ATX Community

ATX CLOSED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER???????

GeorgeM

Here's what was posted today on the ATX Blog:

Weather Alert- Customer Care Staffing (Wed and Thursday)
Updated 1:00pm Wednesday Jan 29

Wednesday we are open 8am to 5pm with a very limited staff.
Thursday, we plan to operate those same hours.

Due to the weather state of emergency in Georgia, we are short-staffed and are moderating the flow of incoming calls. Before contacting Customer Care, we strongly encourage you to use the following tools on the support site
  • Return Query
  • Blog
  • Knowledge Base
  • Efile availability chart (for state deliveries)
Thank you,
CCH SFS Customer Care

Keep in mind they don't get snow and ice very often and do NOT have the equipment to deal with it. What would be insignificant here in the northern states is a huge deal in places where there are no highway dept piles of sand/salt mix, no trucks to spread it, no plows on stand-by...

• Like 2

I heard on the news the authorities were requesting that no nonessential trips be made, as in stay off the roads. Ice storms are nasty at any time, and when people have no experience driving in it....

My sister lives outside of DC and one of her running jokes is how no one down there knows how to drive in snow (we grew up in Pittsburgh and had a lot of experience). the Maryland border is where at least until recently, the 'snow line' was; north of there, snow. South of it, clear roads. Of course, DC is getting quite a bit of snow experience the last few years.

It happened one time while I worked there (Caribou office). We had to start late after getting 20+" of snow over night.
The roads were clear, but we couldn't get to the building without digging a tunnel.

We have friends in Kennesaw which is where ATX is and it took him 4 hours to go less than a mile. Traffic was really piled up.

"Piled up" probably literally.

Here are a few photos from Birmingham Alabama. Almost makes you feel sorry for insurance companies. Just kidding, nothing makes me feel sorry for insurance companies.

• Like 4

The whole city panicked and left work early to go home. This caused massive gridlock. Add that to the already unusual snow and ice and you have a people panicking and not thinking calamity of the large type.

The problem is less about the city not being equipped to handle the snow and ice and more about people not thinking past the next 20 minutes. Common sense would have said: "Why not go back to the office and wait this out?"

We have the same kind of reaction here in my hometown when snow is predicted. People flood to the stores. Milk, bread, eggs and all fresh meats are gobbled up on large quantities. In less than 12 hours before a snow, those items are almost totally gone from the stores. We have had that happen 4 times so far this winter.

We go to the grocery once a week, and have not changed our routine. It was kind of sketchy when our day to go was the day before a "major" snow was predicted. (It snowed 4 inches over 2 days)

When snow is predicted, it seems everyone, everywhere runs to the grocery store (it definitely happens here in the suburbs of Philadelphia.) My question is this, when was the last time we had a snow event that cut-off our ability to get to a grocery store within two or three days of the snow ending (and that is being generous)??? I can't figure out why people panic when they hear "snow."

It happened one time while I worked there (Caribou office). We had to start late after getting 20+" of snow over night.

The roads were clear, but we couldn't get to the building without digging a tunnel.

"Piled up" probably literally.

Here are a few photos from Birmingham Alabama. Almost makes you feel sorry for insurance companies. Just kidding, nothing makes me feel sorry for insurance companies.

I'm about 60 miles northeast of Birmingham and I have to walk to work every day in the rain, snow or blistering sun. Its at least 50 feet from my front door to my office.

• Like 4

When snow is predicted, it seems everyone, everywhere runs to the grocery store (it definitely happens here in the suburbs of Philadelphia.) My question is this, when was the last time we had a snow event that cut-off our ability to get to a grocery store within two or three days of the snow ending (and that is being generous)??? I can't figure out why people panic when they hear "snow."

What I don't get is every time it snows the news shows how hardware stores can't keep up with the demand for shovels.. Do people think they are disposable and only good for one snow? Do they think with global warming they will never need a shovel again? I have the same shovels that I bought 16 years ago when I bought my house. I did add to my collections as my children grew and needed bigger shovels to help out.

• Like 1

I've been here in TN for 3 years now and they shut everything down from just 1 inch of snow. I 've seen a snow truck run off the road and the car that was tailing him. I've lived in Chicago for most of my life so it tickles me when the public panics over the snow. The southern states are not equipped to handle it though.

People here in MA started panicking after the big blizzard in '78 when the whole state was shut down for a week. I don't get it, myself -- we all have plenty of food in the pantry or cabinets (although possibly not people's favorites - whoopee).

As far as the shovels go -- they do break! We replaced a bunch of them after last winter that were well past their "use by" date, and this winter bought another because the one we leave out front for the front walkway has a crack in it. One of these shovelfuls and it's going to let go, and then we'll need the new one that's waiting.

• Like 1

I have a friend that lives in a suburb of Atlanta, born and raised in Chicago. She said one thing that compounded the problems was the fact that it was 60 degrees near Atlanta on Monday and the ground was very warm. The snow that fell melted somewhat before it froze and turned all the surfaces into an ice rink. I saw on the news earlier today that it didn't go above 30F today in Savannah.

My friend in Fairbanks, AK is also complaining because it is too warm there, got up to near freezing instead of the always being well below zero. Their snow that is usually very dry is turning to slush on the roads and is making for very dangerous travel there as well.

One factor no one has mentioned in the Alabama problem is that unlike most southern snowfalls, which when they do happen it's usually at night. So people stay home for a day, and then the roads are usually pretty good by the next day. This time, it started in the middle of the day! So people were at work, kids in school, etc. When they realized it was going to be a problem, folks rushed, or tried to, to pick up the kids or get home, etc. And ended up with those horrible road jams.

1WtWZu2.jpg

trafficmap.photoblog600.jpg

THE RED ROADS ARE THE ONES CLOSED DUE TO THE SNOW

628x471.jpg

The problems at their airports extend all over the country. My son, works here at Delta, came home and said how sorry he feels for the passengers the past few days. (He doesn't normally feel too sorry for them, because he gets yelled at so much.) Even now that they are thawing out down there, the flights out are still clogged up. They had many planes coming into Omaha five or more hours late and then the planes couldn't go on, because the crews had been working for so long and they would have to book them on another flight or airline, only to have those flights get cancelled too. A lot of his friends fly for regional airlines and they are having a terrible time trying to get on flights to commute to where they are supposed to fly out of.

AL has 7-lane highways? I don't think I've driven on a 7-lane road in my life. (The bridges into NY are only 6, right?) How do you maneuver to your right hand exit?

People in New England also go nuts, leave work early, hit the grocery stores, etc. every time it snows. I think, though, that those in the South don't have the cars for it. I knew someone from New Mexico who moved here and had a Jeep that didn't have 4-wheel drive. I didn't think Jeep made such a thing, but I guess they do for people who don't do off-road driving and live in flat New Mexico. Up north, we always check our tires around October. If it looks like they have just a few months wear left, we replace them before the snows come. I'll bet in the south they don't even think of it and run those tires until they're absolutely worn.

I avoid grocery stores when snow is forecasted. I know there will be no where to park and everything will be gone anyway. I've seen the meat counter picked so clean all that was left was liver. I'll pick up milk and bread at the convenience store in my small town--never a line there or a run on perishables. There's always meat in our freezer, but if we're really snowed in I'd prefer to skip the meat and make a pot of soup. The one place you'll catch me in line is the gas station. A full tank adds weight to the car and thus aids traction, plus you never know when you'll get stuck behind a jam and need to run the heater for a long time.

I too always wondered about the run on snow shovels. Like Michaelmars, we've had the same ones forever. We did add a couple of the lighter-weight plastic ones, and those do wear but they're good for at least a few seasons. What we're seeing a run on right now is windshield washer solvent. We've been having light (1-6 inches) snows every few days and all the salt on the roads gets kicked up by every passing car. Do people in the south even have washer solvents that are good below freezing temps?

AL has 7-lane highways? I don't think I've driven on a 7-lane road in my life. (The bridges into NY are only 6, right?) How do you maneuver to your right hand exit?

People in New England also go nuts, leave work early, hit the grocery stores, etc. every time it snows. I think, though, that those in the South don't have the cars for it. I knew someone from New Mexico who moved here and had a Jeep that didn't have 4-wheel drive. I didn't think Jeep made such a thing, but I guess they do for people who don't do off-road driving and live in flat New Mexico. Up north, we always check our tires around October. If it looks like they have just a few months wear left, we replace them before the snows come. I'll bet in the south they don't even think of it and run those tires until they're absolutely worn.

I avoid grocery stores when snow is forecasted. I know there will be no where to park and everything will be gone anyway. I've seen the meat counter picked so clean all that was left was liver. I'll pick up milk and bread at the convenience store in my small town--never a line there or a run on perishables. There's always meat in our freezer, but if we're really snowed in I'd prefer to skip the meat and make a pot of soup. The one place you'll catch me in line is the gas station. A full tank adds weight to the car and thus aids traction, plus you never know when you'll get stuck behind a jam and need to run the heater for a long time.

I too always wondered about the run on snow shovels. Like Michaelmars, we've had the same ones forever. We did add a couple of the lighter-weight plastic ones, and those do wear but they're good for at least a few seasons. What we're seeing a run on right now is windshield washer solvent. We've been having light (1-6 inches) snows every few days and all the salt on the roads gets kicked up by every passing car. Do people in the south even have washer solvents that are good below freezing temps?

People in the south don't think about how much our tires are worn because the steel rims on the horse-drawn wagons we all drive never wear out. Wen we need extra traction in the muddy streets, we just throw a few bales of hay and some jugs of moonshine in the back of the wagon and wrap some barbed wire around our bare feet. We don't know anything about freezing temperatures because we all lie around snoozing in the hot sun all day.
  • Like 3

We have the same kind of reaction here in my hometown when snow is predicted. People flood to the stores. Milk, bread, eggs and all fresh meats are gobbled up on large quantities. In less than 12 hours before a snow, those items are almost totally gone from the stores.

It is a known fact that the #1 comfort food in a snow storm is French Toast. Thus the need to run out and buy milk, eggs, and bread.

• Like 3