ATX Community

ATX Community Shutting Down

Eric

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with the other posters - bad form, Erc! If it was anybody but you, there probably would have been a lynching. I can only think of one other April fool's joke that I bought hook, line and sinker even more than this one and that one occur over 3 decades ago and my wife was the pertitrator. You are in good company, Erc. I will share that other joke at another time and place. But for now, I have to go get some sedatives. Be still my heart! :)

Oh - BTW - thanks for the diversion. I would guess that we all needed that!

Some folks sure know how to have, uh, fun! This was especially clever given the ugly history which brought about this community. I just couldn't/didn't want to believe it could possibly happen again.

Please be kinder to those of us of a certain age, though. We tend to shock easily!

That was my thought as well. Some of us know how dreadful it is to lose your contact with your support group right at the end of the tax season........ I got a little sick to my stomach when I read the posting. I am a faithful reader....sometimes poster and love this site. I sure didn't want to lose touch with everyone again. Can we say panic?! Naughty boy!! But....thank goodness for April Fool jokes ;~)

Ya sure got me!

So I get an e-mail last night at 10PM from what looks to be a legit CCH e-mail saying they want me to give up the atxcommunity.com domain.

My first response was a reply asking if it's an April Fool's joke, but it really did look like it came from CCH, and I didn't get a response, so I was left to wonder about it.

If it turned out to be real, I was ready to tear the guy a new one for trying to pull your community out from under you folks at the end of tax season AGAIN.

But as it turns out, it WAS an April Fool's joke. From what I understand, KC and Bulldog Tom put Kyle up to it! I guess I had it coming :blush:

You guys were thiiiiiiiis close to getting moved to www.taxcommunity.net :P

I must say, that was a good one. I'll think twice before messing with you guys again, haha

Thank you Kyle. I wish you had thought to record the conversation on the phone so it could be posted here. Eric is a great man, and we all owe him a lot for what he did in putting this community together. But he needed to get paid back for what he did to us yesterday.

Can you from memory give us a blow by blow of the conversation?

Tom

Lodi, cA

Wait a minute! That means Kyle's a double agent. :ninja: You guys have too much time on your hands in these long winters! Come down to CT and help me prepare fifty more returns by the 15th. That'll keep you out of trouble!

No, I am not a double agent, we just have great programmers and lots of time :)

Tom - The call was recorded. I will see if I can upload it.

Call recording could not be uploaded because it has an invalid file extension of .wma. I am going to try and get in touch with Eric shortly to see if he can upload it for me.

NOTE: **'s were added to stop key words being picked up on web searches.

Copy of email is listed below:

To Eric Brissette, owner of the UnOffical ATX Community:

We have been curiously observing your on-line forum for some time now. It was first brought to our attention by a small group of tax professionals who thought this unofficial site was related to C*H S*all F*rm Se**ices. Upon investigation of this matter, we now feel it is time to initiate contact.

There have been numerous discussions between our firm on what our course of action should be. Normally, our first approach is offering the rare opportunity to officially withdraw your ownership of this domain, as it inherits copyright infringements (i.e., FSA# 218-99 Sec. 28A of the Federal Submissions Act).

Your cooperation in this matter is expected, as we are prepared to take legal action within the next 10 days. If we do not hear from you within time given, this next step is guaranteed.

Feel free to contact me personally by phone and/or responding to this email.

Thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter.

Best,

R. Baldwin

Now that I've just read the email and highlights of the phone conversation, it is just funnier than ever. I can just picture it. It's even better that it came from Kyle back at Eric, instead of from KC and Tom. Something about a pink t-shirt and magic wand comes to mind....

Thanks for the laugh.