ATX Community

Taxed has requested that her account be removed.

Eric

It's official. We are off topic. And it feels great.

I think the "garra" reference meant Taxed was like a plecostomus, cleaning the algae off our posts cause we needed a clearer view.

Or it was misspelled, and we all looked up the wrong word.

Ever notice, vanilla extract smells like the tears of Jesus, but tastes awful straight from the bottle?

• Like 1

I think there is an informal usage of "garra" which is close to "bite" and implies "sharpness" or "edginess" or even "courage". It would line up with the English concept from which we get "biting commentary", etc.

Maybe Pacun will enlighten us with an explanation of the colloquialism and in which part of the Spanish-speaking or Portugese-speaking world it is generally used. I had never heard it before.

BTW, don't try to pronounce it unless you're ready to trill that "rr" forcefully.

• Like 3

What I know as running tax preparation office and insurance office, I hardly have time. But I always check this board to learn because most of the topics remain to the point. I am surprise that Taxed has lots of time on hand to answer every post sometimes more than once. Even though I wish her well.

I thinks this illustrates why translation involves much more than simply googling a word in a foreign language and finding what it "means". Meaning for many words and phrases is only derived by knowing the context. For example, if we say in English that a persons is a "hard case", someone googling the words outside the context might conclude they are a steel box.

In this case, it's pretty clear Pacun isn't saying she is a claw or a fish. So I'm inclined to think "garra" is a Spanish or Portugese word, typically used as a figure of speech, and is a complimentary term describing someone who is bold, courageous, or strong. Sooner ,or later someone knowledgable about the word is going to clear this up. The nuances of translation are generally more interesting that the simple word meanings.

"I think before clicking post, we should re-read our comments and be gentle with other people." Spot on, Pacun.

I once took a graduate course that began with live classes, where you sat side by side with your classmates, and then went to on-line for the last few weeks. In that portion we had to submit analyses of tax issues and respond to one another's work. The professor chose which analyses to post (anonymously) but all of the responses were available for all to see. Before this part started he lectured us about being constructive in our criticisms and kind to the people sitting in the same room with us that day. I guess he'd had enough experience with this format to foresee that some people used the opportunity to attack and deflate others.

What is it about the anonymity of the internet that turns some people into monsters? People who don't swear in their daily lives do so online. People who normally avoid confrontation embrace it online. Shy, introspective people become vocal antagonists. What worries me is the young people today who spend so much of their time on social media and so little in face-to-face human interactions. These kids many never understand what it is to be polite. Years from now a moderator won't hijack a post to scold people about their behavior because no one will deem that behavior unacceptable.

• Like 6

I can wiggle my ears, but not trill the rrrrs. I've heard it said those who can wiggle their ears never go bald.

BTW, it's impossible to hijack this thread, it's's all over the place already!

I didn't know there were people who couldn't trill rrrrrrs. As for the ear thing, I can wiggle mine, but perhaps I need to do it more to keep my hairline from retreating any further toward the back of my head.

• Like 1

I can't trill rrrrrr's either.

And while I'm here, you know what makes me want to murder people? Well, many things, but right now the phone calls telling me, "Hey, I'm working on getting my stuff together. I'll be in as soon as I do." One guy even dropped in to say that this morning.

Same people, 19 years and counting.

• Like 3

We are getting e-mails saying the same thing. "We should have our information ready for you in a couple of weeks."

And half of mine who call to give me the estimated time of arrival of January fall off the earth until March 10. Well, hey, am I happy to see you! NOW. On March 10.

I also love this one: Hey, I sold a lot and made $70,000. What will I owe?

Me: You will owe blah, blah, blah.

Guy: Do I have to report that?

Me: If you want me to do the return you do.

Guy: Well, I don't want to do anything wrong.

Of course you don't.

• Like 1

We are getting e-mails saying the same thing. "We should have our information ready for you in a couple of weeks."

I always assume those are just their way of touching base, making sure you are still in business, etc. It's sort of nice, really, lets you know they are still counting on you.

• Like 4