ATX Community

Can't get motivated

joanmcq

I spent all day Friday at the vet with a kitty that took sick, put him to sleep yesterday and buried him today. Got a bunch of returns and even thinking about the 2k + vet bill isn't getting me up off the couch. I know you guys will understand. On a nice note, one of the clients I saw yesterday brought in their 8 week old Rotweiler puppy, and cute puppy was really welcome knowing what I was probably facing later in the afternoon..

This is is the third February in a row that I've had fatally ill kitties. 

• Like 6

Had that happen to a little dog three years ago.  Me and my mom were so heart broke and lonely that 10 days later we went in search of someone to love and got our Mickey Boy!  Best decision for us.  It didn't take away the hurt but it gave us something to channel our love to and he in turn has given us so much love.  He is very affectionate so we gave him a middle name.  His full name is Mickey Valentino (Mickey, after Mickey Mouse because we are great fans and associate him with happiness, and Valentino after the latin lover because of his kisses)!

It takes time, but eventually life will go on and the motivation will come back, but I truly do sympathize with you.  Having to put a pet to sleep is very difficult but is sometimes the kindest thing we can do for them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

This is one of the times that clicking a "Like" button just doesn't seem right.  I don't like it, and I am sure you don't either. I am so sorry for your loss. 

This kind of news breaks my heart.  Especially when we have to make the decision.  Our little friends are so helpless...........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcb39 said:

This kind of news breaks my heart.  Especially when we have to make the decision.  Our little friends are so helpless...........

And yet, how much worse it is for them if we do not make that decision.  They depend on us to know better and to act on that knowledge, no matter how much it hurts *us* at the time.  Every one who has chosen to feel the pain and guilt, in order to relieve the pain of a pet, gets the reward of a special kind of strengthening in their character for so doing.  

• Like 2

Oh, Joan, I, too, am so sorry that you've lost this kitty.  It is unimaginable to have this happen 3 consecutive years!  All of us who have or had have pets know too well the pain in your heart at this time.  Several years ago one of our dogs couldn't wait until after busy season but, in a way, having to focus on work helped - a little.  How wonderful for you and the kitty that you had each other for whatever length of time was granted.

• Like 2

Very sorry for your loss Joan.  I too know the sadness when a pet passes, but while it seems so unfair that our pets only live a fraction of our lifetimes we can have comfort that we gave our little ones the best life and love they could ever receive from anyone. 

The time will come when you will be able to give your heart to another, and he or she will add the same to your life again. 

• Like 2

Joan - sorry for your loss.  My 18 year old cat is fading and I dread the time when I have to make The Decision.  We don't get over losing our little pet family members, we just get used to it.  It's hard and it sure hurts for some time.

FDNY - I think pets have a shorter lifespan than we do is because, given enough time, they would find so many ways to manipulate us with their cuteness that we would be their slaves (more than we are now).

• Like 4

How true BHoffman, and noble servants we are.   And the more we spoil them the more they expect.

I remember a comedy skit where it was said that if aliens were watching us walking behind our animals picking up after them, the aliens would think the animals were the rulers of this world.  Maybe they're not so far off for some of us.

I hope this makes you smile Joan, because aliens would probably see us emptying litter boxes too.

• Like 5

Pete was nearly 14, and last year it was Tasha who I got in the same week back in 2002.  Still around is Pete's twin brother, Repete.  And Spot, my feral, and CJ, who my ex dumped on me.  Plus Sweetie Pie, my EXTREMELY elderly dog - I have no idea of her age, but she showed up in 2005.  Already old.  My other dog died last July (yes it's been one after the other but I had a lot of seniors) and in November I went to the shelter and got Tiggy, a pit bull that's as bouncy as Tigger in Winnie the Pooh. And goofy, smart, and the instigator of many Viscous Pit Bull Attacks....most of which involve much licking :)

• Like 5

It was a hard year for me with the pets and family too. Last year 2 of my 4 dogs passed that I still miss terribly, and then a third dog started battling CHF late in the year.  Yesterday she collapsed twice from lack of oxygen for which I gave extra doses of lasix over the course of the day and evening that brought her out of her difficulties.  Those incidents are hard to watch and definitely make it hard to concentrate.

On top of that, for those that didn't see on facebook, my mom fell after Th'giving and had 3 fractures that earned her an 8+ week stay in rehab. Because of intense pain early on, she really only had 3 weeks of therapy before her release last week, so although she is home again and mostly healed, she needs additional strengthening, some amount of help, and for someone to look in on her periodically over the coming weeks as she goes through home-based therapy and transitions fully back to independent living. It's been endless hours with things related to her care, meetings and numerous phone calls, caring for her dog and her house too. I am also the one that accompanies her to all doctor appts, meetings, and wherever else she needs to go.  Thank goodness she only lives around the corner from me, and thankfully my oldest sister has stayed at mom's house for the last week. 

I've never been physically and mentally exhausted like this going into tax season.  Send extra chocolate, would ya?  I'm going to need more than ever.

• Like 2