ATX Community

Do you procrastinate on difficult or long returns?

jasdlm

I'm making myself do only 'stinky' returns today. Complicated returns, or returns where clients aren't very organized, etc. I'm only on my 4th return, and I've been here since right after Church :(. I need to find a better system. It's depressing when at the end of the day, your numbers aren't very good.

• Like 1

Sometimes I do... and/or "justify" it by working on a bunch of easy returns to "get them out of the way" except then the nasty ones are still there. Like you, I set aside specific times to work on the nasty ones -- but not solely those; it's too depressing.

A bunch of the "ickier" ones go on extension, too -- if I need to peel apart layer upon layer of junk, I don't want to do that against the April deadline or delay my good (organized) clients' returns.

• Like 8

Sometimes I do... and/or "justify" it by working on a bunch of easy returns to "get them out of the way" except then the nasty ones are still there. Like you, I set aside specific times to work on the nasty ones -- but not solely those; it's too depressing.

A bunch of the "ickier" ones go on extension, too -- if I need to peel apart layer upon layer of junk, I don't want to do that against the April deadline or delay my good (organized) clients' returns.

That's it in a nutshell. Today must be the day for icky returns. It took me most of the day to finish one and haven't even rechecked it yet. I created the situation myself because we came to the retreat for the weekend and I only brought difficult returns along. Not so gosh awful difficult like the one that went out yesterday with seven states; but something on almost every line, two Sch C, I had papers everywhere. This gal is really organized too, just so much stuff. (foreign exchange students, tuition credits, two homes in two cities with an office in each along with W2. Tomorrow when I get home, I get to wade through it all again, but after a short nap with my headache, I am about to dive into a new (from HRB) client with lots of investment stuff. YES, sometimes I do procrastinate on the messier ones, but it is getting too close to the deadline to dawdle and , oh what a relief when one of those gets wrapped up.

• Like 4

do my complicated ones on the weekend when no one is here to bug me. only phone calls are from my kids, and they have pretty much learned by now to leave me alone by this time of year.

Then on those days when I have headaches, (such as appointments) then I fly thru my easy ones. But by this time of year, all the good gravy ones are long gone.

• Like 3

But by this time of year, all the good gravy ones are long gone.

SOooooo True. It's very sad when tallying numbers at the end of the night. I have counted what I have left and divided by the number of days to try and set my 'per day' goal. I really want to be done by the 11th, but it's not looking very hopeful.

• Like 3

SOooooo True. It's very sad when tallying numbers at the end of the night. I have counted what I have left and divided by the number of days to try and set my 'per day' goal. I really want to be done by the 11th, but it's not looking very hopeful.

I do the same thing. I go thru and count then realize I can't get 10 done a day with the ones left and I start sorting who's going on extension. Which some of those take just as long to figure out what they need to pay for the 4868

• Like 3

I gotta go with Catherine on this one. I find it quite interesting that a number of us have the same thoughts or processes when it comes to preparing different types of returns. I too planned today for the ugly returns and even some that I didn;t complete because of needed research.

• Like 5

I finally cleaned up the QB for a partnership I have been looking at and skipping over. Aaargh. I really don't understand some people's logic when it comes to QB. i KNOW they are not accountants, but I would still think that logic would dictate.

I also now have most of my clients set up where I remote in to their QB file (through log me in, Radmin, etc.) and do my clean up right there. I gave up on clients making journal entries long ago. This has saved me quite a bit of time, because I don't have to go back and fix my previous year's balance sheet before I can move forward with the current year.

• Like 1

I pretty much do them in the order they come in, but if I'm frustrated by the growing 'need more info' pile, I might pull out an easy one that I know I can get done & make me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something!

And yes, tonight I'm slogging through the one with foreign rental, out of state rental, 10 different donations of stuff, and a foreign trust return.

• Like 2

YES!

I get at this time of year to eat the frogs first, then do easy ones...

Of the "stack", there are about 25 or so that are really nasty and ugly, and I need to do two of three a day, and then blow out 10 or so of the "easy" ones.

One last appointment today, and no others am I promising to get done by April 15th...

Rich

Yes, I put the pro in procrastinate, why do you think I'm on here all the time?

Seriously, I don't mind the difficult returns as much as the difficult clients. My late (not dead, yet) Realtor brought his crap in Friday. You know - the spreadsheets where nothing lines up and he only added 1/2 the column together, and he doesn't even know. Left an envelope taped to my office door this morning with his "corrections" and stuff he forgot Friday.

I sent him a text: Come back and get an extension request and mail them a check. You ARE getting a extension.

• Like 3

I am extremely frustrated today. Everything, I mean every. single. return., is waiting for information. I have processed all returns that I can, only one is pending a state ack. I can't do anything today except am making followup phone calls...again. :wall: I should shut the computer down and take a nap. At least that would be beneficial.

• Like 3

Sounds like nap time to me!! That _would_ be very productive.

I'm about ready to go off to the kitchen and bake some scones (promised my husband) and have that as an excuse to turn the oven on. We've been having ice-cold rain mixed with sleet and a few snowflakes all day, and this place is down to 65F again. That is just bleeping cold!!

• Like 1

Yes, I do! But, I tackled one return I dreaded on Saturday night. I knew it would take some time, and they were going on extension, but had to figure if they owed tax on federal or state level. Unfortunately, missing info on a house sale is not complete, so I'm waiting for that info, which will have a definite bearing on the final results. Anyway, one return I've been dreading, now on extension.

I am extremely frustrated today. Everything, I mean every. single. return., is waiting for information. I have processed all returns that I can, only one is pending a state ack. I can't do anything today except am making followup phone calls...again. :wall: I should shut the computer down and take a nap. At least that would be beneficial.

Come to my office. I will keep you entertained. I won't even give you 'stinkies' to prepare :).

Judy, I'll hire you for a week. I have a guest bedroom and bathroom. You can CHOOSE which returns you want to prepare! For full disclosure: it snowed this morning. But, the sun is out now.

Yes, I procrastinate. See how long it took me to answer whether or not I procrastinate! I get stuck on a stinkie but don't move on, or don't want to even begin a stinkie so don't start anything that arrived after the stinkie either or postpone proofreading a stinkie.... Over the weekend started pushing through some personal returns, finally skipping over the partnership and multiple trusts that I was delaying.

I think if we all took a pile of our returns and passed them to the person above us in this thread like a chain letter, we'd all get more done. (Jas, you can pass to the bottom of the thread.) It's easier for me to dig into a return I don't know than one I know will give me problems, whether missing info, or new issue to research, or lots of new assets to enter, or whatever.

• Like 2

Lion, I like the chain letter idea and would welcome a change of scenery, but no more snow for me. I need warm weather. No work done here today. I made those follow up calls, removed gummy balls from social security statements (RitaB, where's our annual "I hate gummy balls" thread?) scanned some sh*t ...err, client documents into the scanner for some of the unfinished returns, and talked to the little old lady that doesn't know how to read her investment statement or find her portfolio's holdings. She was reading to me from the 2012 sales(!) and I almost lost it with her. The only thing I accomplished was that 2 returns were picked up early this morning, and that person was almost 1/2 hour late, and the day went downhill from there. :poop:

I made those follow up calls, removed gummy balls from social security statements (RitaB, where's our annual "I hate gummy balls" thread?)

I have been keeping my sadness about those glue balls pent up inside this year so it can fester quietly. But, now I have to let it out: Gummy balls from Form SSA-1099 really slow down my rolling chair. WTF. (Well, that's fantastic.)

• Like 2

Lion, I like the chain letter idea and would welcome a change of scenery, but no more snow for me. I need warm weather. No work done here today. I made those follow up calls, removed gummy balls from social security statements (RitaB, where's our annual "I hate gummy balls" thread?) scanned some sh*t ...err, client documents into the scanner for some of the unfinished returns, and talked to the little old lady that doesn't know how to read her investment statement or find her portfolio's holdings. She was reading to me from the 2012 sales(!) and I almost lost it with her. The only thing I accomplished was that 2 returns were picked up early this morning, and that person was almost 1/2 hour late, and the day went downhill from there. :poop:

I have been keeping my sadness about those glue balls pent up inside this year so it can fester quietly. But, now I have to let it out: Gummy balls from Form SSA-1099 really slow down my rolling chair. WTF. (Well, that's fantastic.)

I call it stick-em-puckey.

• Like 1

This seems to have degenerated into a rant so, after today's adventure, I will contribute ( also after 1/2 pitcher of 1/2 price Margarita's at El Coyote with my best friend this evening). Client has American Funds three of which have Foreign Tax paid. Did client provide additional data showing total foreign dividends and total qualified foreign dividends? Of course not! Client referred me to investment firm. Liaison informed me about the contents of Form 1099Div. I informed liaison that I am aware of contents of such forms having a master's in tax and about 30 years experience reading such forms but no support pages were supplied. Liaison seems upset. I inform client that, if client wants correct calculated foreign tax credit, I need dollar amounts of foreign divs and foreign qualified divs. All I was provided was percentages. I offered client option of saving money (my time) by doing calculations himself as client seemed concerned with my prep bill.

Sheesh! I mentioned that we could go with Sch A foreign tax which would be unhelpful as standard deduction exceeds itemized. You choose. Next thing I know, here is client, I end up doing calcs, saves about $50 on tax (client happy), takes me about 45 minutes (not in my schedule and I am not happy) and now how do I charge! Arrgghh!

Glad for the Margarita's this evening although red wine is my usual beverage of choice. Knew y'all would understand.

• Like 4

We feel your pain. And I like that word "liaison". I might have called him something less appropriate after 1/2 a pitcher of Margaritas. Or just on principle. In defense of alcohol, I have done plenty of stupid things while I was completely sober.

• Like 4