ATX Community

NT What is your commute time?

ILLMAS

My office is a mile from my house.  I usually work shifted hours because of traffic; 10AM to 7PM - at which time, it's about three minutes in either direction.  If I tried to get here at 8AM, it would take at least an extra fifteen minutes due to the backup at two nasty left turns (even though I go right at one of them).  On the rare occasion I have left at 5PM, I can sit at the end of the parking lot for 4-5 minutes waiting for traffic to clear to let me turn out - but the way back only has one less-than-nasty left so that doesn't take more than ten minutes.  Two winters ago, when the snow piles were too high to see safely at the corners, I took the (very!) long way around and that's an easy fifteen minutes with traffic, lights, and extra distance - it takes a route around a golf course and conservation land, so it's more like 5-6 miles.

• Like 2

A few seconds to walk to my home office.  I do NOT get dressed first, just add a sweatshirt and slippers to my jammies.  When clients are expected, I do dress!  But, I don't have to open the door to unexpected clients, because I have a large mail slot in my front door for drop-offs.  Also, I have a couple biz clients where I go to their site and wear clothing.  Those trips, which vary from weekly to monthly, are 20-35 minutes long, barring construction, accidents, etc.  I time those for afternoon or late morning arrivals and departures in the evening after the thick of rush hour, and can drive to one of those sites entirely on back roads.

• Like 4

Also, my preference has rubbed off on our kids.  One just moved to a three minute walk from his office (he can see it from his apartment) because the 2 hours a day on a nearly free bus was wasted time for him, and the one is about ten minutes from his place of work.

My parents had more than an hour each way for most of my youth... latch key was not something I wanted to continue.

• Like 4

60 miles - an hour and 15 minutes on non-snow days; an hour and a half with weather.  Up until 2 and a half years ago, I had a 5 to 7 minute commute.  But in anticipation of retiring someday, we moved to a piece of God's country.  Believe it or not, being there at the beginning and ending of the day makes the commute tolerable.

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Looks beautiful.  Why don't you wean your clients to more remote methods so you can work from home, or closer to home?  And, sit in your yard when the bears are willing to share it with you?!

Thanks! It is more beautiful than the picture portrays!  And we (my wife works here with me) are trying to spend more time there.  I hired a part-time CPA to be in the office when I am not.  Tax season has me here 5 days per week, but after April 15th, we will be in the office just two or three days per week.

• Like 3

1.5 miles, 4 stop lights and it can take anywhere from 4-8 minutes.

Really burns my britches when it's 8 minutes too. I drive it 2x per day each way because I go home for lunch.

My grandfather was a farmer and when we were talking about our commutes one day he commented it took him 2 hours to commute some days.

30 minutes at the hardware store.

30 minutes at the coffee shop.

30 minutes at the grain elevator.

30 minutes back at the house tell my grandmother all the news and THEN he finally arrived at work.

Longest mile ever.

• Like 9

1 mile. 3 to 6 minutes.  4 stoplights.  I'm with Roberts.  'Really Burns My Britches' when it's 6 minutes.  That is hilarious, Roberts.  I'm going to file that away for future use!

My grandfather was and father still is exactly on your grandfather's commute schedule!  I'm from KS, but sounds like we have the same sort of hometown situation.

• Like 3