ATX Community

Do you procrastinate on difficult or long returns?

jasdlm

Everything, I mean every. single. return., is waiting for information.

Well that was my situation this weekend. Very nonproductive weekend.

And as usual today they all decide to bring in missing information and a whole slew of clients brought in their tax info because they wanted to make it in before the 3/31 deadline I told them was the cutoff for extensions. SHEESH!

Also, Im waiting for my last client of the day who was supposed to be here at 9pm but called at 9:05 and said she was running 10 minutes late ... Its almost 9:45!

• Like 2

Also, Im waiting for my last client of the day who was supposed to be here at 9pm but called at 9:05 and said she was running 10 minutes late ... Its almost 9:45!

I am impressed that you meet clients that late! I am sitting at the computer in sweat pants and barefoot. . . Eating nacho cheese doritos and trying not to turn anyone's paperwork orange.

I know I'm near the end of my rope . . . I'm really funny about food, and I cook/eat very healthy. My husband and son got pizza hut last night, and tonight I told them to eat leftover pizza hut (as if one night wasn't bad enough) and I'm eating Nacho Cheese Doritos.

• Like 4

I have about 50 of the most gawd awful returns in the hopper. No way to be done. I guess I will work on the other 35 that came in across the weekend. Not even sure to get those done but for extension I have to put a good guess in and send a little extra incase I missed it. Going home to have a beer and watch whats her name. Oh kelly. Did you know that 5 o-clock comes twice a day? Rant done.

I am impressed that you meet clients that late! I am sitting at the computer in sweat pants and barefoot. . . Eating nacho cheese doritos and trying not to turn anyone's paperwork orange.

I know I'm near the end of my rope . . . I'm really funny about food, and I cook/eat very healthy. My husband and son got pizza hut last night, and tonight I told them to eat leftover pizza hut (as if one night wasn't bad enough) and I'm eating Nacho Cheese Doritos.

My cutoff is usually 8pm but this is a "special" client, and not in a good way. I really need to reign in some clients. They think that because you work out if your home hours are flexible. This special client called at the beginning of tax season .... at almost 2am. Apparently, I didnt scare her away. Maybe the bill will this year.

• Like 4

Judy, it did stop snowing; in fact, the sun came out this afternoon. We may have more rain this week, but no more snow. So, shall I put clean sheets on the guest bed?

And, Rita, what's up with TN, anyway? Last year when I was preparing my first TN return, TN opened efiling. They must really be feeling their oats, because this year TN mandated e-PAYING. Now, my return is booked by investment banker grandpa for his grandson who turned 9 today. Kid doesn't have a bank account for direct debit, and grandpa's nor dad's names/SSN on their bank accounts would match the grandson's on his return. I'm going to email dad with his choices, and maybe dad will decide to pay the big $18 for his son at apps.tn.gov/etax. (Almost as bad as CT that puts refunds on debit cards instead of issuing checks.)

Hey, I'm actually printing out a return! That's done! Last bit of info came in. Whoo hoo.

Tonight is 'Blacklist' night, so I get to watch James Spader while eating dinner. Better get to cooking something, pronto. I'm still looking for that nonalcoholic bourbon though.

And, Rita, what's up with TN, anyway? Last year when I was preparing my first TN return, TN opened efiling. They must really be feeling their oats, because this year TN mandated e-PAYING.

Well, I hope the penalty is not too bad because I am having my clients mail the return with a check. That's the path of least resistance for me, and I'll deal with the consequences later. Guess I can feel my oats, too. I am not the only one doing that, and I predict next year we will see a TN250-V. Mumble, mumble, curse, mumble.

• Like 2

I guess the real answer to the thread topic, "Do you procrastinate on difficult or long returns" is being thoroughly answered by this topic being "HOT" for several days!

I am SO glad I'm not the only one....

OK, back to those nasty returns. Blech.

Today's news and excitement is that a client dropping off e-file forms this morning (yesterday pickup, wife at work at the time; he's 2nd shift) found a dead-and-torn-up critter on the front step. He thinks rabbit but from the size of what's left plus color of the fur I think chipmunk. Coyote would have eaten the whole thing; cat wouldn't have torn up so much -- hawk, maybe?

It is also our anniversary, and the last pistol match of the season. And it's sunny!!

• Like 6

It is also our anniversary, and the last pistol match of the season. And it's sunny!!

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe you got married during tax season. I have to ask . . . did you set your wedding date in a pre-tax part of your life? (Get it . . . 'pretax'?)

• Like 2

First to answer the question....YES! I absolutely procrastinate on difficult returns. Every year I swear I'm not going to do it because I usually find that they aren't as bad as I make them out to be in my mind once I actually get around to working on them.

My cutoff is usually 8pm but this is a "special" client, and not in a good way. I really need to reign in some clients. They think that because you work out if your home hours are flexible. This special client called at the beginning of tax season .... at almost 2am. Apparently, I didnt scare her away. Maybe the bill will this year.

This absolutely drives me crazy. Just because I work from home does not give people the right to call me all hours of the night and on Sunday. My husband gets upset because sometimes I screen calls if they come in at what I consider to be inappropriate times, but I don't feel bad about it. That's what answering machines are for, right?

• Like 2

I had a client come in today with zilch for bookkeeping. Everything in folders according to job. He pulled out one job and had paid $167,000 to sub-contractors. I asked if he had sent them 1099s. He looked at me like I was from another world. I said "You received 1099s, didn't you ever think that you might have to send some? Also, what happened to the promise that you would bring your bookkeeping in every month so we would be ahead of the game?" He said, "I dropped the ball!" He will be an extension for sure if I ever get around to even doing it, I am that upset! What would the rest of you do about the 1099s?

This has been a terrible day after working all weekend. Everyone who got called today to come in and sigh and pick up and, yes, pay..........had some dumb excuse to put it off until next week. And, I am still steaming about the ones who said they waited to call until they knew I wouldn't be so busy. I would like to procrastinate myself right to bed. :angry:

• Like 3

This has been a terrible day after working all weekend. Everyone who got called today to come in and sigh and pick up and, yes, pay..........had some dumb excuse to put it off until next week. And, I am still steaming about the ones who said they waited to call until they knew I wouldn't be so busy. I would like to procrastinate myself right to bed. :angry:

Go ahead and treat yourself to at least an early night. You will feel better tomorrow from it and be faster because of the extra rest, And look at your appointment book or program, and block out one morning or afternoon net week for a personal 'time out'. You know you deserve it.

<snip>

What would the rest of you do about the 1099s?

<snip>

I have a client -- another contractor, like yours -- who finally got me info for the 2012 1099's last November. I sent 'em out and e-filed them and charged him TRIPLE the usual price.

None of that happened until I had sent him numerous letters warning him about penalties for non-filing and late filing. I think this year I will have him SIGN one of those to keep in my files.

So do the 1099s and charge him double -- and tell him that next year you'll charge him triple -- and have him sign a letter that you write saying there may be penalties imposed that are not pretty and those are his responsibility. You can give him a copy for his records (not that he'll ever find it).

• Like 2

What would the rest of you do about the 1099s?

I have a client -- another contractor, like yours -- who finally got me info for the 2012 1099's last November. I sent 'em out and e-filed them and charged him TRIPLE the usual price.

None of that happened until I had sent him numerous letters warning him about penalties for non-filing and late filing. I think this year I will have him SIGN one of those to keep in my files.

So do the 1099s and charge him double -- and tell him that next year you'll charge him triple -- and have him sign a letter that you write saying there may be penalties imposed that are not pretty and those are his responsibility. You can give him a copy for his records (not that he'll ever find it).

Agree with Catherine. Create the 1099s and e-file them to be sure they are submitted. The IRS will charge him late filing penalties.

Brought it on himself.

• Like 1

I have filed late 1099's for the past 3 years for some client who won't bring them in on time. we have never received an penalty from IRS . I guess the day will come when they start enforcing the rule and charge the penalty

The day will come, yes -- and on that day, the first thing the client will claim is that you never told/warned him and so YOU should be paying the penalty. The higher the penalty imposed (and it can be $250 per recipient, to start), the louder they will scream. Which will be the time to bring out the signed paper...

• Like 2