ATX Community

Where were you 50yrs ago 11-22-63

ILLMAS

High school English class.

JFK had visited our really small town on the campaign trail. My best friend's father was the ambulance (in case of emergency) driver parked by the stand where he gave a speech so we were within 50 feet of him on the dais. I really had little idea of politics at the time but it was exciting to be so close to a real presidential candidate.

Just under 3 years old, but that day is my earliest memory. The TV, my sibs trickling home from school and dropping to the floor in front of the TV, no one moving, no one getting up to turn on lights as it got dark. Too young to appreciate the horror of what had happened, of course, but I remember how stunning it was to me that no one was moving or talking or turning on lights, that dinner time came and went and no one cared.

• Like 3

At that time, I was working for the State Comptroller in the Dallas regional office. On the day of Kennedy's assassination I had gone to Austin to visit a friend. My friend was in the process of having a new house built and we went to see the builder. When we got there, the builder was crying and told us Kennedy had been assassinated.

• Like 1

I was at home, in Pasadena, TX, we did not own a TV, but I had the radio on, and when the news came on I walked to the store where Don was working. None of us wanted to believe it could happen here in the USA. Nothing much happened the rest of that day, because everyone was in shock and just watching TV and talking to each other.

• Like 2

I was at home, in Pasadena, TX, we did not own a TV, but I had the radio on, and when the news came on I walked to the store where Don was working. None of us wanted to believe it could happen here in the USA. Nothing much happened the rest of that day, because everyone was in shock and just watching TV and talking to each other.

In most homes nothing much happened for the next several days as entire families were glued to the TV and, as Jeanne said, mealtimes came and went. It was pretty much nonstop TV from the 22nd through the shooting of Osswald, through the lying in state and the funeral. I honestly think that anyone who lived through it and remembers it; has never felt the same. Regardless of political affiliation.

• Like 2