KC and Eric who provide a home for us all. I tell my clients that I am not alone, that I have my virtual watercooler of helpful and caring tax preparers. Just like at the watercooler, we're going to discuss business but also take a break and discuss NT. But, we're never going to tell someone to go away or even be rude -- because everyone's listening! (Mom & Pop might have to discipline one of us, though.)

• Like 3

Honestly I enjoy the NT Threads.

I think there is a lot of knowledge in this growing community and while some have been quite "vocal" about their feelings.

The moment we choose to censor what other people say is the same moment this place is no longer a community.

If someone is offended by what another person's says. They do not have to read their comments.