ATX Community

Do you guys charge extra fee for old returns

I charge no less for prior years than current year. When I'm running late, I charge the same. When the client was late, I charge a bite more, making sure I take into account my time dealing with past info/forms/etc. (and, of course, more for additional forms/issues/etc. in those prior years).

A new client with multiple years, probably the same price, but based on what's in each year. But I'm not taking new clients except good referrals!

Schirallicpa charge them royally for your brain power and angst to go all the way back to the beginning of Covid.

• Like 5

I feel the same as Bulldog, but I do not take any new clients that are behind in tax returns until after April 15th, they have to go on extension.  If they are not willing to do that then they are not the client for me.  I feel like the clients that keep up on their returns in a timely manner deserve to be taken care during the regular tax season.  For the most part that has worked out well for me, however there is ALWAYS exceptions. 

• Like 6

So maybe the "normal" fee for the actual return, and to set the bar for hopeful retention, and some sort of likely "catch up" fee for getting and dealing with any earlier information needed, onboarding, etc.

When I took outside payroll clients, that is what I was doing as well, a regular ongoing fee and a fee for setup.

Prior year returns get my current-year rates, adjusted as always for complexity of the return in question. Won't even look until after 4/15 or they can go elsewhere. Have a new one this year, two amended returns, sent by his brother who is handling their now just-passed mother's final return. He's fine with waiting until May, after discovering an error for 2021 & 2022 (thanks, TTx - the gift that keeps on giving). 

• Like 6

Ahem, I take offense at the title "You Guys."  Many posters here are not guys.  Did you only want the guys to answer?Now that I've moved to the South, I've taken a liking to the term y'all.  It's gender neutral, respectful to both old and young, and sounds friendly.  I used to think it was slang until I read some linguists' take on it and I'm now with them.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Catherine said:

TTx - the gift that keeps on giving

Ain't that the truth!  I used to say, (%'s that have always held true), "50% of all self-prepared returns, I have ever seen, are wrong.  And 90% of them were wrong in the IRS's favor."

• Like 3

I'm with Bulldog Tom and Lion. No matter the year being prepared, if it is current work it is charged at my current rates. If the clients are late because of procrastination or disorganization, then they are paying more for that because I raise rates each year, and if the work involves me working even more on it because of that disorganization, again a higher fee will be the result. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

Ain't that the truth!  I used to say, (%'s that have always held true), "50% of all self-prepared returns, I have ever seen, are wrong.  And 90% of them were wrong in the IRS's favor."

I've also seen 50% wrong. But I've seen 90% in the client's favor. The woman who baked and took her entire country kitchen as OIH, saying it's 25% of her house; and then using .25 as the depreciation factor instead of 0.0256 or whatever it is, depreciating in 4 years instead of 39 years, but continuing to depreciate on her DIY return. The man that drove 90,000 biz miles in prior years, meaning he drove 360 miles a day and had no time to actually work (CT's small with old roads, long rush hours, and slow speeds during prime drive times). Those that claim their parents who probably make too much to qualify as dependents, because CT homes in Fairfield County are pricey with high property taxes and large oil heat bills, so don't get me started. Those that failed to start with Federal AGI on nonresident state returns, so their tax bracket was too low. Huge "cash" donations that were actually in-kind and likely not FMV, as well as needing to be on 8283 with details, such as the guy who gave away $10,000 of computers EVERY year. At least I'm not seeing those huge unreimbursed employee expenses on DIY returns now.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 10:43 PM, Sara EA said:

Ahem, I take offense at the title "You Guys."  Many posters here are not guys.  Did you only want the guys to answer?Now that I've moved to the South, I've taken a liking to the term y'all.  It's gender neutral, respectful to both old and young, and sounds friendly.  I used to think it was slang until I read some linguists' take on it and I'm now with them.

wow

• Like 5

On 3/23/2024 at 10:43 PM, Sara EA said:

Henceforth, I shall either use ladies and gentlemen, or peeps.

• Sad 1

You'll still see me using guys or folks. Both, to my mind, are utterly generic - like Kleenex is a tissue, rather than a brand. Y'all is a regional term that I've heard people being castigated for appropriating when they are not from the South.

Tough noogies. I got no patience for thin skins when we're all just trying to help each other out, and find getting offended to be offensive.

• Like 4

No offense taken.  I've always resented being included among "you guys," perhaps because after growing up in a household of three girls, my own family was all male (even the cat).  I did not want to be included with those creatures that eat over the sink, miss the toilet, and think armpit burps are hysterical.  I was just trying to inject a bit of fun into the decidedly unfun days we are all having right now.  EVERY return I started today had things missing.  Grrrrr

• Like 4

On 3/25/2024 at 10:02 PM, Sara EA said:

EVERY return I started today had things missing.  Grrrrr

And I busted my hindquarters all afternoon on Monday and got abso-bleeping-lutely nowhere. Might as well have gone to the movies. And I detest movie theaters!

Anyone else so fed up with this season that there is just nothing left to give? Everything from all my clients is in more disarray than prior years - and by a lot, not a little. I have come so close in the last several days to telling a raft of clients just what I think of them at the moment that it's not funny. Maybe I ought to stop answering the phone for a few days.  

• Like 4

My clients so far have been reasonable but a few - the few - seem to take offense when I ask about missing document X and list of Y expenses.  And get annoyed when I have to remind them again after they inquire as to the return status.  Just a few cranky folks can spoil the day.  Then there are the super nice ones who express real gratitude - they are a gift.

• Like 4

On 3/23/2024 at 9:43 PM, Sara EA said:

Many posters here are not guys.  Did you only want the guys to answer?

Sara, I think so.  The guys are always the smartest, and give the best advice anyhow.  Wimmin folk have some nerve thinking they are smart as the min.  Stay in the kitchin where you b'long.  Boil us up some bacon and some beans.  Throw another log on the fire...  

• Haha 1