ATX Community

NT Is everyone on vacation?

Margaret CPA in OH

An S-Corp dropped it's QB file through my mail slot today. Several clients have emailed that they will finally get me their information after labor day. I leave about 26 September for my son's October wedding (we volunteered to do the airport runs before and after the big day.) And, I haven't done my own return yet. Oh yeah, and several people want their ES recomputed before 15 September. Have the bride's family staying here next weekend while her matron of honor gives her a shower (wanted it in their old home town). And, my stepdaughter called today to set a day to go shopping for OUR dresses for the wedding and rehearsal and breakfast and other festivities...and shoes!

I'm here. Will be away from the office next week preparing for a cousin's reunion on my husband's side. However, I will not be away from the board. Try to check it every day, wherever I am. I, too, still have taxes to do, and I agree with you, Margaret, about missing the folks here. Thanks for starting this thread.

I was here, but gone by the time you started this thread. It has been quiet on the board lately though. Summer is traditionally slower, but this summer it seems like the work just keeps trickling in to keep me from really goofing off. Any one else noticing that we seem to be going to a more year-round mentality?

Absolutely! Just trickle, trickle. Suddenly, in the past few weeks, the phone is ringing a lot. People who have never picked up their returns, but have paid, suddenly "have to have them right away!" Must be lots of refinancing going on. Clients call to tell me that their baby has been born. Also, FTHB credit checks are trickling in (or not), and they call with that (good) news. Just got an e-mail this AM from another state from a client who suddenly decided that maybe he should be paying in estimates; which is what I told him in April. (His vacation just ended). All kinds of crazy scenarios which keep life from being dull. And, the CP2000's are stirring up panic attacks as usual. Thus is the nature of this job. Yes, it used to be pretty much over by the end of June except for payroll, sales tax and other mundane stuff. Now, it all goes on forever.

Now THAT's a slow week! Thanks, Taxbilly, for letting us know, otherwise we might think you, too, were on vacation and not reporting the really important stuff to us.

And I agree: I'm actually weary of the this trickle stuff. It isn't so much the extended returns, although that's like pulling hen's teeth this year, it's the other things that Marilyn has mentioned. Grrr...At least I've let go 2 corporate clients in order to begin winding down the year-round stuff but things still keep popping up. Like this client couple in Switzerland - I hope to get this done soon!

Well, I'm in the middle of purchasing an existing accounting/tax practice that will reduce my daily commute

by 40 miles. The loan's been approved, now I'm working on the info list that the bank needs in order to close.

Should be done with the transaction around September 15th. Looking forward to being my own boss.

Booger

I am here. The family increased by 2 (granddaughters), I am still dealing with doctors and cancer, but I feel great and trying to keep up with the new clients that need just a little help (little is not the word) more like lots of help plus getting the extensions done.

Is there an official word on tax preparers fees and registration? I have a PTIN for 10 years do I need to re-register? Just have not had the time to keep up with all of this.

It is my understanding that we will all have to re-apply and get our same PTINs back again starting in September. If we don't do that before the end of the year, I think non-enrolled preparers will have to take and pass the test to get the PTIN. If we do get our PTIN before the end of the year, then those who are not enrolled agents or CPA's will have the three years to pass the test. I have only been keeping up casually myself because I can't do anything about any of it yet, so I am concentrating on the things that I can do something about right now.

I'm here, I've got a bunch of extensions that I'm waiting for and way too many past years returns. I need to do research because I have to get a new computer and I hate it. It is such a pain to transfer everything and get my VPN set up again. I wish that I knew more about hardware, but I can only do so much. Going to Orlando in October. My 16 year old has been flying solo all summer, so I spend a lot of time, tracking him with the tracker in his phone, on flight aware and I finally broke down and got a Spot GPS tracker for him to take in the plane. The last straw was when he had engine trouble in Sioux City and his instructor told him to fly it back at 55 MPH, instead of waiting for someone to come get him. His instructor has changed his tune, since and he won't be flying in a broken plane again. That one has been grounded since his flight five weeks ago. I've aged about 10 years since his birthday.

BSTAXES, I am glad you replied. I had been wondering about how things are going. Congrats on the new grandchildren. Mine are growing too fast, definitely not babies any more. The 18 yr. old has to pay estimated taxes this year, wasn't happy to have Grandma give him that piece of information.

I was having palpitations reading about the 16 yr old pilot. Glad the instructor finally woke up. Too bad he doesn't have the instructor from my home town, that would never have happened.

I check the board everyday and decided people were either too busy, not there or had few problems. Good to read the reports. MM

Well, I'm in the middle of purchasing an existing accounting/tax practice that will reduce my daily commute

by 40 miles. The loan's been approved, now I'm working on the info list that the bank needs in order to close.

Should be done with the transaction around September 15th. Looking forward to being my own boss.

Booger

Congratulations, Booger!! Hope it all goes VERY smoothly. The lesser commute and being your own boss are each great things; putting them together will be super. Be warned, however -- once you've been your own boss for a while, it becomes next to impossible to ever contemplate going back to working for someone else.

Catherine