ATX Community

Like KC.....I will disapear

Elrod

This place is good to balance out the crazy in life.  I check it to break away from crazy and be normal, with other normal folks.  KC is not gone...

This morning's crazy is someone asking how to deal with an employee where they issues about 15% of their checks as negative.  Low pay, plus commission, with a \large employee selected health plan contribution.  My answer is there is no such thing as a negative paycheck, they need to clean up the mess they created.  If they do not want to fix the old "payments", then they have caused even more "pain" as the negative amount becomes taxable "pay" to the employee, magnifying their issue.  Cannot be a loan, since there is no loan documents, repayment terms, or interest...

Or the one where someone has been playing charge card roulette, failing each time, and is complaining that I will not keep playing.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Elrod said:

Goodbye All...........giphy.gif

Comes as a surprise Elrod. I have enjoyed your wit and humor on this board, including the hilarious pictures of your "Family Reunion" a couple of years ago you posted for us as we were going into the countdown to April 15.

I hope your departure is not due to any serous health or other issues. Wish you well and may God Bless you!

• Like 6

Illmas, are you giving out free advice on Facebook?  No wonder it's taking up so much of your time.  We are starting to set limits.  A client came in 5 or 6 times recently.  He was getting divorced and the attorney wanted this and that or said this or that and what did we think.  Recept finally sent him to me and told him there would be a charge and that he already owed us $X for his previous visits.  He walked out in a huff and said he wouldn't be back. Bye.  All he was looking for was free advice.  We had a client actually tell us once that he was asking us because the lawyer charges everytime he calls.  So why are you giving away your knowledge for free?

• Like 5

Social media, email, and texting are valuable resources for maintaining client communication, but only if used efficiently.  The intent is to keep the client out of your office and off your telephone so you can get some work done.  But if the time expended in answering client questions isn't already built into their fees, then anything beyond short, simple answers to basic questions needs to be handled appropriately.  It is easy enough to reply that the question is too complex, additional info is needed, or the matter requires a phone conference or sit-down meeting to tease out all the variables.  Otherwise you will find yourself in a quagmire.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

requires a phone conference or sit-down meeting to tease out all the variables

AND that there will be a fee for that conference.  I've found it amazing (not!) how many "problems" go poof! when I tell the client there will be a fee for researching the answer.  Of course, if it sounds like tax planning, I push for the conference - but toomany times yeah, they're looking for someone else to ggogle it for them and then interpret the results.  For free.

• Like 5

We started using a Client Contact Sheet last year and so far it's working okay.  If a client calls with a simple question--what should I put on my W4--I don't bother filling it out (standard answer:  Single, Zero).  For questions that take more time--what will my tax be if I sell this building, if I sell that business, if I gift the building--we fill out the sheet and file it in the current year electronic file cabinet.  In addition to recording the query and response, there's a place on the sheet for how long it took and what the charge should be.  We add it to the tax prep fee.

Interestingly, about half of my clients who take up 15 minutes of my time on the phone or come in for a brief meeting tell ME to charge them.  Do I have great clients or what?  (At least half of them.)

• Like 5

Elrod,

I've been a member on this site going back to the original site and I remember when you first started doing taxes.  I've enjoyed you humor & your wit,  I am truly saddened on your leaving.  I sincerely wish you the best.  May God bless you.

Terry

• Like 6

You all write such kind words....b0403.gif  I simply thought that since I retired, I was more of a nuisance to ya all.  This time of year, as I well remember, is a very stressful time for income tax preparers, and I am with you all in spirit.  After 38 years...I do not miss it.  I will bop in from time to time and and hopefully leave a...b0230.gif Or two....

Bless you all...   Elrod

Thank you....FNDY,   TAG,   CATHERINE,   CHRISTIAN,   DANRVAN,   GAIL,   J.B.,     FRAZZLED,   SFA,   NECPA,   MARGARET,    SARAEA,   and anyone else I have missed.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, FDNY said:

You're one of the best Elrod....will be looking forward to seeing the wide eyed chimp bopping in on us again.  Good luck in retirement, stay busy, healthy, and enjoy life my friend.

Bill

Thank You Bill...You knock those 1040's outta the park this year....Live long and prosper

• Like 3