ATX Community

Where are they?

ILLMAS

I usually have my staff start calling sometime this week with a message along the lines of 'we are assuming that you have gotten your taxes taken care of, but if you need us to file an extension, let us know'.  Usually brings them running in.

I have had 20 people drop off this week.  I guess they are calendar challenged.  I was going to have my assistant make calls on Monday, but the flow was so steady, I decided to hold off.  Now she'll have far fewer calls to make.  I'm down to 2 or 3 that i haven't heard from, but it was 25 or so at the beginning of the week, so I think it's pretty standard!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

I have not had a chance to look for missing clients yet.  Probably get to that this week.   We are actually ahead of last year on client count, so I have not run the reports to look for anyone who normally is in by now but has not shown.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Is there a report in ATX than can be run that shows dates filed last year (other than just looking at efile manager screen)?  I'm wondering if there is some sort of practice management report.

Just now, jasdlm said:

Is there a report in ATX than can be run that shows dates filed last year (other than just looking at efile manager screen)?  I'm wondering if there is some sort of practice management report.

I don't use ATX, I use my QB files.   I created a report that shows me who has been billed and by date, compared to last year.  If someone was billed last year by the date I run the report but not billed this year, I can spot it pretty quickly. 

I can also run a history report on a client to see every return we billed for an on which date.    Gives me a pretty good idea if they are late.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jasdlm said:

I usually have my staff start calling sometime this week with a message along the lines of 'we are assuming that you have gotten your taxes taken care of, but if you need us to file an extension, let us know'.  Usually brings them running in.

Oh, I love this. 

I'm going to do this when I get a staff.  LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I'm waaay behind on returns prepared. But, the drop-offs started much, much earlier. January was my blizzard of drop-offs that's usually not until the end of February. I'll end up making calls, putting clients on extension that I normally finish preTCJA. I'd offer a discount, but need to increase prices this year. I'm going to have some unhappy clients.

Seeing a significant amount of late filers this year.  Oh well.  I just charge a fee for filing extensions and then they get annoyed that their taxes are completed a few days after 4/15.  Cant pile everyone in by 4/15 is what I tell them.  Get here earlier next year.  But they dont listen.

• Like 2

We keep a spreadsheet of Work In Progress (remnants of my days as an engineer).  we have about a hundred with no papers (some we have heard from, some not).  Next week we start on extensions.  First for all clients underway of that we've heard from, then for the ones we haven't heard from.  Those we'll wait to send in until we have word.

• Like 1

I have been a bit surprised that I have lost hardly any. I had five or six older clients pass away last year. I pretty much replaced them. I rarely raise prices and when I do not by any huge amount. This will not be my best year but all in all I am not unhappy. Getting older having a few less is not a bad idea. Having only 11 weeks instead of the 13 we formerly had is causing me to have to extend a few incorrigible late comers but they will understand. My family has been in some form of small business in excess of 125 years and great service goes a long way. An example. A neighbor for whom I have never done any work called me in a panic. He left a message so I returned his call. His wife said he was out but ought to be back shortly. Shortly thereafter I heard a knocking on my rear door. Sure enough it was him who insisted in an agitated fashion he wanted to come in. I had just gotten up and standing in a bath robe my hair completely uncombed. He stepped into the den and explained he had used Turbotax and made a number of mistakes. I told him not to be too upset that it was only a tax return and could be amended and requested he bring me what he had done and I would amend it. He seemed relieved and went home to fetch his paperwork telling his wife he had seen me naked ! Lord ! The things I have done in this line of work. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Christian said:

I have been a bit surprised that I have lost hardly any. I had five or six older clients pass away last year. I pretty much replaced them. I rarely raise prices and when I do not by any huge amount. This will not be my best year but all in all I am not unhappy. Getting older having a few less is not a bad idea. Having only 11 weeks instead of the 13 we formerly had is causing me to have to extend a few incorrigible late comers but they will understand. My family has been in some form of small business in excess of 125 years and great service goes a long way. An example. A neighbor for whom I have never done any work called me in a panic. He left a message so I returned his call. His wife said he was out but ought to be back shortly. Shortly thereafter I heard a knocking on my rear door. Sure enough it was him who insisted in an agitated fashion he wanted to come in. I had just gotten up and standing in a bath robe my hair completely uncombed. He stepped into the den and explained he had used Turbotax and made a number of mistakes. I told him not to be too upset that it was only a tax return and could be amended and requested he bring me what he had done and I would amend it. He seemed relieved and went home to fetch his paperwork telling his wife he had seen me naked ! Lord ! The things I have done in this line of work. 😀

Full dressed, I charge X, without shirt, I charge 2X and naked, I would charge XXX.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, BHoffman said:

I'm tired and at that stage where staples are starting to bother me...a lot.

I have recently been heard to threaten a $10 fee for EVERY staple I have to remove.  And yes, I have one of the good staple removers.  I still have to stand/sit there and remove them!

• Like 2